Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it normal to get a sunday install?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have sen the truth of that here in Colorado. In recent history we have had 2 blue laws - motor vehicle dealers and liquor stores. The people wanted liquor stores to be able to open on Sunday so the law was repealed over the objections of liquor store owners. They argued (correctly) that sales increases will be miniscule while overhead increased noticeably.

The opposite was the case with liquor stores in NY.  There weren't any objections from liquor store owners. 

When the no liquor sales on Sunday was struck down because the logic for it was tied to Christian religions (Jewish owned Liquor stores would prefer to be closed on Saturday and open on Sunday), the portion of the law stating that a liquor store can only be open 6 days a week still remained.  Virtually every liquor store was open on Sunday and closed on a weekday (mostly Tuesday's or Wednesday's).

At the same time, the liquor store owners continued to fight for the ability to stay open 7 days a week, just like every other store.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

But that is the "issue"  If they leave it up to them, well we know the results....

I wish we had this "Law" where I live.  no more 3 to 5 installs getting home by 9 PM on a Sunday night.    :sleeping:

But, wouldn't it suck if absolutely nothing was open on your day off?  Your only option would be to say home or go to a friend's house.  You couldn't go see a movie, go to a restaurant, run any errands that you didn't have time for on your work days, etc...

#23 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

When I was working six 12-hour days a week some years ago the only chance I had to get a haircut was to go to a barber that was open on Sunday.

I do like my Sundays off and I remember when no department stores were open on Sundays and no liquor was served or sold on Sundays in Pennsylvania, actually starting at 12 midnight.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

But, wouldn't it suck if absolutely nothing was open on your day off?  Your only option would be to say home or go to a friend's house.  You couldn't go see a movie, go to a restaurant, run any errands that you didn't have time for on your work days, etc...

Nope, it would not bother me.  Same way I got use to no mail on Sundays.....  we can all take a rest

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

When I was a kid, almost everything was closed on Sunday except some restaurants and the movies (after 2pm). Even most of the businesses that we allowed to open, like drug stores and super markets chose to stay closed or at least only open until noon. In the whole city of 90,000, only one gas station stayed open. It didn't seem like much of an inconenience back then. We'd do things with our families or stay home and watch one of the three stations we could get on our black & white TV.

#26 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Years ago I attended church and a parishioner asked where I was the last 2 weeks..I said I had to work...She gave me this look and said no one should work on Sunday..To which I reminded her that some was at the Electric company, the Gas Station, the resturant, and even the preacher were all workin on Sunday..Not to mention Police, Fire, Medical...
But it has gotten out of hand... Corporate America has chased the mighty dollar, and forgotten Family... I worked for a Company which once was closed on Easter Sunday, but the competitor up'd the anti and opened one year..From then on that Holiday was Gone.... That same company which was a retailer stayed open Chritmas Eve till 6 or 7 pm... I had a customer comment..Thats not right, you should be home with your family..I smiled and agreed, looked at my watch and noticed it was 4:30 Christmas Eve....
We have become a ME society, and have forgotten that to satisfy our needs, others have to sacrifice theirs....

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Years ago I attended church and a parishioner asked where I was the last 2 weeks..I said I had to work...She gave me this look and said no one should work on Sunday..To which I reminded her that some was at the Electric company, the Gas Station, the resturant, and even the preacher were all workin on Sunday..Not to mention Police, Fire, Medical...
But it has gotten out of hand... Corporate America has chased the mighty dollar, and forgotten Family... I worked for a Company which once was closed on Easter Sunday, but the competitor up'd the anti and opened one year..From then on that Holiday was Gone.... That same company which was a retailer stayed open Chritmas Eve till 6 or 7 pm... I had a customer comment..Thats not right, you should be home with your family..I smiled and agreed, looked at my watch and noticed it was 4:30 Christmas Eve....
We have become a ME society, and have forgotten that to satisfy our needs, others have to sacrifice theirs....

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

Amen!

4th of July and I started working at 6:30 AM and just got back home, around 8PM, only to satisfy DirecTV's mighty dollar...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall