Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
2039 replies to this topic

#251 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Not very many!

Whatever. Nice try to cover your statement.

And it was wide ranging. BTN has a decent amount of football and lots of basketball.

Edited by tonyd79, 28 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#252 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,387 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

OH darn , what will I ever do without another high priced network channel that I'll never watch but still have to pay for.

The irony of complaining about high priced channels with this channel as your avatar ...
photo-thumb-433995.jpg?_r=1373497298

There is a reason why YES is not on DISH ... they offered a deal that DISH could refuse. There is a reason why PAC-12 is not on DirecTV ... their offer is one DirecTV can refuse. Perhaps not carrying a particular RSN will hurt a provider in a specific area of the country but both providers are looking at the big picture. And since they are the one with billions invested in the companies and they are the ones actually making the decisions I'll defer to their wisdom.

Perhaps the carriage / non-carriage decision would not match the decisions I would make. But we are only getting hints of the deals that are being offered by PAC-12. It is a private negotiation.

• sigma1914 and boukengreen like this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#253 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

The irony of complaining about high priced channels with this channel as your avatar ...
photo-thumb-433995.jpg?_r=1373497298

There is a reason why YES is not on DISH ... they offered a deal that DISH could refuse. There is a reason why PAC-12 is not on DirecTV ... their offer is one DirecTV can refuse. Perhaps not carrying a particular RSN will hurt a provider in a specific area of the country but both providers are looking at the big picture. And since they are the one with billions invested in the companies and they are the ones actually making the decisions I'll defer to their wisdom.

Perhaps the carriage / non-carriage decision would not match the decisions I would make. But we are only getting hints of the deals that are being offered by PAC-12. It is a private negotiation.

I'm sorry isn't this a Directv thread?
, And for your information YES has been on Directv since YES has been a channel.
Dish gave up on NY sports fans all together is there a reason for that?

There is also a reason Dish Need a merger and Has far less customers too. Maybe you should look into that first!
Like it or not Yankees have more fans then any other team period.!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#254 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

It's now time for those Pac 12 loyalists to walk.   No deal w/Directv this season.

So time will tell how many actually drop.

• FenixTX likes this

#255 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Time always does! 

At the same time, no one on this board, with a couple of possible exceptions, will ever know the number who drop due to the Pac12 impasse. I bet it's a pretty small number in the relative scheme of things. 

Take care, and good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#256 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

I would imagine those who were going to drop already have.

#257 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,387 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

I'm sorry isn't this a Directv thread ...

It is in the DirecTV Programming forum ... and the discussion is clearly about DirecTV carrying or not carrying the channel.

Plenty of posts noting other carriers coverage as well ... so please calm down and read the thread. :)

YES wanted carriage in the lowest package ... for DirecTV, Choice then fit that bill. The same package where other RSNs were placed. DirecTV paid their customer's money and everyone was happy (until DirecTV added the additional fees for multi-RSN markets that you have noted). DISH has their RSNs in the second tier ... YES would not accept that placement. Somehow both companies survive (just like Pac-12 vs DirecTV).

Is YES happy that DirecTV has introduced a lower than Choice package that does not include RSNs? Or is YES an exception to the "RSN at Choice and above" channel placement? Some companies are not happy accepting the same deal that similar companies have accepted. That could apply to DirecTV not accepting Pac-12's deal or Pac-12 accepting DirecTV's placement.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#258 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

It's now time for those Pac 12 loyalists to walk. No deal w/Directv this season.

I'm a big fan of pac12 football and basketball and ill ether figure out another way to get the games or miss some. I'm not leaving DIRECTV for this channel.
  • pdxBeav likes this

#259 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

It is in the DirecTV Programming forum ... and the discussion is clearly about DirecTV carrying or not carrying the channel.

Plenty of posts noting other carriers coverage as well ... so please calm down and read the thread. :)

Exactly so we don't need to hear anything about Dish Network.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#260 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

I would imagine those who were going to drop already have.

I know many folks who keep hoping Directv comes on board.   You will see some exodus now.   It's a month out before games start.  

I doubt for the moment it is enough to push Directv into a different direction, but one can only hope.

#261 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

Some people don't want to go to or take their families to a bar to watch a football game. And most bars have D* already, so they're SOL. Although I have been seeing a few add cable as a supplement to get The Pac 12 Network. And what exactly is "whatever?"

