Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can Intel’s Web TV Compete With Dish and DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Can Intel’s Web TV Compete With Dish and DirecTV?

Intel Corp. has decided to enter the pay-TV game, and the chip-maker is confident it can get the programming it would need to compete with Time Warner Inc. and DirecTV.

Intel’s plans for a set-top box offering internet-based television were presented Wednesday at the TV of Tomorrow conference in San Francisco. Intel wants to offer streaming TV through the internet like Netflix or Hulu Plus, but with more programming options and a higher price tag like traditional cable.

Intel hasn’t revealed how much the service will cost just yet, but the company said it wants to build a customer base similar to the major satellite cable operators DirecTV and Dish Network. Intel is in talks to get programming from Time Warner, Comcast Corp.’s NBC Universal, and Viacom, with deals that could include popular stations like CNN, USA Network, and MTV.

2657260007_469c2c55fc_z.jpg
Cheatsheet.com

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

To me this makes no sense at all.  Bring in a higher cost service that depends on you having a good enough internet service that you also pay for to get it?

Sounds like a formula for failure to me.

• harsh likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

To me this makes no sense at all.  Bring in a higher cost service that depends on you having a good enough internet service that you also pay for to get it?

Sounds like a formula for failure to me.

I don't think folks who sign up for something like this will be adding an ISP - they will already have and be paying for one.

So - the cost/benefit analysis done by those folks will be to compare their current TV service only vs. the À la carte service Intel is proposing and not bundle in what they are already paying for their current internet service.

For example, I have Charter cable as my ISP, and D* for my TV.

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't think folks who sign up for something like this will be adding an ISP - they will already have and be paying for one.

The issue isn't having to add an ISP but having to significantly upgrade your broadband Internet services to make up for the performance hit. When you subscribe to CATV for their products, most everything travels in different bands. Intel's product is forcing everything into your Internet connection.

It is one thing to stream a single movie but it is an entirely different proposition to have to stream everyone else's TV viewing at the same time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

We have enough higher priced services.  We need lower priced services with comparable content offerings.

If by 'higher priced', they mean $20 instead of NF's $10, they may be OK.

I they mean $50 or $60 or more like current satellite and cable, forget it.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

The article says their target pricing is in the mid-range.  Above Netflix/Hulu type pricing, but below a typical cable/sat bill.  They will go forward if they can secure content and keep their pricing in that range and attract those who want to spend less but have more offerings than a Netflix can offer.

I'm guessing they will appeal to folks who want to spend about $50 per month for about 20 of their favorite channels.

#7 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

The article is vague enough that you really can't say where the pricing will end up.  In one place it says:

Intel’s plans for a set-top box offering internet-based television were presented Wednesday at the TV of Tomorrow conference in San Francisco. Intel wants to offer streaming TV through the internet like Netflix or Hulu Plus, but with more programming options and a higher price tag like traditional cable.

And in another it says what you have said.

And yes, many would have to up their broadband service to make good use of it.  Multiple TVs will make your internal network an issue possibly also.  And then there is data caps to consider.  While most services are not capping yet, most have already indicated that they will at some point in time.  Or like Frontier locally, they have a 'fair use' policy that gives them the ability to cap but are not actually doing it yet.  Throw in a bunch of subs to a service such as what Intel is proposing and I think you can expect data caps to become a huge issue.

Again, from my POV, this is a non-starter for a profitable business venture.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

It's a bit vague for sure, however.....

This is Intel we're talking about.  Very deep pockets and certainly not dumb or naive.  

Also, by the time an idea like this can really take off our broadband connections will likely be better than they are today.  They'll have to be for the reasons you've stated for a service like this as well as all of the other things we'll all be connecting to the 'net in the future.

Either way it will be interesting to see what they will have to offer.

#9 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Could this be what it might look like?  A mid-priced 60-90 channel offering for $35?

http://www.dbstalk.c...for-35-monthly/

#10 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Update: Intel Gets Cold Feet, Wants to Dump Web TV Business on Verizon

Intel's interest in TV may be waning
Chip maker Intel had big plans to bust into the TV business and offer a streaming solution to subscribers by the end of the year, but delays due to licensing negotiations may be wearing thin on the company. 

Intel already had to put its plans on pause and look to launch its service in 2014, but as more time has gone by, it appears Intel may want to jump ship before it leaves shore, and pass that captain's hat over to Verizon.

verizon_van.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

I am definitely switching over from dish to verizon/intel if this goes through. They will definitely have distant locals, and the signal will be coming through the cellphone tower. I am sure verizon will make sure they are streaming at optimal signal to the receivers, I am guessing.

#12 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

I am definitely switching over from dish to verizon/intel if this goes through. They will definitely have distant locals, and the signal will be coming through the cellphone tower. I am sure verizon will make sure they are streaming at optimal signal to the receivers, I am guessing.

I would be interested to see where you see that they would provide locals of any kind let alone distant networks.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

I would be interested to see where you see that they would provide locals of any kind let alone distant networks.

Its live tv and coming through the internet. Through the internet we are free to use whatever news paper we want being from cali or hawaii, and there is some local stations out there that have live feed on the net as well. For the federal government, to block our ip address to access the la times or ny times because we dont live there, would be missed. 

#14 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

What makes You think they would use the Cellular network. It doesn't have enough bandwidth for that. Why would Verizon not just cover the area they already have Fios installed.

the wireless carrier take over all or part of Intel Media, the division in charge of building a web-based subscription TV service.

When The Power went out in my area due to Sandy last year, The Cellular Towers were overloaded in many locations. The only time my Brother could get a dial tone to call out was after Midnight. My Wired Phone in the same location kept on working for incoming and outgoing calls. Guess whose Not cellular phone he was using to make calls. If the service is that marginal to begin with............

Did I mention his cellular AKA Wireless service was with Verizon. In this area they already have FIOS. Fios Internet could handle streaming or Fios TV as already is here too.

Verizon would be under the same constraints  as far as locals as any other provider.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#15 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Its live tv and coming through the internet. Through the internet we are free to use whatever news paper we want being from cali or hawaii, and there is some local stations out there that have live feed on the net as well. For the federal government, to block our ip address to access the la times or ny times because we dont live there, would be missed. 

Newspapers and local channels are completely different. Distant networks services will not be provided through any ipTV and most won't even bother with locals as their goal is to try and keep costs down. 

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Newspapers and local channels are completely different. Distant networks services will not be provided through any ipTV and most won't even bother with locals as their goal is to try and keep costs down. 

How about streaming internet radio from another state, they would need to put regulations on that...only difference would be one has picture feed and the other is audio feed.

#17 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

How about streaming internet radio from another state, they would need to put regulations on that...only difference would be one has picture feed and the other is audio feed.

There already are regulations on it. The same that impact OTA TV. You do not see anyone rebroadcasting radio signals without consent of the radio stations. This is why iheartradio and other websites exist. They are either owned or have agreements with the broadcast owners. 

Even AERO understands they cannot sell the stations to people outside of the markets they broadcast in. I know there are people gaming the system but those are people intentionally lying not a company doing something it can. Distant network services will not happen over IPTV unless the stations go from locals to national cable only. The only draw here is for sports and you the leagues will do everything they can to protect and preserve their market rights for the teams. This will never be an easy way to get around broadcast rules.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...