Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO Remote Streaming

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad HDDVR Genie streaming slingbox

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

1. You hook the nomad to your router.
2. The nomad does not use one of your tuners.
3. No idea, but I use my iPad just fine with the current app.
4. Yes, you must call to get it activated on your account, but you can still buy it from 3rd party dealers. Last I checked, SolidSignal sells them for $99. Some have reported delays in getting a used nomad activated on their account; so you might only want to buy a new unit.

Regarding number 4, I don't recall having to call DTV when I activated my GenieGo.   As I recall the app does it when setting it up - although that's just a difference in semantics, as the app is still "calling home"  but online vs using a telephone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

OK. I've got my router configured and my IPAD is all set to go. Is there a new version of the PC app out yet?

HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#23 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

OK. I've got my router configured and my IPAD is all set to go. Is there a new version of the PC app out yet?

I "think" that I have my wife's IPAD all set to go too.   But how can I tell for sure?   Short of hopping in the car and going somewhere to hook up other than my home network.   I do notice something new under "help" - "network assistant" that I seem to pass all 6 connectivity tests.  And I'm no longer getting the set up router, or failed router test when I go to "out of home access" under settings, I get a "congratulations! Your router is set up for GenieGO Out of home access" message.

#24 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Yes, I just finished downloading them and re-installing on two computers.

Just go to www.directv.com/geniego and download them. 

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#25 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

This is great!  Can't wait to get this setup!

#26 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Am I missing something, but is the out of home streaming only for iPhone and PC?  There doesn't seem to be any message about a restriction on the DTV website.  

I have an android phone and the streaming option would finally make the Genie Go worth it to me, but I am not going to plunk down $100 bucks on a 'later this year promise' based on the delays with the original Genie Go android app.

#27 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yes, I just finished downloading them and re-installing on two computers.

Just go to www.directv.com/geniego and download them. 

This worked for me.  Under "system info" old application was 1.4.55.3, new one is 1.5.0.69.    And under Settings down at the bottom I have a "Out of home access is successfully set up" message.    I guess the only way to test for sure it is to go away from my home network.   My old programs downloaded to my PC seem to have migrated to the new app SW version OK.

#28 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Here's a couple of good questions:  Do you have to be on your home network when you inititally set up for "out of home" access?  Or can you do that remotely? 

Are there any special router settings needed?  Or does the app set up process take care of that? 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#29 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

It will allow you to schedule new shows for download when "out of home".  It will not let you remotely copy the transcoded files to your client, however. You must be home for that. Only OOH (and local) streaming is supported at this time.

Looks like I was wrong on my speculation regarding scheduling new shows for download when "out of home" :blackeye:

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,791 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Is the GenieGO wireless? I'm out of Cat5 connection.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Here's a couple of good questions:  Do you have to be on your home network when you inititally set up for "out of home" access?  Or can you do that remotely? 

Are there any special router settings needed?  Or does the app set up process take care of that? 

Special router settings needed -   Yes, you need to set up "port forwarding" to forward a couple of ports to the LAN address of your computer.

Can you do it remotely?   -  No, I don't think so, unless you can access your router away from your home network?

Does the app process take care of that?   -   I think that it can, when going through the set up of "away from home access", one of the options was to let the "set up process" automatically configure the router.   I can't personally say whether or not this works, as I had already set up port forwarding on my router before I loaded the new apps on my PC and IPAD.

#32 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Does the app process take care of that?   -   I think that it can, when going through the set up of "away from home access", one of the options was to let the "set up process" automatically configure the router.   I can't personally say whether or not this works, as I had already set up port forwarding on my router before I loaded the new apps on my PC and IPAD.

It did for me. The PC app gives you a list of routers, you pick your router and it automatically sets it up.

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#33 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Not wireless, gotta be attached with Cat5.   I've got mine plugged into a "switch" quite aways away from my router, switches can be bought pretty cheap.

#34 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

It requires Ethernet but I have mine attached to a DECA in the basement on the wall with my Swims / splitters.  Or a small switch will get you more ports.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Looks like I was wrong on my speculation regarding scheduling new shows for download when "out of home" :blackeye:

Yea ... but I was wrong as well thinking Engadget was wrong as it didn't support OOH streaming, ala the Slingbox. :sure:  

But I really didn't see that feature mentioned in Scott's write up in the first post. :engel08:  

Edited by HoTat2, 27 June 2013 - 10:11 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#36 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

So do I have to download a new PC app or will the old one automatically update?

I downloaded the new version from the DirecTV website as the PC application had no option to check for an update.

#37 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I updated the iPhone app.  Upon launching the new app, I get "Loading GenieGo Content" on the screen for 10 mins.  Then it said there is no recorded content and hung the app.  When I restarted, I get the same "Loading GenieGo Content for 10 mins.  I haven't seen any option to set up my router.  I am not on my home network.

Go Hoos!

#38 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I updated the iPhone app.  Upon launching the new app, I get "Loading GenieGo Content" on the screen for 10 mins.  Then it said there is no recorded content and hung the app.  When I restarted, I get the same "Loading GenieGo Content for 10 mins.  I haven't seen any option to set up my router.  I am not on my home network.

"I am not on my home network"   -   I think that is your problem, the new app wants to hook up with your home network and "do some magic" in order to set up "away from home".   It's probably "hanging" because it can't hook up with the GenieGo box.

#39 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

What do you do if you dont have one of the routers on the list? I checked the onlline list and mine is not there.

I have to wait for andriod again so I guess there is no hurry. Soon

#40 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

What do you do if you dont have one of the routers on the list? I checked the onlline list and mine is not there.

I have to wait for andriod again so I guess there is no hurry. Soon

You need to forward ports 8082 and 8083 to the IP of the geniego.  The geniego should be listed in your DHCP list or you can set a DHCP reservation for it's MAC address outside of the DHCP Range.  There's no way to set the geniego to a Static IP.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, HDDVR, Genie, streaming, slingbox

spam firewall