Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Interesting news on Wireless Genie mini client

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

The weaknees blog has some interesting news about the Wireless Genie mini client.  It looks like a base station needs to be wired into your SWM system to connect the wireless C41.  This makes sense since the current double hop when using the wifi on an HR44 and Wireless connection kit+C41 can be a little problematic to get enough bandwidth sometimes.

http://www.wkblog.co...1w-information/

As soon as the wireless C41 comes out I will probably be trading in my wireless connection kit + C41 setup.

Any beta testers want to comment on this? ;-)

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,761 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

well, I guess someone is spilling the beans,....
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   tombo114

tombo114

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

The weaknees blog has some interesting news about the Wireless Genie mini client.  It looks like a base station needs to be wired into your SWM system to connect the wireless C41.  This makes sense since the current double hop when using the wifi on an HR44 and Wireless connection kit+C41 can be a little problematic to get enough bandwidth sometimes.

http://www.wkblog.co...1w-information/

As soon as the wireless C41 comes out I will probably be trading in my wireless connection kit + C41 setup.

Any beta testers want to comment on this? ;-)

more garbage, wireless sucks,  what they NEED to do for the WHOLE HOME GENIE is elimanate the client boxes,  put all the guts into the GENIE and run each tv's wires from the main box, wireless is too flaky

Edited by tombo114, 28 June 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

DirecTV already has a great system for wiring Genies and TVs. Wireless is for those who cannot or will not run wire. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

Dbstalk... The only tech site on the web where a large number of users are anti-wireless. No wonder it took directv until 2013 to finally put wifi in one of its boxes.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#6 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

FWIW, and with a bag 'o salt...

installer at my house yesterday stated some "higher ups" have the wireless units at their homes testing them. One had the Genie (broadcast unit?) in the basement, and the wireless client in 3rd floor opposite side of house, and streaming was excellent.

oh yeah, October.

/em takes his empty salt truck home.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

more garbage, wireless sucks, what they NEED to do for the WHOLE HOME GENIE is elimanate the client boxes, put all the guts into the GENIE and run each tv's wires from the main box, wireless is too flaky

You mean like putting an RVU client in the TV so only a coax to the TV and a DECA is needed, like Samsumg and Somy do today?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Dbstalk... The only tech site on the web where a large number of users are anti-wireless.

I guess we're just smarter :grin:

In reality, wireless can work fine in many environments. But wired will ALWAYS work reliably whereas wireless can sometimes not work reliably. Wired is much easier to maintain and troubleshoot. Wireless is much easier to install. So there is no "perfect" answer. I use all wired connections in my LAN, except for my tablet (which does not offer that option).

• Laxguy likes this

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I agree that wireless is not the best of options, but it's good to have the option available when it would be I possible to pull a coax to a location.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

You mean like putting an RVU client in the TV so only a coax to the TV and a DECA is needed, like Samsumg and Somy do today?

No like running a central location from your HR34 or 44 that ANY tv can use , Not just the most expensive TVs from Sony and Samsung!

#11 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Dbstalk... The only tech site on the web where a large number of users are anti-wireless. No wonder it took directv until 2013 to finally put wifi in one of its boxes.

No it is totally useless in my house, completely unable to pull a wireless signal on the 3rd floor due to structural build out, brick and steel I-Beam construction. Besides why limit to the mediocre speed and lack of reliability of wireless

#12 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Of course!  What do you expect from a site that where that large number of users have Satellite HD and 3D content?  We will always prefer the best possible and most reliable connection.

#13 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

For some reason I have no issues streaming HD to my Roku... But if you do the same with television/satellite it is the worst idea ever thought of... This is a silly place.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

No like running a central location from your HR34 or 44 that ANY tv can use , Not just the most expensive TVs from Sony and Samsung!

But in fairness, who's real fault is that?

DIRECTV, or the manufacturers like Sony and Samsung who only choose to incorporate RVU capability in their most expensive TV models?  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Of course!  What do you expect from a site that where that large number of users have Satellite HD and 3D content?  We will always prefer the best possible and most reliable connection.

I personally am not necessarily doubting the viability of WiFi for steaming the satellite HD in many home environments, but am curious as to how well WiFi can handle the additional complexity of the simultaneous interactive UI for RVU that streaming devices like the Roku don't have to deal with.

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

But in fairness, who's real fault is that?

DIRECTV, or the manufacturers like Sony and Samsung who only choose to incorporate RVU capability in their most expensive TV models?  

My guess Directvs.  Why would it be samsungs or sonys?  My Guess Directv came up to Samsung and Sony to produce this feature in their sets. 

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

My guess Directvs.  Why would it be samsungs or sonys?  My Guess Directv came up to Samsung and Sony to produce this feature in their sets. 

Possibly true, but which sets? Any proof DIRECTV specified its only to be incorporated on their most expensive models?

Aren't the royalty payments to DIRECTV likely the same regardless of the model of the set which includes the RVU technology? 

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Possibly true, but which sets? Any proof DIRECTV specified its only to be incorporated on their most expensive models?

Aren't the royalty payments to DIRECTV likely the same regardless of the model of the set which includes the RVU technology? 

Samsung and Sony may have no choice but to put them in the higher sets. You don't know what it cost for RVU.  What if its $200 per set.  That could make or break entry level tv sales.  When your spending $2,000 on a tv , whats another $200.

RVU isn't in a $300 tv cause their would be no way they could make a profit. 

My point instead of making Samsung or Sony put RVU in for directv, Maybe Directv can make a Media box, that requires only a coax to the TV. 

Like HR Media, to say a Swm and right to the TV. Remotes can  be used in RF.  HD goes through Coax OTA so that shouldn't be an issue.

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,500 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I've used wireless for MRV very early in its life and it worked well.  I've used a wireless CCK to connect  a genie client very successfully.

If it doesn't work for you, I don't think that's Directv's fault.  They're just offering options to hopefully accommodate everyone.  Your option might be wired.

Just got a Sony TV with RVU.  Don't need it because I have 2 HRs there.  But it's another option.

Everybody thinks it's all about 'me' - themselves.  There's a big population out there.

Oh and the Sony TV remote has a NETFLIX button.  Guess what they paid for that!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Oh and the Sony TV remote has a NETFLIX button.  Guess what they paid for that!

Who cares , Everything has a Netflix button

Protected By... spam firewall...And...