My solution until Directv gets the Pac 12 network cut all extras like movie channels on Directv. Purchase portable tripod mounted Dish 1000.2, sub to Dish 120+ and add multi-sport package to include Redzone. Not necessary but I want Redzone also.

Cost portable Dish 1000.2 and 211K HD receiver (Amazon)(Solid Signal) receiver, all for 220 dollars. No subscription necessary pay by month shut off once football season is over. Total cost ($390) Mid Sept-mid January 510 dollars minus 120 savings by removing Directv programming I rarely watch anyway.  I'll have a portable setup for camping and tailgating as an bonus. 

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Dish Hopper with sling

Wireless Joey

#262 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

It's now time for those Pac 12 loyalists to walk. No deal w/Directv this season.

If you, or anyone else, leaves one provider for another because one doesn't carry a channel then you can't complain about how high your satellite/cable bill is and will become. Not saying that you are complaining. It just amazes me when someone complains about not having a channel but then whines when there bill goes up. Once again, not saying you are doing such. Just some people that do. Switching providers for a channel no matter how much you want it isn't a solution. We need to stand up to all those niche sporting channels so out bills don't go up. The sports programming industry is outrageous right now. And it's going to get worse. The Big Ten's TV contract is up for renewal in a couple of years which will blow this overpriced PAC-12 contract out of the water and that scares me so much. There is no end in sight unless we stand up against this. Sorry. End of rant. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#263 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

I think Larry Scott has done a wonderful job. Despite the few who criticize his job, he has brought a lot of money to the Pac12 through tv contracts and a new network. The Cal AD video was funny and I think just because she dumped Directv, I found it entertaining. Larry Scott has been a major player for the Pac12 and I'm certainly glad to be a part of this exciting conference. 

Wow, that's easy for you to say. My area is not served by cable, so I have D*. Which means i will miss 3-5 USC football games this year. From 2002 to 2011 I did not miss one single USC game, every single one was televised. Now it's hello 1970s.

Wonderful job? Larry Scott has been a disaster.

#264 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

While I respect those that say "...I don't want this channel because I don't want my bill to go up xx $."  That is being a bit short sighted, what if the next channel fight is over a channel you want?  What happens if B1G Network goes away because of the money wanted, or the SEC channel isn't added because of it's cost?  Just because you personally don't watch a channel doesn't mean other fans don't feel a strong passion and energy towards that channel. 

Two of my biggest issues in regards this whole disaster of deal DirecTV/Pac 12 had are-

When the deal was on the table for DirecTV (and we were hearing strongly supported rumors it was almost done) that DirecTV walked away from the deal because they wanted to think about it and see if they could get a better deal later.  Well then DirecTV took the deal to Dish who took that deal.  Now you can say this is wrong/not true etc.  But all the facts laid out last year point to it being true.  If you were selling your house and had 2 people very interested in it and you were close to a deal with one person and they said "well we want to think about it and get back to you."  Then you took that deal to the 2nd buyer laid out the same deal and they said "hey that's a good deal we'll take it today."  What would you do?  Probably take the deal and sign up.  Well DirecTV had the deal but thought they could hold out for a better deal and lost, now they are mad at Pac 12 networks saying they want too much money for the channel because "Dish got a better deal." 

2nd issue is with the RSN surcharge being added to SF Bay Area customers of $2 a month.  When the CSN deals were done a few years ago we never had to have a surcharge.  When you call into DirecTV CSRs they are telling Nor Cal customers that the surcharge is added because of the new Dodgers and Lakers channels.  Well the Lakers and Dodgers are not covered in this market so that doesn't make sense.  If DirecTV had added Pac 12 Network(s) and was adding the $2 charge to help cover the fees on the West Coast I could understand it more.  But a random $2 charge isn't right nor fair to customers who are not receiving anything new.

• noahproblem likes this

#265 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

i don't think everyone that has mutiple rsn gets that charge because i haven't seen it with south and sportsouth

There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#266 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

While I respect those that say "...I don't want this channel because I don't want my bill to go up xx $." That is being a bit short sighted, what if the next channel fight is over a channel you want? What happens if B1G Network goes away because of the money wanted, or the SEC channel isn't added because of it's cost? Just because you personally don't watch a channel doesn't mean other fans don't feel a strong passion and energy towards that channel.

