Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Building new home- considering D*

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'd think a dedicated ground wire from the mount to the houses electrical ground would also suffice would it not? I hate the thought of ever running my LV cables near electrical panels much less next to electrical wire if I don't need to.

This is done everyday. It does not necessarily needs to be right next to the electric panel, since you can run a #10 for a max of 20 feet
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

I should have asked is it reasonable to expect that a DirecTV install not have exposed wiring outside my home?  I've noticed many times where the satellite dish is installed on the roof with wires hanging off the gutter and side of the house.

This would be a deal-breaker for me.  I'd like for the install to not have wiring exposed as much as possible.

Is this a realist expectation?

If you leave the entire install up to DirecTV when they show up, you can expect a lot of visible outdoor wiring. They will wrap the outside of the structure and punch through into each room you want service. It should be done very neatly, but it will certainly be visible.

If you pre-wire as recommended, then the DirecTV installer will only need to run coax from the dish to the location where you have pre-wired to your outside location. That should be done in a neat manner, but it will obviously be some outside wiring.

#23 OFFLINE   appstate

appstate

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

To everyone- thanks for your input.  I'm meeting w/ the builder and sub this afternoon.

#24 OFFLINE   appstate

appstate

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Just an update...

I met with the AV guy earlier this week.  I must say- I'm suffering from sticker shock.  The house is spec'd to have 1 data/cable outlet per room.  

I asked to have additional drops in a few rooms in case we want to place the TV in a different spot.  He's quoting us $150 per additional drop.  We're looking at $730 for 5 additional drops.

Is that a reasonable price???

(He didn't even quote me on running cable to the attic for the satellite.)

#25 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

That sounds crazy high to me, that's more what I'd expect if they were having to fish them through already finished walls. Maybe they just have one standard price that covers all install scenarios that doesn't make sense for doing an install during construction. If this is the AV guy that's already doing the other wiring in your house then it makes more sense - those doing new home construction work usually have really high change fees because they don't like changes after the design is "finalized" but know that homeowners will want them and see it as a source of big profit.

If you have the time and inclination, you could do this yourself, or offer to pay a friend to do it for you. It could be done in the late afternoon after all the construction guys have left the site so you won't get in their way. Cable is cheap, and it would be so easy to do before the drywall is up. I'd recommend doing it after the electrical and plumbing is run to avoid doing something that gets in their way. I wouldn't even talk to the GC about this, he'll come up with a bunch of reasons why it is a bad idea to do any work yourself but it is unlikely anyone will notice a few extra cable runs or know it was the homeowner who did it.

If you do mess something up somehow it is unlikely to cost more than $730 to fix it, so you still come out ahead :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Just an update...

I met with the AV guy earlier this week.  I must say- I'm suffering from sticker shock.  The house is spec'd to have 1 data/cable outlet per room.  

I asked to have additional drops in a few rooms in case we want to place the TV in a different spot.  He's quoting us $150 per additional drop.  We're looking at $730 for 5 additional drops.

Is that a reasonable price???

(He didn't even quote me on running cable to the attic for the satellite.)

If they home runs, that's about right.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   appstate

appstate

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks AllStar for your feedback!  

The builder spec'd that each room have 1 drop for cable/cat5.  They also spec'd 7.1 in the great room.  

The AV guy is a regular sub contractor and the builder uses them for all their jobs.  

I should note that the construction is more of a spec home.  The builder owns the land and waits until a buyer makes on offer on the new home.  Then the builder will allow the buyer to customize and make changes.  

We- the buyer- don't have a say in who the subs are... at least that's how the builder explained.  But I'm going to ask the builder if we can look else where for additional quotes.

#28 OFFLINE   appstate

appstate

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Also- regarding the drops.  The AV guy is running cable to a central board (is that the right terminology?) where all the cable will be organized.

Thought I should include this so you can get a better understanding of what they are providing.

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

I would not recommend doing any type of wiring during constructin without the GC approval. If you do something not to code or spec, the rework charges to fix it will be well beyond what they are quoting you for the drops.  Someone said "that sounded about right", I don't know, but agree it sounds high.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I would not recommend doing any type of wiring during constructin without the GC approval. If you do something not to code or spec, the rework charges to fix it will be well beyond what they are quoting you for the drops.  Someone said "that sounded about right", I don't know, but agree it sounds high.

Awesome comment NOT to get dismissed.  In order for you to be able to run the cable yourself you will have to be licensed and insured.  The price quoted is about the standard charge for new construction "additions" or changes to the current plan

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   appstate

appstate

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses.  I'm definitely NOT going to try and DIY.  

I just wanted to get some opinions on the quote I received.  I don't want to be the guy who tries to lowball contractors; nor do I try to devalue what AV contractors offer.  

I don't like it when my clients try to commoditize what I do.  

