Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO Remote Streaming

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad HDDVR Genie streaming slingbox

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

The "nada" is no playlist. Keeps wanting to look for nomad over again. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Overall: Very satisfied. I didn't understand the market for the nomad with its weird download feature, but with streaming on the go now working, it is finally a viable slingbox competitor.

I've owned a Slingbox for quite some time and when they first introduced the Nomad, I was skeptical.  I enjoyed having full access to my TV as if I were at home and it was great.  For the most part, it worked great because I had high-speed internet service at home and where I was staying, so seldom did I run into picture quality and streaming issues.

But then I started to do lots more travelling and I was staying at hotels that either didn't have high-speed internet, or they only had WiFi, or even if they did have high-speed, it was unreliable.  This was especially the case when I was at airport lounges. 

So that's when I started to use my Hauppauge HD PVR to record some of my content into MPEGs I can then load on my PC to watch.  That setup worked for a bit, until it obviously became frustrating to have to be at home and babysit the recordings.  Definitely not ideal and that's when thoughts about the Nomad came back to me.

I went back to DirecTV.com and read up on it and realized that the GenieGO was definitely for me!  No more babysitting and it can auto-prepare my content, so that all I need to do is just download when I connect.  Most importantly, no internet connection required! :)  Although the Slingbox still has its place (e.g., I can stream whatever I can watch at home:  NFLST, PPV, VOD, etc.), without a doubt the GenieGO is the better device for watching your content while you're on the go, since you are not at all dependent on an internet connection.

Edited by nuspieds, 04 July 2013 - 03:51 PM.

• KenW likes this

#183 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

The "nada" is no playlist. Keeps wanting to look for nomad over again. 

You can try putting the GenieGo device IP in your router's DMZ. Then turn off wifi on your iPhone, fire up the Genie client and see if you can see the DVR playlist while connected 3G. If that works, you know the issue is with the port forwarding set-up.

/steve

#184 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

Will the windows version run on a windows rt tablet?

#185 OFFLINE   rmonio

rmonio

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

So far so good after enabling my OOH access.  All seems to work fine.  I suspect the only issue I might see is if DHCP has to reallocate a new ip address for Genie due to power failure.  Otherwise it works nice.  Wow.

I would like to see a native iPad and Win8 app as well.  I've had my Nomad since they first came out and I'm happy that DirecTV has continued to work and improve it.

-Bob

#186 OFFLINE   la_nole

la_nole

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Well that is what I have seen on this forum, but I know I read 8084 and 8085for the 2wire router on the directv site.  I will try 8082 and 8083 report back.

Thank you very much.

Update: I changed the port numbers to 8082 and 8083 and I still have the same issues.  I am still getting the message  " Your HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming.  Please try again"  when I try to watch recordings from the HR44.  It's frustrating.  It's busy doing what?

Edited by la_nole, 05 July 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#187 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

2wire Uverse modems are a bit of pain.

I had an easier time with it and posted the port forwarding settings of the same 3800 series in post 68 in this thread.

Never had to touch the DMZ.   The key with the Uverse modem was to forward the ports to the WAN, not the router.

That is strange.  I have mine forwarded to the ASUS router, not the WAN address.

#188 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,837 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Agreed. But thats the only way mine worked.

#189 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Will the windows version run on a windows rt tablet?

Windows RT is a completely different Operating System than Windows.  Programs have to be specifically written for each.

#190 OFFLINE   la_nole

la_nole

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Update: I changed the port numbers to 8082 and 8083 and I still have the same issues.  I am still getting the message  " Your HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming.  Please try again"  when I try to watch recordings from the HR44.  It's frustrating.  It's busy doing what?

All,

Since I am not getting the GenieGo experience yet, can somebody that is enjoying the experience please answer the following questions so I have an understanding of what I am missing?

1. When I am away from home, do I need to be connected to a wi-fi network to view contents in my DVR? Or is 3G in an iOS device sufficient?

2.  Do you experience any "freezing" of video, whether inside your home network, or OOH?

3. Does anybody get the DVR busy message?

Thanks a bunch!

#191 OFFLINE   BruceS

BruceS

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

The only computers I still use regularly are my macs.

Since OOH is not currently available on the Nomad software for macs, has anyone tried installing the Windows version of the software on windows running under Parallels and gotten it to work?
Hitachi P60X901 HDTV
HR21-200, HR20-700, HR24-500, HR44-500
Tivo S3, Tivo Premiere HDXL
Sony BDP-CX960 Blu Ray Player
Sony DVP-CX995V DVD Player
Marantz SR7001 A/V Receiver

#192 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

So far so good after enabling my OOH access.  All seems to work fine.  I suspect the only issue I might see is if DHCP has to reallocate a new ip address for Genie due to power failure.  Otherwise it works nice.  Wow.

I would like to see a native iPad and Win8 app as well.  I've had my Nomad since they first came out and I'm happy that DirecTV has continued to work and improve it.

-Bob

If you have DHCP Reservations set up correctly on your router, it is usually done via MAC address. That way it does not matter what the IP address lease-renewal of the GenieGo is as the ports will be forwarded to whatever IP address the GenieGo is being assigned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#193 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

All,

Since I am not getting the GenieGo experience yet, can somebody that is enjoying the experience please answer the following questions so I have an understanding of what I am missing?

