Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Almost Human

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm recording it but I'm waiting to find out it won't be cancelled before I start watching.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,122 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Actor Michael Ealy plays the psychologically dysfunctional cop's buddy role well. I liked him in "Common Law" on USA. It is that interaction that could make this show work, though if Fox has big ratings expectations they may have a problem.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

THAT'S where he came from. . . Been wondering where I had seen him before. I actually liked that show and it was the again the relationship between the characters that made it work.

Don "probably makes this one doomed too" Bolton

Actor Michael Ealy plays the psychologically dysfunctional cop's buddy role well. I liked him in "Common Law" on USA. It is that interaction that could make this show work, though if Fox has big ratings expectations they may have a problem.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#24 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Love this show so I am sure it will get canned.  I also liked Common law, glad to see both leads in other shows already, although the white guy was killed off White Collar after only a few eps.  However they are doing the makeup on the synthetics, be it with CG or actual makeup, it looks good, in that they do not quite look human.  I am kind of surprised Karl Urban is doing the show, I figured he was "too" big to be doing a new scifi show for a network.

#25 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

According to IMDB he is a successful actor, but really not "too" big. His Star Trek role has been about his only big role, and that is certainly a door-opener, but I do not find it surprising that he would take the lead in a net drama. He's pretty good; I'm glad he did.

Michael Ealy actually has one more credit on IMDB than Karl Urban (36 vs 37) but of course nothing as big as Star Trek. I could not get into Common Law, which I am surprised to see only ran 12 eps--I thought it had at least two or three seasons. But I have seen him in a number of other shows and always thought he was pretty good as well. I think he may have found the tone for Dorian pretty quickly, and I am pleased to see how well he is doing in this role.

It's a pretty great cast; Lilli Taylor is always good and is well-cast here, as is Minka Kelly. I don't like seeing Michael Irby as a professional foil (I'd rather see him as a good-guy hero), so I hope they find some detente or at least grudging respect for each other as the show goes along. He is sort of the Kevin Alejandro character from Golden Boy here, although the role is probably a lot smaller.

So far we have no family components, no love interests or triangles, no Lex Luthor-like running nemesis roles. Maybe that is why at this point the show feels a bit unlayered and more of a pure procedural. Hopefully they will have a long enough run to add those components as things go along.

The Sunday ep sampled well, and the Monday ep nearly tied DWTS, which just edged it into a strong 3rd place.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#26 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Love sci-fi and was hopeful on this. But the flagrant yet weak Bladerunner ripoff vibe, the stupifyingly generic bad guys, the bland dialog and obvious, derivative robot gags just got to be too much. Minka Kelly is gorgeous, but she was the only character on FNL that couldn't act, and she still can't. Can't see this escaping the early hook.

#27 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Just to be picky -- I agree that 2048 is far fetched. Cars don't look that futuristic. Segway seems out of place. Weapons appear dated. The producers did fairly well with Fringe, but I think this is a work in progress. I'll continue to watch it, but expect improvement or the show is doomed to a short run.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#28 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just to be picky -- I agree that 2048 is far fetched. Cars don't look that futuristic. Segway seems out of place. Weapons appear dated. The producers did fairly well with Fringe, but I think this is a work in progress. I'll continue to watch it, but expect improvement or the show is doomed to a short run.

Actually 2048 looks like what I expected 1998 to look like back in 1958. Still looking forward to my flying car and trip to Mars for vacation. :)

Edited by yosoyellobo, 20 November 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I watched both episodes last night and also couldn't help but think that the costs would quickly get out of hand leading to the series getting canned. But I've come to accept that the shows I enjoy usually don't make it past the first or second season. 

HR34-700, HR22-100, R22-100, H23-600, C31

#30 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Actually, the second ep wasn't half bad. Much better writing. The running gags between the partners started to pay off, the characters were working much better, much better crime premise. Though Minka Kelly still has just once expression: that simpy little perma-smile, even in the middle of a crisis.

#31 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

Watched both episodes now and will continue to record the show, I liked it the way is flows.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#32 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Though Minka Kelly still has just once expression: that simpy little perma-smile, even in the middle of a crisis.

What more do you what. :)

#33 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, she can perma-smile all she wants if its directed towards me.

I would like to dial down into one narrow aspect of the show, which is the Skynet paranoia of computers taking over. We have had this fear, sometimes irrational, and lately not irrational at all, since the 50's when automation appeared in factories in a big way. I often joke to my friends "the machines have won", because there are often moments when it seems as if they have.

