Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM conversion problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

My DVRs, when at home are on a SWM setup. My motorhome (Winegard SK-3005) was on a multiswitch setup. I recently added a SWM-8, PI-29 power inserter and a MSPLIT4R01 splitter, all connected as DTV describes. I set up (thru the TV) the satellite as Slim-5 and SWM. That is where the problem lies; I get a message that the SWM is not detected. I've checked all connections and gone through the set up many times with the same problem. Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,000 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

how are you connecting the PI29 to system. it seems like the SWM8 is not getting power
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

The four outputs of the satellite dish go to the four inputs of the SWM8. The output of the SWM8 goes to the input of the power inserter and the output of the power inserter goes to the splitter.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,000 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

The four outputs of the satellite dish go to the four inputs of the SWM8. The output of the SWM8 goes to the input of the power inserter and the output of the power inserter goes to the splitter.

Which output of the SWM 8 goes to the power supply? you would want to connect SWM1/PWR (on the SWM8) to the power to SWM on the 29 PI
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,940 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Also make sure you didn't get the two connections on the power inserter reversed. Another thing to try is hook the PI directly to SWM output 1 and run a coax from output 2 to your splitter.

#6 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

I will have to get up on the roof of the moho and check all the connections. I thought I was being super diligent with the cables but I may have gotten something wrong. Thanks for the help.

#7 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I just got up on the roof. I AM AN IDIOT!!!! I bought an 8 way splitter, not a SWM8. That is the whole problem. But while I have your attention, while searching for the SWM8, I found a place that sells that plus the SL3 LNB. Can I replace the 5 LNB on my Winegard with the SL3? The reasoning is that I wouldn't have to go into setup and change from 5LNB to 3 LNB when I move the DVRs from home to RV and back again.

thanks

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,940 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Check with Winegard and make sure that won't effect how their system works. If the dish is auto-seeking/aligning, it might matter (and it might not). Otherwise, if it doesn't effect how the Winegard aspect works, it should be fine to make the swap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...