Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Universal Sports in HD?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

With the Olympics coming up, does anyone know if DTV will ever turn on USN in HD??

Thanks in advance..

jk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I have been hoping for Universal Sports in HD ever since it was launched.  No one knows when it will be on DirecTV until either it shows up on the Sixto report or one party releases a press release.  So far, neither of those have happened.  I agree that with the Olympic trials (but Olympic games themselves will not be on Universal Sports), the English Premiere League, and all of the cycling events that are on Universal Sports, it should be in HD.

#3 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

With my location in the designated market area of Detroit, Michigan, I have the following area providers for cable-television programming:

DirecTV (national)

Dish Network (national)

AT&T U-verse (national)

Comcast (franchised)

Wide Open West (franchised)

None of these providers carry Universal Sports HD.

Is this a major f*** up from Comcast/NBC Universal? (It shouldn't be that difficult.)

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

What Olympics?

• mikeal likes this

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

they are going to put some Premier League games on Universal Sports?  I hope they aren't any games of much interest, if the channel isn't going to be in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Where I live, Comcast doesn't carry Universal Sports at all (SD or HD).  They used to when it was an NBC sub-channel, but when the OTA feed was discontinued, so was the feed on Comcast.

We subscribe to both Comcast and DirecTV, and we have to rely on DirecTV for a Comcast-owned channel. Go figure.

#7 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,172 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

What Olympics?

winter olympics next february

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

they are going to put some Premier League games on Universal Sports?  I hope they aren't any games of much interest, if the channel isn't going to be in HD.

It is only speculation.  All we know for sure is that all of the Premier League games will be on one of the NBC owned station, and Universal Sports is an NBC owned station.  So far, there have been no schedules published of which games will be on which channels. 

Universal Sports HD launched in June of 2012, but so far, it is only available on one or two small cable companies.  None of the major carriers have it yet, but it is not correct to say that the channel is not in HD - it is just not in HD on DirecTV, Dish, UVerse, Comcast, TWC, . . .

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Universal Sports HD launched in June of 2012, but so far, it is only available on one or two small cable companies.  None of the major carriers have it yet, but it is not correct to say that the channel is not in HD - it is just not in HD on DirecTV, Dish, UVerse, Comcast, TWC, . . .

The same thing seems to be true with chiller (owned by NBC as well) available in HD on one or two small cable companies

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#10 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

In all of NBCU's press releases and press conferences regarding the EPL, there has been no mention of Universal Sports carrying any games.

I originally thought they would carry some, just to get more cable / sat companies to carry the HD signal.

As it turns out, NBCU is only a minority owner of the channel, the majority of shares belonging to InterMedia Partners, a private equity investment firm.

Having said all that, I still want the HD version asap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...