Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with vacation home installation

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have a vacation home where I want to bring back and forth my HR24 receiver.  I think the extra dish I have is a SWM with the 3 style LNB?  See pictures below.  

Do I need to buy a single LNB now that I only need one cable in or can I use the existing dish as is?  The installer at my primary home said I could use the existing dish but just one cable.  If that's the case which do I choose?  Or, do I need to buy:

DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_2

I am also wondering which power inserter I need and if this dish will even work.  I need a run in excess of 100 feet so do I need the unit with 29 volts vs. 21?

http://www.amazon.co... power inserter

Thank you from a newbie!!

Attached Thumbnails

• dish1.jpg
  • dish2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

The LNB assembly shown in your photo is a 5LNB non-SWM.  If you have SWM at home, you will have hassles going back and forth between SWM and non-SWM when you move the receiver. You want both LNB's to be the same. Also, that particular LNB assembly does not use a power inserter.

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300073

is the 3 LNB SWM unit.

http://www.solidsign...TV Dishes&sku=

is the 5 LNB SWM unit

In either case, you will also need the power supply. What you linked will work.

If your home dish/LNB is non-SWM, then forget these and get the applicable 3 or 5 LNB non-SWM assembly. No power supply needed.

With SWM, you only need one coax.  With non-SWM, you need one coax for each tuner. A DVR has 2 tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Am I best just leaving that receiver there since its a non swm? If I do that I shouldn't have troubles correct? Does the hr24 provide power to the dish? I thought I read that it might and I wouldn't need an inverter? Thanks so much for the help!!

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Yes, leaving the receiver there would keep it easier. And the receiver powers a non-SWM dish directly.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

But two separate rg6 runs needed though?

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yes, if you want to use both DVR tuners.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

What if I were to switch out the 5lnb for a 3lnb? Would this eliminate the need for the extra cable? Does it still need to be solid copper core or is quad shielded ok even if I'm doing over 100 feet? I assume I then need a power inverter but not a bbc connector? I have a brand new install at my primary house and there are three booms even though just one cable goes into the house. What's up with that?

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Whether you need one or two coax depends on whether you have SWM (1 coax) or non-SWM (2 coax) for a DVR, not on whether it is 3 or 5 LNB. They are two entirely different technologies.  You can read more in the Dish FAQ: http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

For a run over 100 feet, solid copper core is highly recommended.  The reason for solid copper core versus copper clad steel is related to the DC power handling capability of the coax. Solid copper core has much less voltage drop over a given distance than does copper clad steel.  Quad shield is normally not needed and won't make a difference in your system. It's okay, but not needed.

An SWM LNB requires the separate power inserter. A non-SWM dish is powered directly by the receiver. Again, two entirely different technologies. Do not use a separate power inserter with a non-SWM dish.

The bbc is required in non-SWM installations.

By "three booms", I think you are referring to the number of plastic housings on the LNB assembly.  The larger of the three housings actually has 3 LNB's inside of it. The other two have one LNB each. Each LNB is designed to receive signals from a different satellite.  The 3 LNB receives 99-101-103.  The five LNB also gets 110 and 119 in addition to 99-101-103.

#9 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

So I read the PDF and I think I somewhat get it. So I have a 5lnb non swm slimline with four inputs. Am I best to buy a 3lnb swm and use the same dish? At that point I run one copper core rg6 and use a power inverter for my single hr24?

#10 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Btw, all the help is super appreciated!!

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Btw, all the help is super appreciated!!

Unless there is something on 119 you need (110 is not used in the CONUS) which isn't much these days beyond Spanish programming and SD spotbeam locals for some markets, you can safely switch to a SL-3. However changing to the SWiM type SL-3, or an "SL-3S" will work fine, but is somewhat wasteful for only one HD DVR receiver (unless its a Genie), since only 2 out the possible 8 tuners it can support will be used.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#12 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

We don't have any special needs or extra service so you would recommend sticking with what I have, running two copper core RG6 and buying two BBC connectors?  We specifically got the non Genie version for the one we would bring away. And it is just the one HR24 DVR.  

#13 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

You can get the B-Band Converters from DirecTV for free.  Call them. 

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

We don't have any special needs or extra service so you would recommend sticking with what I have, running two copper core RG6 and buying two BBC connectors?

That would be your best option.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Now to find the cable locally or online quickly. Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I will have more questions!

#16 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

So here's what I have so far as a test that I can't get to work. Slimline 5 lnb connected cable to first port on switch, connected to bbc, connected to first satellite in on dvr. Dvr is connected to tv via hdmi. Get errors including the 775 error and after trying to configure using slimline, multiswitch, single tuner settings on the directv menu I get: a satellite signal could not be detected. This dvr was originally set up for a swm install although never connected to a tv or used but its only about a month old. I've flicked the red button to reboot many times but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

#17 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Clarification: slimline 5 setting on dtv menu.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

So here's what I have so far as a test that I can't get to work. Slimline 5 lnb connected cable to first port on switch, connected to bbc, connected to first satellite in on dvr. Dvr is connected to tv via hdmi. Get errors including the 775 error and after trying to configure using slimline, multiswitch, single tuner settings on the directv menu I get: a satellite signal could not be detected. This dvr was originally set up for a swm install although never connected to a tv or used but its only about a month old. I've flicked the red button to reboot many times but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

if you have a "regular" 4 port LNB, you dont need a  switch.  Connect cable from LNB to the DVR, repeat satellite set up process.  Make sure the dish is aligned or the new settings wont "stick"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   jmpellet

jmpellet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Just wanted to close this thread with a big thank everyone for all the help you all gave me a few weeks back.  I learned more than I ever thought about dish alignment, signals and what not and everyone was s helpful.  For now I have the burial CCS cable as I couldn't get the SCC quickly.  If I need to re-run at some point I know what I need to do to make that happen.  Thanks ahain!!

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

awesome. Glad we could help
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall