Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Used nomad device

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ewto16

ewto16

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Can I buy a used nomad device or those all leased like other DirecTV equipment? Would any nomad device need to be returned to DirecTV? Do they require an access card or some other configuration that would track that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

There have been a few used nomads/GenieGos for sale, but SolidSignal sells them new for $99 and a couple have reported that they got them free from DirecTV when signing up as new customers.

They are not leased units so you can keep them and when you buy one, it doesn't add time to your contract.  No access card required.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Note that a GenieGO MUST be removed from the previous account FIRST before it can be activated on your account. This is hte steps that seems to be the hardest depending on the CSR
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   ewto16

ewto16

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well I'm already a customer, so lord knows I won't get a free one . What is solid signal? Never heard of it.

So it does have some sort of activation key but it can be moved around?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well I'm already a customer, so lord knows I won't get a free one . What is solid signal? Never heard of it.

Solidsignal is a nice website to get DirecTV gear. The SN of the GenieGO gets tied to the account
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

http://www.solidsignal.com

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

I got a nomad last fall, even though I was a long time customer.  I was calling to complain about what I thought was a bad service call.   Not horrible, but not good, about what I expected with their local contractor and the CSR asked "What can I do to make you happy after your bad experience?"   so I responded, give me something for free and I will probably be fine since I am not all that bent out of shape, and she offered the Nomad, which I took,.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

so I responded, give me something for free .

WOW, poor way of handling things, requesting free stuff because you feel entitled is not on my books.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   MEY54

MEY54

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

I called 2 weeks ago asked for the Genie Go best price was told $99.00. Said I heard some got it for $49.00. Was told I could not get one for that price. Said ok can you tell me when my contract expires. Was connected with someone asked about the $ 49.00 price. Got it for that and free shipping. Good luck.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I called 2 weeks ago asked for the Genie Go best price was told $99.00. Said I heard some got it for $49.00. Was told I could not get one for that price. Said ok can you tell me when my contract expires. Was connected with someone asked about the $ 49.00 price. Got it for that and free shipping. Good luck.

This is a more elegant way to ask for a discount, instead of blatantly asking for it for free
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

I got a nomad last fall, even though I was a long time customer.  I was calling to complain about what I thought was a bad service call.   Not horrible, but not good, about what I expected with their local contractor and the CSR asked "What can I do to make you happy after your bad experience?"   so I responded, give me something for free and I will probably be fine since I am not all that bent out of shape, and she offered the Nomad, which I took,.

WOW, poor way of handling things, requesting free stuff because you feel entitled is not on my books.

This is a more elegant way to ask for a discount, instead of blatantly asking for it for free

I have to disagree. 

With Joe166, he call them about a service call that he thought was sub-par. The CSR was the one who offered him something.

Mey54 called looking for a deal on the nomad and when he was told $99 was the best that CSR could do, he asked to find out when his contract was expiring (when I look at the DirecTV's web site just now, it still list the GenieGo for $149 and SolidSignal is listing it for $119; so he is getting a 'deal'). 

Between the two stories, the second one sounds more like someone who thinks they are entitled.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

They can be sold/transferred, but it is very complicated to get it activated on a new account.  For some reason, I don't think D* anticipated it happening and therefore it's not streamlined.  I know of a customer recently that took over 2 weeks and many hours on the phone to finally get his purchased GenieGo activated.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

I have to disagree. 

With Joe166, he call them about a service call that he thought was sub-par. The CSR was the one who offered him something.

Mey54 called looking for a deal on the nomad and when he was told $99 was the best that CSR could do, he asked to find out when his contract was expiring (when I look at the DirecTV's web site just now, it still list the GenieGo for $149 and SolidSignal is listing it for $119; so he is getting a 'deal'). 

Between the two stories, the second one sounds more like someone who thinks they are entitled.

Wow,  I forgot that I had asked Peds for deportment tips.   Thanks.    I was responding to EWTO who said, that since he was already a customer he probably couldn't get a free nomad.   I told him that I was a long time customer and was given one.   I wasn't advocating calling them and trying to strongarm them or even extorting them by threatening to cancel my service whenever I could.   I simply complained about a bad service call, expressed my disappointment with being treated this way after almost 20 years of faithful payments (my first box was an RCA and my second box was a Sony), and was asked what they could do.   I guess I could have asked that the technician be flogged or put in the stocks in the public square, but I thought an adjustment of my bill might be appropriate, and the CSR suggested the nomad.   I didn't really know what it was, but I figured I could figure it out later.   As it is, I have never used it.  It is sitting near my power strip with three pretty blue lights on it and I expect that with the streaming capabilities, I might start using it.

But thanks for your comments and thanks to Peds for the unsolicited advice.

Edited by Joe166, 28 June 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   ewto16

ewto16

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I've been a customer for about 7 years and I'm out of contract. I think I will call and ask about any offers or deals on one for a long time customer.

Are the solid signal boxes the same as the ones from DirecTV?

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I've been a customer for about 7 years and I'm out of contract. I think I will call and ask about any offers or deals on one for a long time customer.

Are the solid signal boxes the same as the ones from DirecTV?

Same box.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Wow, I forgot that I had asked Peds for deportment tips. Thanks. I was responding to EWTO who said, that since he was already a customer he probably couldn't get a free nomad. I told him that I was a long time customer and was given one. I wasn't advocating calling them and trying to strongarm them or even extorting them by threatening to cancel my service whenever I could. I simply complained about a bad service call, expressed my disappointment with being treated this way after almost 20 years of faithful payments (my first box was an RCA and my second box was a Sony), and was asked what they could do. I guess I could have asked that the technician be flogged or put in the stocks in the public square, but I thought an adjustment of my bill might be appropriate, and the CSR suggested the nomad. I didn't really know what it was, but I figured I could figure it out later. As it is, I have never used it. It is sitting near my power strip with three pretty blue lights on it and I expect that with the streaming capabilities, I might start using it.
But thanks for your comments and thanks to Peds for the unsolicited advice.

Well, the way you made sound before is way different than the way is being described here
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

I don't think I changed anything of substance, but if you do, that is fine.   No problem.

spam firewall