And it really is not a joke, more gallows humor. AH taps into that in a serious big way. The emotionless MX's represent that pretty handily. And the irony of the DRN model being "too human-like" and therefore replaced by cipher-like cyborgs is really biting social commentary on that whole subject.

So that may be a running theme that can be a touchstone for the series. I know that idea resonates with me pretty loudly, as I work in an industry that has recently bet on technology as their future and has cut a lot of jobs now done by computers and even robots (and left us Engineers to create and install and maintain those systems).They shouldn't hit us over the head with it, but the idea that the future can and will be both utopian and dystopian at the same time is something to run with, especially since much of that future is already here.

Edited by TomCat, 21 November 2013 - 07:38 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#34 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well I watched the first two eps just to see if it was going to worth keeping a timer set up for it. Well it was ok, I really liked the two main characters and their interaction, that part seems to work really well. As for the rest well I'm willing to see how it develops. I'll keep recording it, not sure when I'll get around to watching, it might be one of those that I let build up for a few eps and then watch them all back to back to get a better feel for it.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#35 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

That's a good plan, most likely.

I am not sure why binge-watching seems so odd to me. It just never has suited me; the closest I ever came was 3 eps of NYPD Blue in a row, probably 18 years ago. I finally got the entire 62 eps of Breaking Bad in the marathon last month, but I have only seen 13 of them so far. At this rate they will last until 2015 or beyond (assuming the DVR lasts that long). I also have moods; I'll watch Justified nearly every week, never getting more than two eps behind, and then I'll let the last 5 eps of a season pile up and not touch them for nearly a year. No idea why.

But binge watching, now that it is available due to marathons, DVRs with large HDDs, and entire seasons released at once on Netflix, should be normal. After all, who reads one chapter of a dozen books before reading the next chapter, which is analogous to how I watch TV? Nobody has 14 current books sitting there with bookmarkers half-way through.

We normally read one book all the way through before starting another. Some people actually eat that way; all the potatoes, all the vegetables, then the main entree. That is even crazier than how I watch TV.

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Actually 2048 looks like what I expected 1998 to look like back in 1958. Still looking forward to my flying car and trip to Mars for vacation. :)

I wonder how many years Popular Science has spent predicting flying cars.  Does PS still exist?  Would you be able to text and fly at the same time?  I guess you'd get a FUI if you drank while flying.    

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Briefly put:  I like this show.  Hope it does well.  

Rich

• tsmacro likes this

#38 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Briefly put:  I like this show.  Hope it does well.  

Rich

After watching the first two, I'm encouraged and am hoping it does well also. There's definitely room for it to grow and I hope it does.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

That's a good plan, most likely.

I am not sure why binge-watching seems so odd to me. It just never has suited me; the closest I ever came was 3 eps of NYPD Blue in a row, probably 18 years ago. I finally got the entire 62 eps of Breaking Bad in the marathon last month, but I have only seen 13 of them so far. At this rate they will last until 2015 or beyond (assuming the DVR lasts that long). I also have moods; I'll watch Justified nearly every week, never getting more than two eps behind, and then I'll let the last 5 eps of a season pile up and not touch them for nearly a year. No idea why.

But binge watching, now that it is available due to marathons, DVRs with large HDDs, and entire seasons released at once on Netflix, should be normal. After all, who reads one chapter of a dozen books before reading the next chapter, which is analogous to how I watch TV? Nobody has 14 current books sitting there with bookmarkers half-way through.

We normally read one book all the way through before starting another. Some people actually eat that way; all the potatoes, all the vegetables, then the main entree. That is even crazier than how I watch TV.

I happened to mention to my doctor several years ago that I was reading nine books currently.  Turned out I had a pretty bad problem with caffeine, especially Pepsi One (or Pepsi 1, I dunno) which, while low on calories was loaded with caffeine and was the reason my mind was so active I couldn't sleep.  

I'd much rather binge watch than wait for weeks and try to remember what happened way back then.  I recently watched the complete Breaking Bad series from start to finish.   Didn't take that long and I never lost track of what was going on.

Rich 

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,122 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'd much rather binge watch than wait for weeks and try to remember what happened way back then.  I recently watched the complete Breaking Bad series from start to finish.   Didn't take that long and I never lost track of what was going on.

I don't think I could do that. Without commercials that's something like 48 hours of video.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall