Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish vs Media General 6/30 deadline extended to 9/30... Now what?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

I am in Greenville, SC and every day in the paper since this started, Dish has run a full page ad saying how the local station was more interested in money than its viewers, etc. I didn't notice the ad today. I wonder if that means Dish is tired of paying for it or if it has suddenly been settled. Since I have not seen anything here, I am assuming that Dish didn't feel like paying for the add and more. This is coming up on 3 weeks now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

I noticed something similar but opposite recently...  my local WNCN had a "don't drop WNCN" Web site that disappeared within the last week at some point... so I don't know if that means an agreement is coming OR they too got tired of maintaining that site.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Not settled ... DISH is asking the FCC for help.

DISH Calls on FCC to Intervene as Media General Prolongs Blackout
(October 18th)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, DISH Network L.L.C. ("DISH") filed a complaint against Media General, requesting that the Federal Communications Commission immediately require Media General to negotiate in good faith to resolve a blackout that began Oct. 1.

In the Complaint, DISH explains how Media General has breached its statutory duty to negotiate in good faith: "Media General's conduct violates the Commission's rules requiring good faith negotiation for retransmission consent rights, because, among other things, Media General failed to respond for 11 days to DISH's last pre-blackout offer."

Media General blocked programming from DISH customers in 17 markets after a retransmission contract expired.

"DISH customers and Media General viewers were without their shows and events for 11 days before Media General would even contact us," said Dave Shull, DISH executive vice president. "We reacted with a counter offer within hours and Media General has yet to respond. DISH is asking the FCC to act expeditiously to address Media General's bad faith, push them back to the negotiating table and submit to mediation to get programming back to consumers."

In negotiations prior to Media General's takedown, the Richmond, Va.-based broadcaster rejected DISH's offer to match the rates paid by primary pay-TV competitors, and additionally declined to receive the same rates DISH pays to other area broadcasters.

Media General has also tried to force DISH to renegotiate its completely separate deal with Young Broadcasting. Media General is making this improper demand as it awaits its proposed acquisition by Young Broadcasting, currently under FCC regulatory review.

{Station List Removed}

To learn more about DISH's negotiations with Media General, visit www.DISHValuePledge.com.

To read DISH's Retransmission Complaint to the FCC, visit the following:
http://about.dish.co...t-media-general
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Young Broadcasting is ten times worse as Media General.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#45 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Media General Issues Statement Regarding FCC Complaint Filed by DISH Network

SOURCE Media General

RICHMOND, Va., Oct. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Media General issued the following statement regarding the retransmission complaint filed with the FCC today by DISH Network:  

This is the first time in the history of our company that Media General has failed to reach an agreement with a cable operator or satellite carrier. DISH, in contrast, has been involved in 32 take-down disputes with local broadcasters in the past three years alone, affecting more than 120 local television stations. DISH is currently involved in two other take-downs, in addition to its dispute with Media General.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#46 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Non-sequitur.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#47 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

2011 was DISH's best year ever for profit. The only other time they cleared a billion in a single year was 2005. Through the end of 2012 DISH has made $4.8 billion over 18 years ($269 million per year average).

Was that before or after Charlies Billion dollar pay checks?

$269 Mill is a good net profit since that's AFTER all the employees were paid.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#48 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Was that before or after Charlies Billion dollar pay checks?

When has Charlie ever gotten a "billion dollar" paycheck?

Also... how is $269 million a year a good average profit for a company taking in the gross that Dish takes in?

I'll just take a stab at math...  I don't have all the data for that same 18-year period that was used to calculate the $269 average profit...  but for the last 5 years or so, the average gross revenue was around 4 billion.  I suspect their 18 year average gross revenue is lower than that... but lets just use that for fun.

$269 million profit on $4 billion gross revenue is only 6.725% profit margin.

You think that's good for a multi-billion dollar company?

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

Profit isn't bad ... but the point is that Media General's inflated claims need to be read appropriately. DISH is surviving and reinvesting profits into their current and future businesses. They are not making a lot of money on each subscriber (only $3.77 per subscriber per month in 2012 - or 4.8% of the average monthly bill). DISH isn't averaging $2-$3 billion profit per year and making $17 per month per subscriber (17.7% of the average monthly bill).

I would not mind seeing DISH be more profitable but since they get their money from me I'd rather have the lower subscription rates. :)

$269 million is good ... but it doesn't put DISH in the position to say yes to every big demand that little companies like Media General makes.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Well the Dish full page ads about the local media general station are back so I guess we are still going strong with no settlement in sight.

