Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

System Expansion and Genie Limitations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I need to add 4 TVs to my existing system of 4 HR24s connected to a Slimline 5 dish by a single cable feeding a SWM8 splitter.  

Ideally, I'd like to have 1 HR44 powering all 7 other TVs - however, I understand that the HR44 is limited to supporting 3 other TVs at the same time and 5 other TVs total.  Could you please confirm that these limitations are correct?  

If so, it is a shame that the Genie is limited in this way because I would like to be managing 1 single recording list rather than 8 seperate ones - and I like the power savings of swapping a DVR with a lower power RVU client.  It is too bad they won't allow two Genies on an account because that could be one solution - that way I'd be dealing with 2 recordings lists rather than 8.  I suppose I could use the Genie and RVUs for just the additional 4 TVs but it really would be nice to have 1 Genie running everything.

Either way, with my current setup, I'm at the maximium tuner limit so I think I'll need to drop 3 more coax cables from the dish (I can do this at the same time I install a dish heater this summer) and feed those into a new SWM16 to support the additional TVs.  Does this plan make sense or can you think of a better way to do this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Since you already have the HR24s, I'd keep those and add one Genie and three mini clients. With MRV you can see and watch all recorded shows but you can only set up recordings at the local DVR or via a DirecTV app. Having multiple DVRs IMHO is better than only one DVR in case of a failure.

You're also going to have to swap out your LNB when you go over eight tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

It is three at a time, and a client watching live or in the buffer takes a tuner from the genie.

You could use regular receivers. Biggest loss, especially if you got H25s is pausing/rewinding live.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

I agree with trh, keep the HR24's and add the Genie and 3 clients. You can schedule recordings from any TV - the HR24's will record locally and the cleints will record on the Genie, but all recordings will be viewable at all locations on a single integrated play list. This also lets you keep existing recordings on your HR24's, and results in the ability to pause/rewind live viewing at all locations.

#5 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I agree with trh, keep the HR24's and add the Genie and 3 clients. You can schedule recordings from any TV - the HR24's will record locally and the cleints will record on the Genie, but all recordings will be viewable at all locations on a single integrated play list. This also lets you keep existing recordings on your HR24's, and results in the ability to pause/rewind live viewing at all locations.

Since you already have the HR24s, I'd keep those and add one Genie and three mini clients. With MRV you can see and watch all recorded shows but you can only set up recordings at the local DVR or via a DirecTV app. Having multiple DVRs IMHO is better than only one DVR in case of a failure.

You're also going to have to swap out your LNB when you go over eight tuners.

I 2nd (3rd?) these recommendations. Correct on the SWiM16 to replace the SWiM8 with additional cabling required. The Genie/HR34/HR44 can add up to 8 clients (Genie Minis), but concurrent connections limited to 3 (good news is side-by-side PIP at the Genie/HR34/HR44 tv). Keep in mind the HR44 is currently available in limited areas, and since the Genie model name is used when placing an order, the model # is not guaranteed. You may get a HR34 instead. Just FYI.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

really would be nice to have 1 Genie running everything.

?

Why put all of your eggs in one basket, so to speak. If this was the case, if the Genie breaks (it will) you will be without TV until it gets fix or replaced
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Lets face it, all dvrs will eventually break.  Having more than 2TB of recordings in one place is about my limit for what I'm willing to lose at one time.  Its a fine balance you have to decide on.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Lets face it, all dvrs will eventually break.

Exactly. about 3000 DVRs breaks everyday, one day, yours (and mine) will be one of them
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...