Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish vs Media General 6/30 deadline extended to 9/30... Now what?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

I mean... Media General wants to be carried by Dish...  Dish wants to carry these LiLs...  they should be able to agree on something without throwing tantrums, name-calling, starting "be my friend but not THEIR friend" Web sites, etc. etc.

Especially with Media General selling out to Young. It is almost like it is one last hurrah for a dying company.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yep - I agree Stewart. I'm affected by the same channel you are, and if I REALLY want to  watch that channel OTA - I can. But there is not much (if anything) on NBC that I watch.

Besides OTA antenna -  those members that have cable internet may want to hookup a TV to that connection and do a channel scan for cable channels. It's possible that your local Media General station is available on cable. It certainly works in our area (except for the ABC station) -  at least for now.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#23 OFFLINE   tenwinecans

tenwinecans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Media General wants 4x the money and doesn't want to accept an offer from Dish to pay what their competitors are paying  

Does anybody know what exactly is Dish and it's competitors paying for these local channels?   

I pay $6 extra each month to get 5 local channels on my Hopper.  Since two have disappeared

due to this dispute with Media General, shouldn't Dish only charge me only $3.60 per month?

Will an USB OTA adapter for the Hopper allow me to get those two channels?  Or are they also 

blocked from the program guide?

:)

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

You will get OTA channels if you have the OTA adapter... but you will not get EPG data for dropped channels.  We've discussed that a few times in this thread and others...  so you can watch OTA live and set manual timers to record when you know something you like will be on... but no traditional timers or PTAT will be useful while the dispute is ongoing for that particular channel.

Meanwhile...

I forget where I read it... but I read somewhere a quote from a Media General rep that said they were only asking for "pennies a day per subscriber"...  so, one has to assume that means at least 2 cents per day right?  2 cents per day is 60 cents per month...  that seems like a lot compared to some other channels that we know about.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#25 OFFLINE   kregster

kregster

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Dish's announcement on the channel now says Media is wanting three times more.  It was five times earlier today.  Sounds like Media is coming down on the asking price.  Hopefully things get worked out soon.  I don't like it but I really don't see why the stations should get paid because the more people that see the station the more their revenues.  Without Dish they have less advertising revenue plus no money from Dish.  Dish might lose some subscribers but the stations really stand to lose out. 

#26 OFFLINE   Daggett

Daggett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

The one or two shows I watch on NBC can easily be seen OTA. I hope Dish really creams them.

#27 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, I too forgot to mention that I currently watch very few show on NBC.  I was looking at my timers just yesterday to see what I'll need to manually program.  One show.

Also, I typically take the provider side of things.  If the provider has to pay a lot more, we pay more.  If the provider pays less, we pay less.  It's as simple as that to me.  My bill goes up and up when my programming doesn't change.  I'm OK with it from an inflation perspective but not from a greed perspective.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#28 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Doesn't your TV have a built in OTA ATSC tuner ?

Yes but it does not have DVR capability so that I can record programs when I am not home to watch them.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Things on my local "Don't drop WNCN" Web site that are screwy...

"4. Does DISH Network pay to acquire other channels?

Based on publicly available information, all cable and satellite companies, including DISH Network, pay the owners of most channels that they carry, even those with few or no viewers. We understand that companies such as DISH Network pay substantial fees per month for the right to carry ESPN, TNT, Disney Channel, and others.  These channels have NO local programming, NO local employees, NO local investments, and far fewer viewers than WNCN."

So...  let me take that last sentence one part at a time...

ESPN has "no local programming"?  Well, they do sometimes... when they televise local sporting events.
"No local employees"?  Well, they do sometimes... when they are in the area televising local sporting events.
"No local investments"?  Perhaps.  I don't know how things work with the camera assets and how much of that stays in the area when they leave.

But the last one is a kicker...

"far far viewers than WNCN"?  Ok, WNCN is an NBC affiliate...  last I looked NBC was in last place... and I daresay ESPN has more regular viewers than our local NBC affiliate!

"5. Won't my rates go up if DISH Network has to pay WNCN for its signal?

Whether rates go up depends on decisions made by DISH Network. Like all cable and satellite companies, DISH Network is already charging you to receive WNCN as part of your monthly satellite bill.  In fact, over the past two years, DISH Network has made a profit of more than $2.1 billion on combined revenue of more than $28 billion.  DISH Network could simply re-allocate the fees its pays among those channels that the public really wants to watch. Thus, DISH Network could pay less for, or refuse to carry altogether, channels that its customers don't value nearly as highly as they value WNCN. In any event, we do not control how much DISH Network pays others, how much it charges you, or how it manages its business. We are simply requesting that DISH Network pay a fair market price for our signal, just as DISH's competitors do.  We have and will continue to negotiate with DISH Network in good faith in an effort to successfully complete a deal with them."

Interesting... so, by Media General's own statistics, Dish makes less than 10% profit margin on their revenue.  That doesn't pain Dish as a greedy corporation does it?  7.5% profit margin is pretty darn slim isn't it?  And if Media General truly is looking for 3-4 times their current rates (as Dish has proclaimed) wouldn't Media General be the one trying to grab for profits here?

And... in their own "what to do" scenario, they are actually saying Dish should cut funds to less popular channels!  Which is likely what they are doing in the case of Media General :)  Just giving them what they ask for... stopping paying channels that are less popular :)

"7. If DISH Network stops carrying WNCN, will I get a refund on my satellite bill?

