Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have a scheduled install appointment to upgrade my system next week. Presently I have a HR24-200 with esta external HD, HR22-100, and a H24-200 all has worked well with unsupported whole home via Ethernet, I think there are 4 lines from the dish, each dvr has 2 coax lines connected.

With the genie's 5 tuners I decided to upgrade to a supported whole home SWM system. I will drop the H24 and have net of 9 tuners at least for a while, with the genie's capability of RF and IR remote at the same time I may drop the HR22 after viewing it's recording and run component cables to the bedroom and use the RF remote to control the HR44 feed. Not to familiar with the pros and cons of swm, number of tuners and/or opening the door for extra headaches by going over 8 tuners. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.

By the way I have the PP and my cost to upgrade is zero.
Tic

Edited by ticmxman, 27 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

T

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

with 9 tuners you will need a SWM16 switch
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks, 16 anymore problematic than the 8? I talked with a local installer at Macdonalds this week and he alluded to some set ups being a little simpler and less likely to have any issues. I guess I could not use one of the DVR'S tuners to stay at 8 if it would matter.

He also said all he has installed lately are HR44s. This helped me decide to do the install now.
Tic
NW Georgia

Edited by ticmxman, 27 June 2013 - 04:57 PM.

T

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks, 16 anymore problematic than the 8? I

Nope, both are very good
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, 16 anymore problematic than the 8?

[SNIP]

Only for those that can't or don't know what to count to get to 8.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks, 16 anymore problematic than the 8? I talked with a local installer at Macdonalds this week and he alluded to some set ups being a little simpler and less likely to have any issues. I guess I could not use one of the DVR'S tuners to stay at 8 if it would matter.

He also said all he has installed lately are HR44s. This helped me decide to do the install now.
Tic
NW Georgia

That's about all the guarantee that you can rely on. By placing your order for a Genie, it could be HR34 or HR44. There is no model selection.

Just FYI.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#7 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

[quote name="kaminar" post="3151496" timestamp="1372394201"]That's about all the guarantee that you can rely on. By placing your order for a Genie, it could be HR34 or HR44. There is no model selection.

Thanks kaminar, I understand there is no guarantee as to which model, my plan is to ask what they are bringing out when I get the call on the day of the install and reschedule if it is not a HR44. I have a working system so there is no rush. But after what the local installer told me I am optimistic they will have a HR44.
Tic

Edited by ticmxman, 28 June 2013 - 05:00 AM.

T

#8 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I decided a larger HD might be a good idea to pair up with the 5 tuners of the genie. Today at Fry's I picked up a enclosure and a WD 3TB HD (details below) they did not have the WD Green Caviar but had a WD Green. Note the link says caviar but no where on the box I bought does it says this, the model # is correct. Will this HD and HD enclosure work?

A sales person said the difference was that the caviar was a fixed speed and this model is a variable speed.

6761185 Western Digital 3TB Green Serial ATA/600 64MB Buffer Internal Hard Drive - WDBAAY0030HNC
http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Vantec NexStar 3 Hard Drive Enclosure (Onyx Black) NST-360SU-BK
http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Actually this looks more like the one I bought.
http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B004YNQKRG

Edited by ticmxman, 30 June 2013 - 04:05 AM.

T

#9 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

I opened the box to find the actual model # (thanks for the tip Rich) It is a WD 30EZRX and Lucky13 is using one. It could be a little tricky get it working initially as detailed below. But a simple fix if I have the same issue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...08#entry3147864
T

#10 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Install is scheduled for today 12-4pm, no call from the tech yet. We are getting a lot rain today...flood watch and warnings I hope they can get to me. Hopefully they are just delayed.

If I understand my install correctly there is no work on the dish? I have a slimline dish, 4 wires from the dish and unsupported whole home by my network all to be changed over to a supported swm whole home system. If so they would not be out in the rain as my distribution point is in the cellar.

What do you think my chances are of getting a install in this kind of weather?
T

#11 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

SO what was the outcome?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

The tech arrived shortly after my post. The install went smooth and all is working perfectly. The supported system seems a bit more responsive than my home network system. The HR44-700 is very fast. I ended up keeping my receiver. I'll try the 3TB hard drive soon. Very pleased with the upgrade so far.

Edited by ticmxman, 03 July 2013 - 07:05 PM.

T

#13 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...08#entry3147864[/quote]

I opened the box to find the actual model # (thanks for the tip Rich) It is a WD 30EZRX and Lucky13 is using one. It could be a little tricky get it working initially as detailed below. But a simple fix if I have the same issue.
http://www.dbstalk.c...08#entry3147864
Update on the above post.
The HR44 would not format the WD30EZRX. As Lucky13 did I connected it to a HR24 it formatted the HDD and I then reconnected it to the HR44 it then formatted the HDD and seems to be working ok so far. At some point I will connect it to the PC to see if it is using the full 3TB.

After getting the hard drive working I did have a problem come up with the HR44 not being able to use the play list on the HR24. I probably created the issue during the swapping of the drives and the relocating of some connections to my UPS. After searching here and finding a suggestion to check the whole home menu and the status of what each HR was recognizing in the network I determined the HR24 was the problem location. Then as suggested here I ran thru the network set up on the HR24 and this seems to have fixed the issue although I did have to do it twice as the problem returned.

Questions:
1. Is there a topic or tip that has the basic trouble shooting recommendations for the whole home deca system?

2. Is there a sequence that should be followed to reboot the whole home network and deca?

3. When the tech was doing the install he said unplugging the power inserter would cure a lot of issues. Also he said D* required the power inserter to be connected directly to an outlet not to a UPC or power strip. Is this correct?
The deca module is connected to a UPS.

Edited by ticmxman, 05 July 2013 - 07:47 AM.

T

spam firewall