Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish vs Media General 6/30 deadline extended to 9/30... Now what?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

The Southwest Times of SW Virginia says that Dish is still trying to work a deal with Media General's 17 stations before a June 30 deadline.

http://www.southwest...dish-customers/

TV Predictions agrees.

http://www.tvpredict.../dish062713.htm

According to TV Predictions, here are the affected stations:

WVTM Birmingham AL

WKRG Mobile AL

WFLA Tampa FL

WJBF Augusta GA

WRBL Columbus GA

WSAV Savannah GA

WHLT Hattiesburg MS

WJTV Jackson MS

WNCN Goldsboro NC

WNCT & WSPA Greenville NC

WJAR Providence RI

WCBD Charleston SC

WBTW Myrtle Beach SC

WJHL Johnson City TN

WCMH Columbus OH

WSLS Roanoke VA (not "WSLA" as stated)

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

Dish customers should call the people that buy adds on the TV station, they are spending the same money for a 30 second add but dish customers will no longer see it.
This will make think about where the real money comes from
This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ho hum another DISH dispute.  June 30th stations go dark.  By July 14 th one of the 2 caves in and everything is back to normal.  Smart customers have installed a TV antenna and didn't really see any problem.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,832 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Ho hum another DISH dispute.  June 30th stations go dark.  By July 14 th one of the 2 caves in and everything is back to normal.  Smart customers have installed a TV antenna and didn't really see any problem.

+1

I do watch OTA as well as Dish....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

According to TV Predictions, here are the affected stations:

WVTM Birmingham AL[/size]
WKRG Mobile AL[/size]
WFLA Tampa FL[/size]
WJBF Augusta GA[/size]
WRBL Columbus GA[/size]
WSAV Savannah GA[/size]
WHLT Hattiesburg MS[/size]
WJTV Jackson MS[/size]
WNCN Goldsboro NC[/size]
WNCT & WSPA Greenville NC[/size]
WJAR Providence RI[/size]
WCBD Charleston SC[/size]
WBTW Myrtle Beach SC[/size]
WJHL Johnson City TN[/size]
WCMH Columbus OH[/size]
WSLS Roanoke VA (not "WSLA" as stated)[/size]

WNCT is Greenville, NC
WSPA is Greenville/Spartanburg, SC

Edited by jacksonm30354, 28 June 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Americast 1999-2001

DirecTv   2001-2010 3 HR22s, 1 R22

FoxTel    2010-2011 2 iQHDs

DirecTv   2012-2014 HR34, 2 C31-700s, H25

Comcast   2014-     Tivo Roamio Pro, 3 Tivo Minis, 2 Motorola DTAs.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

As I said when dtv dealt with tribune. Shut them down and make the other side cave. There shouldn't even be fees for over the air.

#7 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I just saw a crawl at the bottom of my screen saying they have extended a deal for another 90 days.  So in three months we can do this all again.

#8 OFFLINE   tombo114

tombo114

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

You realize that SCAM DIGITAL OTA signals do not travel as far as the old ANALOG OTA so your suggestion for those people just to put up an OTA xhannels is malarkey, since MANY people who before could get ANALLOG OTA channels cant get nothing OTA since the bogus digital the FCC allowed signal does not travel as far.

All this is babysteps to elimanating OTA all together, by 2020 you will either need cable or Satellite or ISP deliveed for locals, since they are being phased out

Edited by tombo114, 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Ho hum another DISH dispute.  June 30th stations go dark.

Raycom Broadcasting and Mediacom cable are fussin' at each other too (unless they settled today).

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#10 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

You realize that SCAM DIGITAL OTA signals do not travel as far as the old ANALOG OTA so your suggestion for those people just to put up an OTA xhannels is malarkey, since MANY people who before could get ANALLOG OTA channels cant get nothing OTA since the bogus digital the FCC allowed signal does not travel as far.

All this is babysteps to elimanating OTA all together, by 2020 you will either need cable or Satellite or ISP deliveed for locals, since they are being phased out

Where did you get all that stuff about Digital not working as well as analog? I know of places where they get reliable digital TV at well over a hundred miles. The biggest difference is between the "slops all over everywhere" nature of low-band VHF analog signals, and the "line of sight" nature of UHF channels (which many digital signals are, now).

As for the government and the broadband industry trying to eliminate OTA TV altogether............I agree with you, 100%.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Resurrecting this topic from the dead... since the 90 day extension has now expired.

Last I looked, I still had WNCN on my receiver... but haven't heard if there has been another extension OR if we are just waiting for the shoe to drop.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Apparently the takedown happened around 2:00am EDT.  I wasn't watching then to know for sure, but WNCN is gone and replaced with a slate saying Media General wants 4x the money and doesn't want to accept an offer from Dish to pay what their competitors are paying and did not agree to let Dish continue having the channel while they talk.

Will this last?  Who knows... but I assume the other Media General owned channels went dark at the same time.

#13 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

WCMH in Columbus is now off.

Not a big deal to me since I have an antenna in my attic and I can get the signal OTA.  But of course the guide does not show the correct programming.  I wish that Dish could figure out a way to have the guide correct for the OTA channels when this type of thing happens.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

There is no "figuring out a way"...  Dish has no motivation to help the OTA station when they are in a dispute... so they don't.  Dish could uplink EPG data if they wanted... although as James described in another thread, the data does take bandwidth so they can't just go nuts with the data... but it isn't a matter of being unable to keep EPG data, it is a matter of being unwilling.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'd think puttin the data in would put more pressure on the channel because the consumer wouldn't even know the difference for the most part if they are using over the air.

#16 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well, if Dish could show the guide data for the OTA channel and they choose not to do so, it's kinda infantile, isn't it?  It's not going to stop anyone from getting around it with a manual timer.  It just makes it inconvenient.

Now I'm mad at Dish.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#17 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

From today's Multichannel News story:

In a statement, Dish said Media General rejected its request for a second extension until Media General is acquired by Young Broadcasting, a  broadcaster with which Dish already has an existing retrans agreement. That deal that is expected to be completed later this year.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#18 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am one of those impacted by this mess. Any chance of getting a free OTA adapter from Dish. It would go a long way to allowing me to say, hold out for ever Dish.

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,832 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Doesn't your TV have a built in OTA ATSC tuner ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well, if Dish could show the guide data for the OTA channel and they choose not to do so, it's kinda infantile, isn't it?  It's not going to stop anyone from getting around it with a manual timer.  It just makes it inconvenient.

Now I'm mad at Dish.

Usually I find that BOTH sides in these kinds of disputes do things that are "infantile"...  Both sides end up negotiating from a point of "I'll take my ball and go home"...  which is, frankly, their prerogative to do so... but it doesn't win any friends.

I'm for stations asking for whatever they can get... and I'm for Dish trying to pay as little as they can get away with...   and while I'm affected by this particular dispute, I hold fast to my "let it go dark if that is what it takes" mantra.  Whether it is a channel I watch or don't watch... I'm ok... I do wish these companies would learn to do these negotiations better.

I mean... Media General wants to be carried by Dish...  Dish wants to carry these LiLs...  they should be able to agree on something without throwing tantrums, name-calling, starting "be my friend but not THEIR friend" Web sites, etc. etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...