Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Video when recording programs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have been recording "I Love Lucy" on Hallmark Channel. Several times, the THR 22 shows it recorded the 30 minute program, but there is no video. I have read about this issue before.

It is bad enough the D* created, or contracted to create a basic dumb DVR for all of the TiVo fans, ( and I admit that I am one of them)  and then D* won't support it or care enough to have directed the software designers to implement the features to work with the all home network, but not caring enough to update the firmware to fix some of the issues with it is shameful. Then D*  advertises it in their commercials as a wonderful DVR. I am sure that when anyone calls in about it, the csr pushes their DVR's saying If you want a whole home network, the TiVo won't work with the Gene system.

I had such high expectations when the THR22 came out, and then the big letdown when it was just a glamourised VHS tape maching that just recorded programs, with no support and didn't interface with any of the D* DVR's. It has been and is still an outcast child of D*.

Although I am a long time subscriber,( And a Big fan of the D* TV service)  I also feel that it is better than Dish or cable, It makes me very sad that with todays technology they would not make it compatable with their network. How many years did it take them to write the software and come out with the box? 3? Guess it would have taken another 3 years to have it talk to their boxes.

Would like to think that they would come out with a second generation TiVo DVR that would work with the whole home network, but most likely I will be pushing up daisies before that would ever happen.

Too Bad, Too Sad

Edited by BAMCAT, 27 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

What the THR22 would and wouldn't do was substantially known well before its release. Hoping that it would be(come) more than that was not supported by history nor announced plans.

That the product isn't seeing much in the way of fixes and/or refinements from TiVo is a shame but at the same time I'm guessing the Return On Investment is relatively small.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Until the unit is released, you can never tell what  functions it will  or will not support.

There was one feature that worked right at release, then it was disabled. It was something like Kids corner, I can't remember the term.

It was on the inbeaded firmware when the box was powered up for the 1st time, but when the firmware was upgraded over night, or when the box called home, can't remember which, that feature was gone. D* just doesn't want the THR22 to come anywhere near competing with their mainline boxes.

If D* wanted the THR22 to work with the all home network, it would be able to do so with the software installed.

For all we know, the whole home feature is already inbeaded in the THR22 firmware, but disabled.

I don't think that anyone has hacked the box at all for some reason, or they are not talking about it

Those dedicated hackers always rise to a challange, but seem to be avoiding the THR22 for some reason.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Until the unit is released, you can never tell what functions it will or will not support.
There was one feature that worked right at release, then it was disabled. It was something like Kids corner, I can't remember the term.
It was on the inbeaded firmware when the box was powered up for the 1st time, but when the firmware was upgraded over night, or when the box called home, can't remember which, that feature was gone. D* just doesn't want the THR22 to come anywhere near competing with their mainline boxes.
If D* wanted the THR22 to work with the all home network, it would be able to do so with the software installed.
For all we know, the whole home feature is already inbeaded in the THR22 firmware, but disabled.
I don't think that anyone has hacked the box at all for some reason, or they are not talking about it
Those dedicated hackers always rise to a challange, but seem to be avoiding the THR22 for some reason.

You are giving TiVo coders to much credit. I don't see anyway they have Whole Home Service ready to go and just not enabled.

And that's great no one had been able to hack it as that was a major requirement for TiVo to get back into DIRECTV good graces.

If TiVo gets Hulu you can forget about TiVo careing about any DIRECTV or cable driven box. If they don't I still think if TiVo had half a brain theyd try to get there hands on a genie and build a whole new GUI for it. They just really screwed themselves with the current unit and its really all their fault cause they just don't care.

And anyone that thinks Netflix etc is missing should have know it was never going to be there on a DIRECTV unit in the first place.

#5 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

I have been recording "I Love Lucy" on Hallmark Channel. Several times, the THR 22 shows it recorded the 30 minute program, but there is no video. I have read about this issue before.

It is bad enough the D* created, or contracted to create a basic dumb DVR for all of the TiVo fans, ( and I admit that I am one of them)  and then D* won't support it or care enough to have directed the software designers to implement the features to work with the all home network, but not caring enough to update the firmware to fix some of the issues with it is shameful. Then D*  advertises it in their commercials as a wonderful DVR. I am sure that when anyone calls in about it, the csr pushes their DVR's saying If you want a whole home network, the TiVo won't work with the Gene system.

I had such high expectations when the THR22 came out, and then the big letdown when it was just a glamourised VHS tape maching that just recorded programs, with no support and didn't interface with any of the D* DVR's. It has been and is still an outcast child of D*.

Although I am a long time subscriber,( And a Big fan of the D* TV service)  I also feel that it is better than Dish or cable, It makes me very sad that with todays technology they would not make it compatable with their network. How many years did it take them to write the software and come out with the box? 3? Guess it would have taken another 3 years to have it talk to their boxes.

Would like to think that they would come out with a second generation TiVo DVR that would work with the whole home network, but most likely I will be pushing up daisies before that would ever happen.

Too Bad, Too Sad

Unfortunately, the quick answer is to do a reboot if a show has no video that was recorded, as it usually fixes the problem. 

Regarding KidZone, it was supposed to be a feature but was scrapped because the HD DirecTiVo already had parental controls in the software.  There was a press release years before the HD DirecTiVo came out with the feature-set of what it would do (even before WHDVR entered), the only surprise again was KidZone being dumped, and the other one was ABC, CBS and NBC on Demand not included because the FF thru commercials could not be deactivated. 

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#6 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

My THR22 is starting to exhibit this problem on an increasingly frequent basis. For a while, it would be just the first couple of minutes of recording that were black, but now whole recordings have no video. My HR44 records these just fine.

If it were up to me, I'd ditch the THR22 and keep the HR44. but my wife prefers the TiVo UI and is unwilling to give it up. (Maybe if I encourage the THR22 to misbehave even more, that might convince her?) We're trying rebooting and seeing how much that accomplishes.

Steve

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

What is it she prefers on a TiVo?

#8 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

The consistent UI and ease of finding things. Even after several years of the DirecTV UI, I still occasionally have trouble navigating, pressing down when I need right, trying to find things among the ads, etc. She would be happy with the THR22 if it did what it was supposed to.

Steve

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

ADS?

I am really getting upset about my hd Tivo. The reliability of this thing stinks. The latest 'adventure' was no sound, until I booted it.  Anyway I was thinking about getting rid of it and getting a HR44. But ADS?  You mean I have to see ads while using the GUI?  I know that my Tivo does have some one liner ads, but I can ignore those. Just how bad are those ads?

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

they are not really advertising products, more like promoting movies that DirecTV wants you to watch

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I guess I will need to see these 'ads' in person. As I am the only crazy one with a Tivo HD in the neighborhood, I will go to a neighbors house and check them out. Thanks for the reply.

#12 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Actually, the TiVo ads are more annoying than the DirecTV ads. They're actual product ads in the UI, where for DirecTV they're programming promotions in the guide.

Steve

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

One liners don't bother me. And that is what I see in the gui. So will need to see what the ads look like in a D* dvr.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

a quick goggle search turns out this

http://s299.photobuc...ect_ad.jpg.html

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ah, so THAT is the ads that are seen on the D* DVR. That might not be such a big problem for me. I had visions of X amount of seconds of advertising...thanks

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I had visions of X amount of seconds of advertising...thanks

not not at all…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...