It is up to DISH Network to determine whether they will give you a refund or credit. You should contact DISH to let them know that you will be unhappy if you have to pay for a service you are no longer receiving. The best thing DISH subscribers can do to get our channel back is to call DISH and tell them to stop their DISHruption! Tell DISH you are not getting what you are paying for.  DISH is offering some customers rebates of $5 a month AND MORE, so be sure to ask for yours.  Contact DISH at 1-888-389-1496 and make your voice heard."

Now this one made me laugh...  So...  they are telling you to call Dish and get your $5 discount for not having this channel...  kinda says to me that I should be happy if Dish dropped WNCN, doesn't it?  I lose my last-place NBC affiliate AND can get my bill lowered by $5?  And even better...  Dish is willing to give me a $5 discount than to pay whatever WNCN wants... doesn't that imply that WNCN is "worth" $5 per month?  And is that really what they are asking to be paid?  I don't know... but if you read between the lines, it sure as heck sounds like they want you to think their channel is worth that!

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Media General: "In fact, over the past two years, DISH Network has made a profit of more than $2.1 billion on combined revenue of more than $28 billion."

Over the past two years? Wow ... talk about inflating figures. The last reported quarter DISH lost $11 million. 3rd Quarter 2012 DISH lost $158 million. The other two quarters were decent but in the past four reported quarters DISH cleared $255 million ... on ~14 million customers ... roughly $1.52 per customer per month.

A profit of $1.52 per month per customer doesn't sound good, so Media General has to pad it by going back TWO years ... which is actually a total of $1.483 billion for the past eight reported quarters. Quick ... pad some more by using 2011 and 2012 figures only. :rolleyes:

On an average revenue of $80.90 per month $1.52 profit is 1.9%. Not much.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Media General Stations To Go Back on DISH to Provide Tropical Storm Karen Coverage

RICHMOND, Va., Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Media General today announced that in order to provide the company's local television station viewers with important information about Tropical Storm Karen it has asked DISH Network to restore a number of its stations to the satellite service.

"Providing our viewers with important weather and safety information during storms is an integral part of our responsibility to our local communities," said George L. Mahoney, president and chief executive of Media General. "We will continue to do everything we can to reach a fair resolution with DISH on our retransmission consent agreement that has expired and have our programming permanently restored to the DISH satellite system as soon as possible. We look forward to continuing the conversation with DISH."

The following stations will be back on DISH for the specified periods of time:

Saturday, October 5 at 6:00 AM until Monday, October 7 at 12:01 AM

WJTV / Jackson, Miss.

WHLT / Hattiesburg, Miss.

WKRG / Mobile, Ala.

WVTM / Birmingham, Ala.

As is the case with all extreme weather events, Media General stations also keep people informed on their television station websites as well.

http://online.wsj.co...004-908213.html

#32 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

They haven't been keeping up with Karen, have they?

If it doesn't die out, it may not go anywhere near MS, at least not as any kind of threatening system.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Over the past two years? Wow ... talk about inflating figures. The last reported quarter DISH lost $11 million. 3rd Quarter 2012 DISH lost $158 million. The other two quarters were decent but in the past four reported quarters DISH cleared $255 million ... on ~14 million customers ... roughly $1.52 per customer per month.

A profit of $1.52 per month per customer doesn't sound good, so Media General has to pad it by going back TWO years ... which is actually a total of $1.483 billion for the past eight reported quarters. Quick ... pad some more by using 2011 and 2012 figures only. :rolleyes:

On an average revenue of $80.90 per month $1.52 profit is 1.9%. Not much.

I thought I remembered worse numbers for Dish...  but even the "unicorns and rainbows" that were in what I quoted doesn't make it sound like Dish is stealing our wallets and running off to Bermuda or anything for a hot vacation!

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I thought I remembered worse numbers for Dish...  but even the "unicorns and rainbows" that were in what I quoted doesn't make it sound like Dish is stealing our wallets and running off to Bermuda or anything for a hot vacation!

2011 was DISH's best year ever for profit. The only other time they cleared a billion in a single year was 2005. Through the end of 2012 DISH has made $4.8 billion over 18 years ($269 million per year average).

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Yeah...  whatever else we can (and often do) say bad about Dish... it is kind of hard to talk about them being greedy to the point of lining their pockets with gold.

#36 OFFLINE   Daggett

Daggett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Dish replaced WCMH with WGN here. Turning up the heat a little I guess.

#37 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

yes, dish replaced wspa with wgn in south Carolina, called them when i found out. rep said they were working on our area now to get the station back up. gave me showtime, starz and epix plus blockbuster home for free for 3 months for my inconvenience.

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Since my Media General station is an NBC affiliate, I've been able to catch the couple of NBC programs I want to see via a manual timer and then watch Sunday Night Football live all on OTA...  it would be a little more difficult if this were a FOX or CBS station... but since its NBC I honestly barely notice the channel being gone.

#39 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

unfortunately ours is CBS and cw here, major inconvenience. If they don't agree soon i will cancel dish and go elsewhere. Where we live antenna's are not an option here up in the mountain area.Most of what we watch is on cbs, i can pull the shows from my computer from the cbs website, but that is getting old quick.

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Media General has stepped up the negative talk lately... with some local radio spots... which strikes me as interesting. I mean, do you really need a radio spot to know if a TV channel is gone?  Think about that for a second...  IF I hadn't noticed my local channel was gone from Dish by watching TV...  and I hear about it while listening to the radio... that kind of means I wasn't that concerned about it.

So...  Dish will pay us $5 to not have the channel... and the channel owners will pay for radio spots to bash Dish rather than negotiate.

I think what is most telling is probably that the current Media General owners will not be in charge of things once their merger goes through... which is likely what Dish is waiting for... since they already have a deal with those new owners for other channels.  Hard to blame Dish for not wanting to bend to extortion from the old guard that is on the way out.

spam firewall