Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO Remote Streaming

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad HDDVR Genie streaming slingbox

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work "outside of the home" yet? I haven't, and am wondering if it's "just me", or are others experiencing problems as well. Thanks

Maybe my problem is from using the public library's wifi for a test drive. Maybe they have their wifi set up some way to prevent downloading files etc. Otherwise somebody would be camped out here watching something prohibited all day long.

So has anybody out there had "success" yet??

Edited by willardcpa, 27 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   realfan

realfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just set my ipad with the new release. I am in London watching everything on all four of my DVRs at home. I also used the regular app to set a new recording and can basically watch it on Genie a minute after it starts recording. So I am practically streaming live TV from my US home to my London hotel room. This is awesome!!!
  • keebler21 likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

That is awesome! Tonight, I may be able to do streaming to my apartment from my home, a vast distance of 60 miles......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

That is awesome! Tonight, I may be able to do streaming to my apartment from my home, a vast distance of 60 miles......

Lax, there's a good chance your 60 miles will travel a thousand or more on the internet!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#55 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sorry to introduce confusion.   The only reason I mentioned the HRXX was to draw attention to the way DTV was instructing us to set up two "lines" of port forwarding for the GenieGO.   With each "line" dedicated to one of the ports (8082 and 8083) instead of one "line" with a range of 8082 to 8083.   I actually set mine up for port forwarding yesterday after reading the manual, and used the "range", and then this morning I saw that it needed separate "lines" for each port.

Depending on your router, the range may work as well as two individual lines.

I have a Linksys with dd-wrt and the IOS client set up port forwarding as two individual lines.

#56 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work "outside of the home" yet? I haven't, and am wondering if it's "just me", or are others experiencing problems as well. Thanks

Maybe my problem is from using the public library's wifi for a test drive. Maybe they have their wifi set up some way to prevent downloading files etc. Otherwise somebody would be camped out here watching something prohibited all day long.

So has anybody out there had "success" yet??

I think you'll find some locations limit their public access to ports 80/443 for surfing and some email ports.

#57 OFFLINE   realfan

realfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just set my ipad with the new release. I am in London watching everything on all four of my DVRs at home. I also used the regular app to set a new recording and can basically watch it on Genie a minute after it starts recording. So I am practically streaming live TV from my US home to my London hotel room. This is awesome!!!

Let me add that I did nothing more than update my app and it automatically worked. I was out of the country when the update came through. Pretty seamless. The only downside is that the video quality is OK when watching a home DVR show on my ipad via wifi. The downloaded shows on Genie which I transferred to my ipad are of a higher quality.

#58 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Sorry for the noobish sounding networking question dennisj00;

But you say DHCP reservations are setup "outside" the router's DHCP range?

Again, It may depend on your router, but I like to set Statics and since I can't do that on geniego, I set a reservation for its MAC address outside of the normal DHCP range.  All my Directv addresses are grouped together.

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Since I have an AirPort Extreme, I had to set up my router manually. Very easy. tried it in the morning using a customer's WiFi and it work flawlessly.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I think you'll find some locations limit their public access to ports 80/443 for surfing and some email ports.

That may have been my problem.   I abandoned the Public Library.    Right now I'm parked in a McDonalds parking lot, using their wifi.   Everything works on GenieGO.   Did find out that it will only stream to one thing at a time.   Sitting here in the car I tried to simultaneously stream to my wife's IPAD and my laptop.   The second one on wouldn't stream and gave me a message to the effect that it will only stream to one thing at once.

Everything was coming in fine on the IPAD.   On the laptop, I'm getting some "freezes", so something somewhere is slowing things down.   Probably my home network/DSL, as I've noticed before that it is kind of slow.

#61 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

can you stream on a mac using a browser?

#62 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

can you stream on a mac using a browser?

No
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#63 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,827 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

On the laptop, I'm getting some "freezes", so something somewhere is slowing things down.   Probably my home network/DSL, as I've noticed before that it is kind of slow.

When you are in a location that supports streaming, a steady 1-1.2 Mbps upload and download speed will provide you the best image quality, equivalent to what you'd see streaming on your home LAN.