I just worry that he's going to bend me over with over priced wiring. When I told him I would supply the HDMI cables, he gave me the "don't buy Monoprice $2 HDMI cables" speech.  His HDMI cables are $79.  Monoprice is $20.  I also told him if I hire him for installation, I'll supply the TV mounts too.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ouch! 

The roof may or may not be the best place for your dish. Min is located on the wall, just under the peak of the roof, and a tree on one side blocks it from view while it has a clear shot at the satellite. It may also make a difference to what the roofing materials are-mine is a tiled roof! But aesthetically, a side mount may be a nice alternative. 

Best of luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I just worry that he's going to bend me over with over priced wiring. When I told him I would supply the HDMI cables, he gave me the "don't buy Monoprice $2 HDMI cables" speech.  His HDMI cables are $79.  Monoprice is $20.  I also told him if I hire him for installation, I'll supply the TV mounts too.

Well, he can only guarantee what he supplies.  and that might be part of the cost. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I find myself in the exact same situation as the OP and wanted to ask a followup if I could.  

Why 2 coax cables at every spot?  I thought that all the receivers including Genie can get all they need from 1 coax cable now...am I incorrect?

If that is correct, are the extra cables just there for future purposes?

Thanks. 

Edited by TDockUSC, 09 July 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

I find myself in the exact same situation as the OP and wanted to ask a followup if I could.  

Why 2 coax cables at every spot?  I thought that all the receivers including Genie can get all they need from 1 coax cable now...am I incorrect?

If that is correct, are the extra cables just there for future purposes?

Thanks.

Yes, it is futureproofing. When the house is being built the cost difference between running one cable and running 4 to a location is insignificant. Even in a retrofit the cost is in the wallfishing, might as well pull 4 while you are doing it. The second coax could be used for many things, what comes to mind quickly would be OTA or cable internet with DirecTV for TV.

I would also pull two data cables to each location for the same reason. One for phone and one for data, I use CAT5/6 for both again for futureproofing

My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, it is futureproofing. When the house is being built the cost difference between running one cable and running 4 to a location is insignificant. Even in a retrofit the cost is in the wallfishing, might as well pull 4 while you are doing it. The second coax could be used for many things, what comes to mind quickly would be OTA or cable internet with DirecTV for TV.

I would also pull two data cables to each location for the same reason. One for phone and one for data, I use CAT5/6 for both again for futureproofing

Thanks for the reply.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  

#37 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Obviously you need enough coax for what you need to do today, or could reasonably see yourself doing in the future - so you need one now, but maybe want two if there's even the slightest chance you might want to add an AM21 for OTA capability, or might become one of the crazy people who pay for both Directv and cable TV. But four? I have a hard time seeing any possible future where you'd ever need that. Yeah, its cheap to pull, but a lot of people seem to go crazy with pulling coax that they never use, kind of like all the "smart" people a decade ago who thought they were being smart pulling fiber in new construction which isn't and will never be used in a home environment by consumer products.

You're much better off pulling extra cat5/cat6 than pulling extra coax. There will never be any new technologies that use coax, but at some point everything that uses wired cabling aside from 120v/240v AC is likely to converge on cat5e/cat6a. For instance, the new HDbaseT spec will see TVs soon available for sale that include RJ45 connectors for HDMI input. There is more and more (typically commercial so far) audio equipment that uses cat5 for balanced line level audio. It is often used in low voltage applications for carrying IR and various sensor inputs for burglar alarms, water alarms etc. Security cameras often uses cat5 these days, even when it is a simple composite video signal (if for no other reason it makes it easier to upgrade to IP cameras in the future, which of course use cat5 and are often powered via the same cat5 cable)

At some point in the future I think we'll start seeing cat5/cat6 replacing coax for cable and satellite TV. Instead of sticking five tuners in a Genie, stick 8 or 16 tuners on a single chip in a SWM multiswitch or SWM LNB and have it output a single cat5 cable carrying the tuned channels via IP that DVRs, receivers or RVU devices can select. There's a lot of coax already out there so it won't be something they'll retrofit, but I could easily see it becoming the preferred method for new installs within the decade.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Obviously you need enough coax for what you need to do today, or could reasonably see yourself doing in the future - so you need one now, but maybe want two if there's even the slightest chance you might want to add an AM21 for OTA capability, or might become one of the crazy people who pay for both Directv and cable TV. But four?

I dont think longrider meant that "literally"  more like figurative speech

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Rereading my post I can see how it could be taken that way but the four included the 2 data - 2 coax and 2 data to every location

My Setup

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

That pricing is not out of line for a good quality installer.  

Mono price is good cables, as long as you get the right ones.  Ask him what brand and where he gets his.

Ask for additional empty 2 inch conduit run from the main location where all the home runs go to the attic, and if possible also to the main tv location int he house.

And if you can get a bigger home run spot, do it.  They are often smaller than they should be...

spam firewall