Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Lost SD locals after upgrade to Genie

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   booster94

booster94

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yep;

WHAM-13 (ABC) secondary SD sub-channel WHAMDT2-14 (CW).

On the 119 DIRECTV-7S bird, spotbeam tp. 31,

Yep, so I called DirecTV last night and it was a two-pronged issue.    First, I was receiving distance network CW automatically because there was no Rochester CW when I was setup at my current residence.  I never asked for it, its just what they provided automatically.  I was told after 2010 they stopped doing this automatically.  When i got my equipment upgrade I lost my distant network since now the equipment was activated post-2010.  Then since Rochester CW became available via DirecTV just last month and was on the 119 I couldn't get it without a Slimline 5.

So I had two options, request to get my distant network back, or get a new dish just so I could get that one channel.  I went with the former and they approved it.

Side note: Any idea why CW isn't in HD?  I know local affiliates might not be HD but I thought at least the national feed (washington & san diego) would be but they aren't either at least on DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

So I had two options, request to get my distant network back, or get a new dish just so I could get that one channel.  I went with the former and they approved it. ...

They shouldn't of had to change the entire dish assembly, but just swap out the LNB for a SL-5 had you selected that option.

But didn't you say earlier that 119 was blocked or severely obstructed at your location anyhow?

Side note: Any idea why CW isn't in HD?  I know local affiliates might not be HD but I thought at least the national feed (washington & san diego) would be but they aren't either at least on DirecTV.

I've never understood why DIRECTV left their HD DNS service short that way.

They've had the big four in HD for years now which is fine and well, but never seem to make any effort to complete the package by keeping the CW and PBSNET in SD.

I don't know whether its bureaucratic inertia or what,  but seems big companies just do inexplicable things like this that defy obvious logic at times.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#23 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

We get the CW in HD here south of and in Houston on channel 39 and PBS in HD here on channel 8.

Might just be whatever the local station decides to send to DTV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   booster94

booster94

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

We get the CW in HD here south of and in Houston on channel 39 and PBS in HD here on channel 8.

Might just be whatever the local station decides to send to DTV.

Hmm.  I would have thought the DC and San Diego markets would have had them too since that Directv was using as the National feeds for East and West coasts.  Its killing me to have to watch Arrow and Supernatural in SD when I know is out there in HD somewhere.  they should use whatever market gives them an HD feed as a national feed.

#25 OFFLINE   booster94

booster94

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

So I had two options, request to get my distant network back, or get a new dish just so I could get that one channel.  I went with the former and they approved it. ...

They shouldn't of had to change the entire dish assembly, but just swap out the LNB for a SL-5 had you selected that option.

But didn't you say earlier that 119 was blocked or severely obstructed at your location anyhow?

I've never understood why DIRECTV left their HD DNS service short that way.

They've had the big four in HD for years now which is fine and well, but never seem to make any effort to complete the package by keeping the CW and PBSNET in SD.

I don't know whether its bureaucratic inertia or what,  but seems big companies just do inexplicable things like this that defy obvious logic at times.

The 119 was definitely blocked at my old mount  location.  I think I would have been okay at the new pole mount location, but I didn't want to press my luck.  The CSR told me I would need a slimline 5S, and that model very specifically.  She referred to it as dish 18.  I'm not even 100% sure that is right, but since I wasn't pursuing that option I wasn't going to get into it with her.

#26 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hmm.  I would have thought the DC and San Diego markets would have had them too since that Directv was using as the National feeds for East and West coasts.  Its killing me to have to watch Arrow and Supernatural in SD when I know is out there in HD somewhere.  they should use whatever market gives them an HD feed as a national feed.

They do have them in HD, however the HD versions are on spot beams while the SD versions are on the Conus beam.

As for why they're not on the national Conus beam as well, it's likely the bandwidth crunch until D14 goes live. Having the Big 4 in HD via DNS, in addition to any upcoming national HD channels (along with whatever bandwidth they might be reserving in the event they come to terms with channels like CSN Northwest, CSN Houston, Pac 12, etc) would have higher priority over having DNS versions of The CW and PBS in HD.

Edited by KyL416, 27 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

It is the 18th dish in the line of choices.

The legacy Slimline 5 is number 4 in the list.

1- Round 18

2- 3 LNB 18X20

3-SLIMELINE 3

4-SLIMELINE 5

5-ROUND 18" & 72.5*

6- 3LNB 18" X 20 " &72.5*

7- SLIMELINE -3 & 72.5*

8- SLIMELINE -5 & 72.5*

9-ROUND 18" AND 95*

10- 3LNB 18 X 20 & 95*

11- SLIMLINE 3 & 95*

12- SLIMELINE 5 & 95*

13 - ROUND & 72.5* &95*

14- 3LNB 72.5 & 95

15- SLIMELINE -3 & 72.5* AND 95*

16- SLIMLINE -5 *72.5* AND 95*

17- SLIMELINE - 3S(SWM)

18- SLIMELINE - 5S(SWM)

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...