1. When I am away from home, do I need to be connected to a wi-fi network to view contents in my DVR? Or is 3G in an iOS device sufficient?

2.  Do you experience any "freezing" of video, whether inside your home network, or OOH?

3. Does anybody get the DVR busy message?

Thanks a bunch!

1. Streaming will only be available on Wifi. It will not let you stream over 3G.

2. I've had some "freezing" of video during OOH, but usually due to the wifi network that I am on.

3. I haven't had it yet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#194 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

The GenieGO OOH streaming is a mess.  I have 3 DVRs.  The iPhone app always shows all three of my DVRs in the DVR list.  Sometimes it shows recordings from all 3 DVRs in the list.  Sometimes 2 of the 3.  Sometimes 1 of the three.  I have no problem streaming the shows that actually appear in the list.  The problem is that the GenieGo doesn't show all the available recordings from all 3 DVRs.  I've tried resetting the GenieGo and each of the DVRs.  Totally sporadic and fairly useless.  On my iPad, it never shows any recordings from my family room DVR even though that DVR is listed (and enabled) in the list of DVRs.

• Rtm likes this
Go Hoos!

#195 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

The GenieGO OOH streaming is a mess.  I have 3 DVRs.  The iPhone app always shows all three of my DVRs in the DVR list.  Sometimes it shows recordings from all 3 DVRs in the list.  Sometimes 2 of the 3.  Sometimes 1 of the three.  I have no problem streaming the shows that actually appear in the list.  The problem is that the GenieGo doesn't show all the available recordings from all 3 DVRs.  I've tried resetting the GenieGo and each of the DVRs.  Totally sporadic and fairly useless.  On my iPad, it never shows any recordings from my family room DVR even though that DVR is listed (and enabled) in the list of DVRs.

Is one or more of your DVRs an HR24-500? If so, it may be related to this.

/steve

#196 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Is one or more of your DVRs an HR24-500? If so, it may be related to this.

Nope.  I have two HR24-100s and an HR20-100.  The troublemaker is one of the HR24-100s.  The other HR24-100 shows up fine.

Go Hoos!

#197 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

The only computers I still use regularly are my macs.

has anyone tried installing the Windows version of the software on windows running under Parallels and gotten it to work?

Yes.  I am using Parallels (latest version) running Windows 8, ugh 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#198 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

The GenieGO OOH streaming is a mess. I have 3 DVRs. The iPhone app always shows all three of my DVRs in the DVR list. Sometimes it shows recordings from all 3 DVRs in the list. Sometimes 2 of the 3. Sometimes 1 of the three. I have no problem streaming the shows that actually appear in the list. The problem is that the GenieGo doesn't show all the available recordings from all 3 DVRs. I've tried resetting the GenieGo and each of the DVRs. Totally sporadic and fairly useless. On my iPad, it never shows any recordings from my family room DVR even though that DVR is listed (and enabled) in the list of DVRs.

I've contacted directv about this multiple times since last year how shows randomly disappear from the Nomad/GenieGo 2 HR22-100s and a HR24-100.

http://www.dbstalk.c...e-nomad-issues/

I posted screenshots or error messages I still am receiving today.

#199 OFFLINE   brako

brako

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

I struggled for a couple of days trying to get GenieGo working with out of home (ooh) access.  I had no problem with port forwarding, the clients on my local network worked fine and reported that my configuration was good for OOH, yet I could not access the device from my remote network using my Windows desktop PC at the remote location.  The GenieGo client would prompt me to log in (email address and password) and then report that it could not find the GenieGo device.  Next, I was give the option to search for the GenieGo device by serial number but still no success.

Next, I tried installing the GenieGo client on a Windows laptop while at the remote location and experienced the same results.  Could not find the GenieGo device. 

Finally, I took the laptop into my home network, it connected and worked fine.  Returned to my remote network and it connected and worked fine.

In my trials, it appears that the GenieGo client must first establish a connection to the GenieGo device over your home LAN before the client will successfully connect Out Of Home (ooh).

Can anyone confirm or deny these results?

If confirmed, is anyone aware of a "work around" that would allow you to remotely install and connect a desktop PC?  It's a bit inconvenient to carry a desktop pc from a remote location to your home to do the initial installation and connection of the client to the GenieGo device so that you can carry it back and use the OOH features of the product.

Love the product and totally agree with the comment about integrating GenieGo into the DTV Ipad application.

Bill

#200 OFFLINE   la_nole

la_nole

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

1. Streaming will only be available on Wifi. It will not let you stream over 3G.

2. I've had some "freezing" of video during OOH, but usually due to the wifi network that I am on.

3. I haven't had it yet.

- Merg

Thanks.  My last attempt before I call support back, will be the following: Since I suspect something is going on with the Genie HR44, I will take it offline, and connect the HR24 to the wireless network by itself.  Then I will go through the installation process with the GenieGo and see if everything works OK. I really do want for the GenieGo to work for me as I have been looking forward to this device for a while now.

Edited by la_nole, 09 July 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, HDDVR, Genie, streaming, slingbox

spam firewall