Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FXX - which channel package?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

If they are watching FX they'll know about FXX and find it.  If they aren't watching FX then they won't care about FXX either.

I do think you are overestimating the average person. Plus, that would limit your potential market to only those who already know your channel. How are you supposed to "know" that Parks and Rec reruns are on FXX if you don't already know? Diehards and knowledgeable people like you know but others do not. Bad business for FX and not good for casal viewer either.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I do think you are overestimating the average person. Plus, that would limit your potential market to only those who already know your channel. How are you supposed to "know" that Parks and Rec reruns are on FXX if you don't already know? Diehards and knowledgeable people like you know but others do not. Bad business for FX and not good for casal viewer either.

How do you know?  A search for "Parks and Recreation" will show you.   The channel number is no big deal.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#83 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

How do you know?  A search for "Parks and Recreation" will show you.   The channel number is no big deal.

It is to the vast majority of customers. They don't search for shows. They just look at what is on. You are projecting your knowledge on everyone.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

A lot of casual television viewing isn't about looking for shows one wants to watch but looking to see what is on. For people who "never look up there because it is all sports channels" the current location is not a good place for FXX. But there is no reason to organize a protest ... if people don't find the channel and its content people won't watch it. The "boycott" is just a natural side effect of not being able to find the channel.

I expect the "problem" to be fixed by Fox and DirecTV soon enough. Channel location is just another part of the negotiation process for continued channel carriage.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#85 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

It is to the vast majority of customers. They don't search for shows. They just look at what is on. You are projecting your knowledge on everyone.

What facts do you base your "vast majority of customers" statement on?  You've called all DirecTV customers and taken a poll over the phone?  I doubt it.  I'm sure if you actually did it would be a very small percentage of customers who would care what channel number a channel had.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean a "vast majority" doesn't.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#86 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sports Night was on ABC (Tuesday 9:30 PM ET), West Wing was on NBC (Wednesday 9:00 PM ET the first six years).

While I would not be surprised to hear that there was a nod to Sports Night by showing a clip on West Wing (perhaps after Sports Night left the air) I do not find a mention of it on http://westwing.bewarne.com/overlaps/ ... which is a decent site about West Wing (at least for the early years). In any case, a commercial free transition between the two shows would not have been possible airing on separate networks.

darn you are right it wasn't wear wing. But it was a show now ill I nuts trying to remember which one as I know it leed to sports night.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#87 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I bet a lot of folks, those without DVRs that is, do surf a lot more than we do, and probably in a fairly small set of channels, mainly the Networks, ESPN and whatever premiums they've bought. So, some set of folks may well miss that channel due to its location, but I am not concerned for their well being, nor do I think it's a big number. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#88 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

What facts do you base your "vast majority of customers" statement on? You've called all DirecTV customers and taken a poll over the phone? I doubt it. I'm sure if you actually did it would be a very small percentage of customers who would care what channel number a channel had. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean a "vast majority" doesn't.

I have seen polls in the past that show this but its been a few years and can't remember where but the majority if people without DVRs did simply channel surf and look in the guide rather than search. I don't recall what it said for people with DVRs. And again that was a while ago. But still lots of people do still just channel surf believe it or not.

I think that one obvious way to see that this is still relevant is how DIRECTV moves channels around and how espn and CNN still keep their channel placement via contracts. They want I be easy to find for channel surfers or guide surfers.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#89 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

But still lots of people do still just channel surf believe it or not.

Oh I believe it.  It's just not a "vast majority" though.  It's a sparse minority.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#90 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

What facts do you base your "vast majority of customers" statement on?

Oh I believe it. It's just not a "vast majority" though. It's a sparse minority.

Do you have any scientific results to share or is your opinion on this matter also simply your opinion on this matter?

Not that there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion ... but it seems that both opinions are just as valid.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#91 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

darn you are right it wasn't wear wing. But it was a show now ill I nuts trying to remember which one as I know it leed to sports night.