/steve

#64 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

When you are in a location that supports streaming, a steady 1-1.2 Mbps upload and download speed will provide you the best image quality, equivalent to what you'd see streaming on your home LAN.

Right, which for a phone I consider to be good quality
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#65 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

No

Thanks. So looking at years for a Mac solution or another technology form DIRECTV by the time they get this one out, lol.

is there a PC program? Not the DIRECTV2PC thing either.

#66 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks. So looking at years for a Mac solution or another technology form DIRECTV by the time they get this one out, lol.
is there a PC program? Not the DIRECTV2PC thing either.

there is a current GenieGo app for Mac OX but it does not support OOH streaming yet, is slated for this fall

There is a PC app for the GenieGo that was updated today to support OOH
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#67 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Well, there's my problem with freezes right there.  From my end to the internet my upload speed is a little less than 1 Mbps.   One of the prices I pay for living out in the "boonies".   I talked to a Qwest repairman about it once, and he told me not to complain to "headquarters" about it  - said it's the best I could get - and since Qwest had a policy of 100% customer satisfaction if I complained they would tell me that I couldn't get DSL and shut me off!!!!??

#68 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Passing along some info that may help others.

I had to port forward both my uVerse modem and Netgear router.

uVerse modem has ports 8082 and 8083 forwarded to public IP address.

Netgear router has the same ports forwarded to the Nomad/GenieGo hardware reserved internal LAN address  (192.168.x.x)

The above combo was necessary for the streaming to work out of home.

#69 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Passing along some info that may help others.

I had to port forward both my uVerse modem and Netgear router.

uVerse modem has ports 8082 and 8083 forwarded to public IP address.
Netgear router has the same ports forwarded to the Nomad/GenieGo hardware reserved internal LAN address (192.168.x.x)

The above combo was necessary for the streaming to work out of home.

Is the Uwho a gateway? or just a modem?
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#70 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Is the Uwho a gateway? or just a modem?

Actually, it's an iNID system.  

#71 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Lax, there's a good chance your 60 miles will travel a thousand or more on the internet!

Well, not tonight. SOL on both iPad and Mac, even though the set up set it was set.

I am confused about the Mac version. The one I downloaded from the app store this morning is the same version ( 1.3.080 (71717))  we've had for months, at least it looks the same. It is, however, ca. 8 Megs vs. the test version of ca. 12 Megs....... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#72 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

there is a current GenieGo app for Mac OX but it does not support OOH streaming yet, is slated for this fall

There is a PC app for the GenieGo that was updated today to support OOH

But current Mac program will allow in house streaming? Thats all I want/need for now.

#73 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

I was able to setup mine last night.  Although I have a Buffalo router running a version of DD-WRT so I had to locate where the settings need to be since D*TV didn't have the screen shots for me.  I'll post mine here so maybe would help anyone else running DD-WRT...  took a router reboot and a few extra minutes for GenieGo app to start working properly.  Going to test everything is workingn properly out of home later today.

Attached Thumbnails

• GenieGo02.JPG
  • GenieGo01.JPG

#74 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,161 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

But current Mac program will allow in house streaming? Thats all I want/need for now.

Yes
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#75 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I was able to setup mine last night.  Although I have a Buffalo router running a version of DD-WRT so I had to locate where the settings need to be since D*TV didn't have the screen shots for me.  I'll post mine here so maybe would help anyone else running DD-WRT...  took a router reboot and a few extra minutes for GenieGo app to start working properly.  Going to test everything is workingn properly out of home later today.

I also have a Buffalo router--an older G version---and the Genie PC app found the router and opened the ports without problem.
It seems to be working on laptop, iPad and iPhone, although I had to delete and reinstall the app on the latter. It was stuck on loading content, and the problem repeated even after rebooting the phone. Reinstall fixed it.
Haven't had a chance to check it on wifi outside the house yet. I have a strange craving for Starbucks today.
  • keebler21 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, HDDVR, Genie, streaming, slingbox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...