Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1886 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

But will D* pay the money to keep it? They are starting to draw the line on sports.

On items that aren't that important to them. Sunday Ticket is.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sunday ticket represents a lot of strategic thinking from the NFL and Directv. The market has changed dramatically since Sunday Ticket came to fruition. The NFL has to weigh an online subscription program as the next iteration and Directv has to decide if such large financial marketing costs are in line with their strategic vision of the future. The Hulu purchase might just be an indication that Directv is looking to go in a new direction. Only one person can answer the question and he will not do so for professional reasons. 

#23 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

On items that aren't that important to them. Sunday Ticket is.

I can see sunday ticket exclusivity for commercial but let cable systems have it for home use and or commercial in areas where they can't get directv.

Maybe even let directv keep doing all the work but let cable systems take the directv feeds.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I can see sunday ticket exclusivity for commercial but let cable systems have it for home use and or commercial in areas where they can't get directv.

Maybe even let directv keep doing all the work but let cable systems take the directv feeds.

I can't see cable dedicating all the channels to nfl in competition with MLB, NHL and nba seasons. They can't handle the amount of HD now. Why think they could add nfl?

The nfl will not put up with hit and miss crap that the rest do now with cable.

Just don't see it. Plus they still won't want full distribution because it would harm their contracts with CBS and Fox.

The nfl understand how to maximize money and throwing your product all over the place with little quality control isn't how you do it.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#25 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Actually, we should want DirecTV to hold their ground and not let the programmers force them into the bundling practices which they (programmers) mandate. Now, if only all cable/sat companies would do this.

I don't think that's a good argument against pac 12. Pac 12 is not forcing people to buy extra channels the way Disney, FOX, Turner and Universal do.

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't think that's a good argument against pac 12. Pac 12 is not forcing people to buy extra channels the way Disney, FOX, Turner and Universal do.

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.

#27 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.

They wanted basic in market and sports pack out of market, like the cable companies and DISH are doing. DirecTV wanted sports pack in market which is ridiculous considering where they have BTN. 

#28 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Why don't you? I'm sure you'd be happy with the baseball offerings of Dish.

Dish is OK for baseball, at least my RSN is here and we get the MLB channel.    We also have options to buy Roku and stream the whole season if we really want to.  

#29 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.Do

None of us knows for sure, but if you follow the theory about Directv was offered the same deal as Dish that means it was included in market and in sports pack out of market.   If this was the option on the table for the Pac 12 I am sure they would have signed up for it.  I don't think Directv was willing to put it in packages in market or the deal would have been done....

#30 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

What, exactly, does Sunday Ticket have to do with the PAC-12?

Nothing really except what ties sports bars and the like to Directv.   Fans on the west coast expect to see their home town teams when they walk into a sports bar.  They don't see it in many cases because Pac 12 is not carried by Directv.   Bar is signed up with Directv because of NFL.     If the bar is not getting the NFL and is not getting the Pac 12 then why would they stick with Directv?   So if NFL goes away so do many commercial accounts on the west coast.      Right now many have multiple carriers to make the customer happy.....

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Dish is OK for baseball, at least my RSN is here and we get the MLB channel.    We also have options to buy Roku and stream the whole season if we really want to.

Sigh.

#32 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Bottom line is this - Directv will be watching how many customers they lose in late July and August when customers should be leaving Directv if they really want the Pac 12.   If a LOT leave then maybe you will see some changes....but if a LOT do not leave then do not expect the channel to ever be added.  Last year was a "game" between the two and the uncertainty, etc.  This year its clear there is no Pac 12 on Directv, so fans go in knowing that and can switch if they really want the Pac 12.   Many more customers are now out of contract if that is what they were waiting for.

Directv lied to us early on and gave us a line of bull.   I bought it and stayed into October, then I switched to Dish.   Frankly, I am happy with it and the service is fine.   The Hopper is great and it works well.   I did lose some HD channels by switching, but I have the Pac 12.  

And this last week the Pac 12 finally rolled out the android app for Pac 12, so far it works great on the phone.    

#33 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Sigh.

what is your point?

#34 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

What happens with the SEC channel will tell us a lot about who is to blame for the PAC 12 fiasco.  If the SEC network is on DirecTV before the PAC 12 network is, then we know the fault is with the PAC 12.  If neither network are on DirecTV, then we will know the fault is with DirecTV.  Even though the SEC network does not launch until August 2014, my guess is that it will be on DirecTV at the time of launch, and the PAC 12 network will be picked up shortly after the SEC network is launched.

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

If customers leave Directv it won't be because of PAC-12.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#36 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

What happens with the SEC channel will tell us a lot about who is to blame for the PAC 12 fiasco.  If the SEC network is on DirecTV before the PAC 12 network is, then we know the fault is with the PAC 12.  If neither network are on DirecTV, then we will know the fault is with DirecTV.  Even though the SEC network does not launch until August 2014, my guess is that it will be on DirecTV at the time of launch, and the PAC 12 network will be picked up shortly after the SEC network is launched.

Your comparing apples and oranges. 

If the SEC net is tied to ESPN by ESPN (since ESPN will have stake in the channel) then it will have a lot more leverage than a stand-alone PAC 12 Net.  And, everything I've read leads me to the conclusion that D* wanted a better deal than Dish signed for so I put the blame on DirecTV

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

what is your point?

What is yours? Now directv lied? When?

You jumped in on a comment made to an individual who is known for his passion for extra innings. It was tedious.
  • sigma1914 likes this

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Your comparing apples and oranges.
If the SEC net is tied to ESPN by ESPN (since ESPN will have stake in the channel) then it will have a lot more leverage than a stand-alone PAC 12 Net. And, everything I've read leads me to the conclusion that D* wanted a better deal than Dish signed for so I put the blame on DirecTV

The real apples and oranges are that the SEC is the SEC and the PAC 12 is a national afterthought. May not be right but it is what it is.

Where I live I cannot get the PAC 12 as I have no line of sight for Dish. Neither Comcast nor fios carry it. But I will bet the SEC is on all of them. Just as BTN is. I do not live in SEC land and until Maryland joins the Big Ten, I am not in Big Ten land either.

Some commodities are worth more than others. Especially to a national carrier.

#39 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think part of the problem is the PAC12 has more than 1 channel that they want coverage for. 

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#40 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I think part of the problem is the PAC12 has more than 1 channel that they want coverage for. 

dish has main + game only feeds as well as RSN in part time HD.

Directv can offer all the pac 12 feeds full time when the new sat goes up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...