Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

why does DTV keep calling me?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pakcyclist

pakcyclist

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

For about the past week, DTV has been calling -- shows up on caller ID -- but doesn't leave a message.  Any idea why?  Is this just to get me to buy more programming, or could it be for something more important?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

For about the past week, DTV has been calling -- shows up on caller ID -- but doesn't leave a message. Any idea why? Is this just to get me to buy more programming, or could it be for something more important?

It could be DirecTV, a 3rd party, a scammer, you name it. only way to find out is by picking up the phone
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Do you have a pending service call/installation?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

If you've ever had Premier, and then cut back some on the programming, it seems (at least at my house) to generate an out bound telemarketing call about twice a year trying to woo me back.

#5 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

For about the past week, DTV has been calling -- shows up on caller ID -- but doesn't leave a message. Any idea why? Is this just to get me to buy more programming, or could it be for something more important?

Is your acct up to date ? I know I have been behind sometimes, and they start calling.. Just a bit of info...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Or any really old equipment? I'm not sure of the status of the old guide that they are getting rid of. But in that case I'd think you'd get a message unless your ring count is too high.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

DirecTV does have a do not call policy.  Just type in "Do Not Call Policy" in the search engine at their website.  Also call them at their regular customer number 1-800-531-5000 and ask why they are calling you and tell them to put your number on their "Do Not Call List."

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

1.) It may not be DIRECTV in spite of what caller ID may say.

2.) I'd first find out what it's about. It may not be a marketing call at all. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Does your caller ID show an actual phone number? If so type the number into Google and you'll see the actual owner of the number. If it doesn't but it says anything other than Directv then it's a scam. I've traced "Police Benevolent Society" to some clown in Charlotte who's been busted many times for charity scams like that.

#10 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

One time I got a call from D* and It was to offer me the Extra HD pack free for three months.  Of course you should also be able to get it free online. Speaking of the HD pack, my three months are up a the end of this month, so I need to cancel for a few days. We also got a call a few days ago concerning a survey.  We told them to call back at a later time. Can't say for sure that it was really D*.  May have been some scammer fishing for personal info.

Edited by n3vino, 29 June 2013 - 07:00 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#11 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

I haven't had many phone calls but about twice a month I'll get a letter from them wanting me to sign up and get Directv. Humm I've been a customer for 8 or so years. O well I just store them in the file 13 trash can :)

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I haven't had many phone calls but about twice a month I'll get a letter from them wanting me to sign up and get Directv. Humm I've been a customer for 8 or so years. O well I just store them in the file 13 trash can :)

pretty sure that is a 3rd party reseller
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Kromagg73

Kromagg73

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

If it is from Directv, you can call them at 1-800-531-5000 and request to not receive calls from Directv. That might help, only reason i would think they were calling is if you were past due like most other companies. However, there is an option that the tech can put no calls,  so try that and see if that helps.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

If it is from Directv, you can call them at 1-800-531-5000 and request to not receive calls from Directv. That might help, only reason i would think they were calling is if you were past due like most other companies. However, there is an option that the tech can put no calls,  so try that and see if that helps.

The only "phone call" I received form DirecTV when I was past due, was a 721 extension on my TV screen...... !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

OP/TS

Did anyone help anything at all? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

You should take them up on their offer.  Get a new Genie, great programming discounts, etc. plus the installer will love you when he discovers the dish and cabling is already installed!   :cool:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...