Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intermittent site hang lockup?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just and update...

Ok, now running the TapaTalk fix (Which is what I think the overall issue was.) from 11:13 AM ET this morning.  I have not seen anyone say things were still bad...so I think that was it.

However...What we did do was...

Upgraded MySQL to ver 5.5

Also have XCache running again. (Had stopped it just in case)  XCache speeds up php code by caching the php scripts in a compiled format vs needing to compile it with each call.  The entire site runs off PHP and MySQL

Also now running the Sphinx search engine.  This is a very fast search solution vs MySQL standard search.  Each morning at 4:00AM CT it will slow the site down as it reindexes for just a few mins.  (Side note...new posts will be added to the search indexes within 10 mins of posting vs real time.)

So....Now let's see how this all goes. 

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

would be curious to see what browsers in use if anyone has issue too.

some people, we won't mention them by name so as to not smoke them out, still use IE8.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#63 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I haven't seen any problems so far today (knock on wood) and I have been on a few times, and actually logged in and wandering a couple of times.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#64 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Do not know if it has anything to do with this, but iPhone app does not load
  • RAD likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#65 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have been hsving this happen on a VBB site im on... Every now and then i cant get to any of his sites UNLESS I OPEN "WINIPCFG" and click RENEW ALL!! (Started after he updated his server,i have NO IDEA why its doing it.. I sent him a PM about it)

I wonder if that same thing is happening here?

#66 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

some people, we won't mention them by name so as to not smoke them out, still use IE8.

As I posted earlier I've experienced issues using Internet Explorer 10 and Google Chrome.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#67 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Do not know if it has anything to do with this, but iPhone app does not load

I mentioned earlier that' the iPad was hanging but iPhone OK with the DBSTalk app, this AM the iPhone app is also hanging up.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#68 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

:lol:  I'm close to that with IE9, as I finally allowed Windows 7 to install IE10 last night.

I haven't seen any site issues with IE9 but I'm only at the site twice daily, at about the same times.

This isn't related to the thread but I've seen something change from IE9 to 10 this morning.  When I was using IE9 at this site, I could use my "back" browser button (I use the "Backspace" key, does the same) and my "first unread" indicator black dots would be automatically refreshed.  In other words, I would click on a thread's "first unread" black dot, read the unread posts, then use the browser back-page, and my unread black dots would be refreshed.

That's not happening with IE10.  I'm not sure if that's a "cookie" setting in IE10 or something similar related to the IE9-to-10 overnight upgrade that was downloaded.

It's a non-issue for the most part, since I have one of my keys mapped as "ctrl-w" or F5, to refresh with one key.

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#69 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

I mentioned earlier that' the iPad was hanging but iPhone OK with the DBSTalk app, this AM the iPhone app is also hanging up.

Hi...I want to turn off the Sphinx search engine and see if that helps this issue.  But I want to be sure you are on-line as I do not want to keep it off for hours. ;)  Let me know if you are around.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#70 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi...I want to turn off the Sphinx search engine and see if that helps this issue.  But I want to be sure you are on-line as I do not want to keep it off for hours. ;)  Let me know if you are around.

How about we schedule it for 13:00 CDT?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#71 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Well, I just had a report...

"Only have my iPhone with me right now, but the app works fine for me. I'm sending you this reply via the app. Left my iPad at home today. Might be able to borrow one here at work if you need me to."

So not sure if their is an "issue" per say.   Hummm...Running the current version?

Oh...this should really be in it's own thread as this thread is really about the slowdowns.   Sorry.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#72 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

did you get any chance to see how stuff acted during the 4am sphinx update?

curious if you could see what impact there was.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#73 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

I was not up at 4AM...But their was a slow query at that time that was in the log for 117 seconds.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#74 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

WTF ?

not up at 4?

LOL

not awful bad....but not great. been wondering if doing it every 12 hrs would actually work better. was wondering if 2 brief slows would be better then the 1 long one. I just don't know if it would be faster or not.

reminds me I need to enable slow logs on mine for sql and php-fpm too, keep forgetting.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

spam firewall