#51 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

When has Charlie ever gotten a "billion dollar" paycheck?

Also... how is $269 million a year a good average profit for a company taking in the gross that Dish takes in?

I'll just take a stab at math...  I don't have all the data for that same 18-year period that was used to calculate the $269 average profit...  but for the last 5 years or so, the average gross revenue was around 4 billion.  I suspect their 18 year average gross revenue is lower than that... but lets just use that for fun.

$269 million profit on $4 billion gross revenue is only 6.725% profit margin.

You think that's good for a multi-billion dollar company?

Really? if my company brought in a net profit of 270 million a year, yea I would say that's good.
Gross means nothing, and again everyone is paid including Charlie, and the company still has 270 million a year left?
Wow better close up shop fast!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#52 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

I would not mind seeing DISH be more profitable but since they get their money from me I'd rather have the lower subscription rates. :)

Why?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

$269 million is good ... but it doesn't put DISH in the position to say yes to every big demand that little companies like Media General makes.

Never said it did.

But I also don't get my rocks of watching Dish or Directv, raking in that kind of money, and crying poverty.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Never said it did.

It isn't all about you ... it is about the thread. You know, the dispute between DISH and Media General? Media General noted how much DISH made over the past two years (going two years to give them a much bigger number than one and to include more profitable quarters than the current ones). Companies worth multiple billions should make multiple millions in profits ... or they can go the way of Media General and go out of business.

This is one last hurrah for Media General. One last attempt at victory before they cease to exist.

But I also don't get my rocks of watching Dish or Directv, raking in that kind of money, and crying poverty.

DISH isn't crying poverty ... they are promoting responsibility. DirecTV is doing the same in their disputes. And since at the end of the day they are spending our money I'm not going to complain too much.

Media General collected $5 million in operating income and had a net loss of $16 million in the 2nd quarter. Should they claim poverty? They are still worth $682 million.

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Really? if my company brought in a net profit of 270 million a year, yea I would say that's good.
Gross means nothing, and again everyone is paid including Charlie, and the company still has 270 million a year left?
Wow better close up shop fast!

I'll try this one last time.

IF you had to spend $95 to get $100 would you consider that  "good"?

IF you had to spend $95,000 to get back $100,000 would you consider that "good"?

It wasn't that long ago that you could earn 5% in a savings account.... so most businesses would definitely NOT be aiming for 6-7% profitability!

Yeah, you'd rather make money than lose money... but if you have to spend 95% of what you make, then that isn't a great profitable business... and certainly not one that just has money to throw around at any and every company that wants to raise your rates.

#56 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

IF you had to spend $95,000 to get back $100,000 would you consider that "good"?

Yes I would

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yes I would

So...  you would give your $95,000 away and couldn't use it for a year just to get $100,000 back at the end of that year?

That's what you're saying is "good" for a company...  nobody considers <10% return on investment a good investment for a company.  It's one thing if you do it with a personal savings account...  think about investing in a multi-year-CD or something where you can't touch that money for 5-10-20 years and then only get 10% return or less...  those are not good investments unless it is purely extra money that you wouldn't do anything with in the meantime.

At this point I can't believe you are being realistic, it sounds like you are just being contrary to be contrary.  Dish is FAR from a perfect company...  but they are by all accounts operating on the slimmest of profit margins for a company of their size.

#58 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Considering the state of the economy, 6.725% is not bad at all.

Solyndra would have loved to have those numbers.

• damondlt likes this
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#59 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

For those of us that can get the local OTA it would nice to have guide information.  To me that's that's the most frustrating thing about this entire, infantile contest of wills.  Since I went through the hassle of putting a good antenna in my attic it would be nice if Dish could provide a guide at the very least for network shows.

It's aggravating that for me, satellite ch 4 is out.  OK, fine.  But OTA ch 4.1 comes in just fine but I have no guide for that channel.  But of course OTA 4.2 that airs reruns of old shows does have guide information!  Why?!  So I can see that MASH is coming on at 8:00 on 4.2 but I'm not allowed to see anything for 4.1?

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#60 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Considering the state of the economy, 6.725% is not bad at all.

Solyndra would have loved to have those numbers.

OF course... but that wasn't the point I was making.  Obviously some profit is better than no profit and both are better than losing money.

BUT... this branch of the conversation started by noting how Media General was painting Dish as some mega-profitable conglomerate who could afford to pay whatever Media General wants...  The facts don't bear that out.  The facts support that Dish is a company that barely makes a profit and can't afford to just take whatever Media General or any other company wants to demand as pay for their channels.

spam firewall