Two of my biggest issues in regards this whole disaster of deal DirecTV/Pac 12 had are-
When the deal was on the table for DirecTV (and we were hearing strongly supported rumors it was almost done) that DirecTV walked away from the deal because they wanted to think about it and see if they could get a better deal later. Well then DirecTV took the deal to Dish who took that deal. Now you can say this is wrong/not true etc. But all the facts laid out last year point to it being true. If you were selling your house and had 2 people very interested in it and you were close to a deal with one person and they said "well we want to think about it and get back to you." Then you took that deal to the 2nd buyer laid out the same deal and they said "hey that's a good deal we'll take it today." What would you do? Probably take the deal and sign up. Well DirecTV had the deal but thought they could hold out for a better deal and lost, now they are mad at Pac 12 networks saying they want too much money for the channel because "Dish got a better deal."

2nd issue is with the RSN surcharge being added to SF Bay Area customers of $2 a month. When the CSN deals were done a few years ago we never had to have a surcharge. When you call into DirecTV CSRs they are telling Nor Cal customers that the surcharge is added because of the new Dodgers and Lakers channels. Well the Lakers and Dodgers are not covered in this market so that doesn't make sense. If DirecTV had added Pac 12 Network(s) and was adding the $2 charge to help cover the fees on the West Coast I could understand it more. But a random $2 charge isn't right nor fair to customers who are not receiving anything new.

I think DIRECTV saying they where close to a deal last year was spin and they never liked any of the offers from pac12 and where never close to accepting the deal dish got because it was higher priced than they ever considered grabbing.

And you know what, till there are several channels that start losing distribution (sports ones at least) they won't slow down their rate increases. This is why I think you are going to see all the new RSNs hit a brick wall with DIRECTV, including the sec, and likely the big ten, just like what's happening in Huston. I don't expect the Dodgers channel either.

As for the charge, its supposed to be most any market with multiple RSNs. For the person who hasn't seen it yet, maybe they haven't had rate increases that warrant it yet. Give it time unfortunately. The Csrs are just confused about why it went up. No bill of any kind has gone up because of the Dodgers channel, it isn't being paid for yet, it hasn't launched yet, so that's all hogwash talk from Csrs saying any raise of any kind has anything to do with the Dodgers channel.

#267 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

I don't want to fight with you guys. I think everyone is entitled to get their RSN's.

But now that DMAs are getting assessed fees on their RSN's I would say the time has come that RSN should be an optional package across the board.

I also believe Directv will remedy this in the very near future.

I would suggest a Base package with and without RSN's  and still the option to add the sports pack if one choses.

Then if someone wants YES in my case, I pay the extra RSN fee for the 6 months and drop it for the other six months out of the year.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#268 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,914 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I also believe Directv will remedy this in the very near future.

How?

#269 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

How?

Package changes.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#270 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Sports is at the point where it alone needs three packages. One for all RSNs in your market. One for all sports only channels. (MLB, nfl, espn, FOX, etc) and one for out of market RSNs. Then still also have the ei, league passes, etc....

#271 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Package changes.

Unfortunatly so much easier said than done because of existing contracts and no one wants tone that first channel that goes and says ok to this.

#272 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sports is at the point where it alone needs three packages. One for all RSNs in your market. One for all sports only channels. (MLB, nfl, espn, FOX, etc) and one for out of market RSNs. Then still also have the ei, league passes, etc....

I agree.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#273 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Unfortunatly so much easier said than done because of existing contracts and no one wants tone that first channel that goes and says ok to this.

Yep, I agree but I strongly feel they will make a change.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#274 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

One major thing you have to realize is that DirecTV uses national pricing for their base packages, despite the fact that in some areas you can have multiple RSNs or in the case of Philly, none.

Cable on the otherhand uses regional pricing and the price varies based on the different channels they offer for a given system, including RSNs, general entertainment channels and others.

#275 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

One major thing you have to realize is that DirecTV uses national pricing for their base packages, despite the fact that in some areas you can have multiple RSNs or in the case of Philly, none.

Cable on the otherhand uses regional pricing and the price varies based on the different channels they offer for a given system, including RSNs, general entertainment channels and others.

Cable also doesn't have the same channel line up across the board either.
In my case Newfoundland area Cable only has 4 Premium HD channels right now, Where as Stroudsburg has all of them and the price difference is only $3.

Cable also doesn't have MSG+, But they have Comcast Philly, but No out of market RSN eithers , unless you subscribe to Seasonal sports packs.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Protected By... spam firewall...And...