"An episode of Spin City ended with Michael J. Fox's character Michael Flaherty flipping on a TV and tuning in to watch Sports Night (meaning Sport Night the-spots-show-within-the-sitcom, not the sitcom itself). ABC then segued right into Sports Night without stopping for a commercial break. Get it? Unlike most crossovers where they advertise "Hey, crossover! Come watch!" in this case the crossover was unannounced and more just a way to keep viewers from thinking they had an opportunity to change the channel."
http://www.poobala.c...nandsports.html

#92 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

What facts do you base your "vast majority of customers" statement on? You've called all DirecTV customers and taken a poll over the phone? I doubt it. I'm sure if you actually did it would be a very small percentage of customers who would care what channel number a channel had. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean a "vast majority" doesn't.

I'm basing it on knowing a lot of people and everyone of them surfs the guide. I even do.

Also, on the obvious importance that directv puts on channel placement. And the huge value OTA folks put in their branding of a channel number even to the extent of using fake numbers in psip data. And the ton of discussions about it and people wondering on it.

I have all the research the entire business does on this. You have your own habits and project them onto everyone else.

Why are you defending the 619 placement anyway? It is going move. Are you going to complain when directv decides it should move as we have?

And what is the big deal anyway? If you have people that use searches (to find shows they don't even know are on somehow) and you have those who look in parts of the guide, why not adjust for the latter. The former will find the shows anyway.

Edited by tonyd79, 25 August 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#93 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

You have your own habits and project them onto everyone else.  I'm not the one doing that, you are.  I couldn't care less where the channel is.

Why are you defending the 619 placement anyway? It is going move. Are you going to complain when directv decides it should move as we have?  I'm not defending it, just pointing out how silly it is to care what the number is.  I'm not going to complain, again I couldn't care less where the channel is.

And what is the big deal anyway?  I'm not the one making it a big deal, you are.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#94 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

You have your own habits and project them onto everyone else.  I'm not the one doing that, you are.  I couldn't care less where the channel is.
Why are you defending the 619 placement anyway? It is going move. Are you going to complain when directv decides it should move as we have?  I'm not defending it, just pointing out how silly it is to care what the number is.  I'm not going to complain, again I couldn't care less where the channel is.
And what is the big deal anyway?  I'm not the one making it a big deal, you are.

Whatever. If you don't care, stop posting about it. Every time someone says it should move, you jump in. It is going to move at some time. That's all I'm saying. It will and should move. I will find shows on it wherever it is. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm thinking of others who aren't savvy about programming or who are more casual than I. That is not projecting. That is observing and helping.

I'm done with you on this.

#95 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

It is going to move at some time.

Same data source as your "vast majority" info?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#96 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

Channel position is beyond important! Why do you think CNN's contract says it's on 202. CNN is around position 200 on several other providers, too. Why do you think ESPNU and ESPNews are in between ESPN"1" and ESPN2? Why do you think CBS and NBC Sports Networks are now in the 200s? Why do you think IONwest moved next to IONeast? 

You want to be in the mix. FXX is not going to tolerate being at 619 for very long, just like they won't tolerate FS2 being at 618, either. I know others have disagreed, but ESPN classic and ESPN Deportes belong at 210 and 211. Stop with the "Spanish channels don't need to be there" - you won't see it unless you have a 5LNB dish. Fox Deportes is in the middle of the remaining Fox channels in the 600s. It and the other Fox channels need to be in the 220s. Both beIN Sport channels need to be together, too, in a grouping of soccer channels. 

Everyone who says "I will watch FXX at 619" won't. Sure, your recordings will record and you'll watch those, but you'll never flip by it and see something to watch. There's too much clutter in between. Tony is right and everyone here knows it, this site just likes to argue about nothing.

Edited by ejbvt, 25 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#97 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Same data source as your "vast majority" info?

Pure common sense. And they've been moving stuff all over the place. But maybe you haven't noticed since it doesn't matter to you.

#98 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Channel position is beyond important! Why do you think CNN's contract says it's on 202. CNN is around position 200 on several other providers, too. Why do you think ESPNU and ESPNews are in between ESPN"1" and ESPN2? Why do you think CBS and NBC Sports Networks are now in the 200s? Why do you think IONwest moved next to IONeast?

You want to be in the mix. FXX is not going to tolerate being at 619 for very long, just like they won't tolerate FS2 being at 618, either. I know others have disagreed, but ESPN classic and ESPN Deportes belong at 210 and 211. Stop with the "Spanish channels don't need to be there" - you won't see it unless you have a 5LNB dish. Fox Deportes is in the middle of the remaining Fox channels in the 600s. It and the other Fox channels need to be in the 220s. Both beIN Sport channels need to be together, too, in a grouping of soccer channels.

Everyone who says "I will watch FXX at 619" won't. Sure, your recordings will record and you'll watch those, but you'll never flip by it and see something to watch. There's too much clutter in between. Tony is right and everyone here knows it, this site just likes to argue about nothing.

No Spanish channels belong in with the Spanish channels that are already there in a good position among them. That is what makes sense and will drive those channels. You need to think of the Spanish channels as a whole system by itself. A low 400 channel location would be the same as the current espn in the 200s for the English versions.

Espn classic traded spots with espnu ages ago because its fine in the sports pack. It belongs closer to the history channel than it does 210.

Tolerate is a funny word to use because unless their contract for fxx and fs2 states a specific location, they will be where ever DIRECTV wants them. With that said, DIRECTV likely wont leave fxx in the 600s because it likes to try and group channels in logical order for its customers, but who knows, there may be a few months before it changes as they may make several moves, only time will tell. Fs2 is really a toss up I think at this point as if it will move to the 200s.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#99 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

So Directv better move HBO Latino, Cinemax Latino, my local Univision, Estrella, and Unimas to the 400s, too.  :nono2:

Sports should be together.

Movies should be together.

News should be together.

That's not hard to comprehend. If you don't have the 119, you won't see it anyway. 

The Spanish channels are a mess, more disorganized than the English. If people must segregate based on language, at least organize them. The order makes no sense.

Edited by ejbvt, 26 August 2013 - 02:06 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#100 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

So Directv better move HBO Latino, Cinemax Latino, my local Univision, Estrella, and Unimas to the 400s, too.  :nono2:

Sports should be together.

Movies should be together.

News should be together.

That's not hard to comprehend. If you don't have the 119, you won't see it anyway. 

No, you still don't follow the logic..  Look at how the systems English channels are aligned.  Locals are all in the 69 or less..  general is in the 200 to 300 premiums are int he 500s and local sports are after that...

Your local univision etc should be in the locals where it belongs, but aren't they also in the 400's?  I haven't looked in a while.

As for the premiums, actually, yeah I do think they should carve out a 10 channel area in the 400s and put them there too so my darn autorecord stops recording spanish versions as well as english versions of movies off hbo.  But more importantly, those who subscibe to just spanish stuff will have all their spanish channels in one area!  Easier to surf the guide and find stuff!

There is nothing wrong with putting all the spanish language other than locals together in the same groupings as they do the English channels.

I actually think what they should really do is....  Move all Spanish channels to the 3000 channel range AND any channel that has a Spanish sap track should also be located in the 3000k channel range and defaulted to the Spanish track instead of the English one.  (yes, even locals) This would not take ANY more bandwidth, itd all be remapps and default tracks.Heck, if possible they could even have all their extra innings and so on with spanish tracks in the 3700 range, etc...  They could also do say a 4000k range for other languages as well.  That would be truly catering to the foreign language subscribers.

I am already annoyed with hbo Latin showing up and getting recorded, I DO NOT want my sports records to start picking up Spanish games as well as English ones, or worse, picking up only the spanish one sometime and not getting an English one.  I dont speak spanish.   ;)  So I shouldnt have to figure out a work around for it, just as I dont believe spanish speakers who don't want english version shouldn't have to figure out a workaround to catch the spanish versions, or even wade through the english channels to find the spanish channels.

Oh, and of course I do have 119,m and plenty of people out there have 119 that dont have spanish packages.  In some places entire markets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...