Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't think that's a good argument against pac 12. Pac 12 is not forcing people to buy extra channels the way Disney, FOX, Turner and Universal do.

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.

They wanted basic in market and sports pack out of market, like the cable companies and DISH are doing. DirecTV wanted sports pack in market which is ridiculous considering where they have BTN. 

#28 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Why don't you? I'm sure you'd be happy with the baseball offerings of Dish.

Dish is OK for baseball, at least my RSN is here and we get the MLB channel.    We also have options to buy Roku and stream the whole season if we really want to.  

#29 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

They wanted same placement as big ten and on directv that is basic all over. Directv wanted sports pack for all or sports pack out of market.Do

None of us knows for sure, but if you follow the theory about Directv was offered the same deal as Dish that means it was included in market and in sports pack out of market.   If this was the option on the table for the Pac 12 I am sure they would have signed up for it.  I don't think Directv was willing to put it in packages in market or the deal would have been done....

#30 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

What, exactly, does Sunday Ticket have to do with the PAC-12?

Nothing really except what ties sports bars and the like to Directv.   Fans on the west coast expect to see their home town teams when they walk into a sports bar.  They don't see it in many cases because Pac 12 is not carried by Directv.   Bar is signed up with Directv because of NFL.     If the bar is not getting the NFL and is not getting the Pac 12 then why would they stick with Directv?   So if NFL goes away so do many commercial accounts on the west coast.      Right now many have multiple carriers to make the customer happy.....

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Dish is OK for baseball, at least my RSN is here and we get the MLB channel.    We also have options to buy Roku and stream the whole season if we really want to.

Sigh.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Bottom line is this - Directv will be watching how many customers they lose in late July and August when customers should be leaving Directv if they really want the Pac 12.   If a LOT leave then maybe you will see some changes....but if a LOT do not leave then do not expect the channel to ever be added.  Last year was a "game" between the two and the uncertainty, etc.  This year its clear there is no Pac 12 on Directv, so fans go in knowing that and can switch if they really want the Pac 12.   Many more customers are now out of contract if that is what they were waiting for.

Directv lied to us early on and gave us a line of bull.   I bought it and stayed into October, then I switched to Dish.   Frankly, I am happy with it and the service is fine.   The Hopper is great and it works well.   I did lose some HD channels by switching, but I have the Pac 12.  

And this last week the Pac 12 finally rolled out the android app for Pac 12, so far it works great on the phone.    

#33 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Sigh.

what is your point?

#34 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

What happens with the SEC channel will tell us a lot about who is to blame for the PAC 12 fiasco.  If the SEC network is on DirecTV before the PAC 12 network is, then we know the fault is with the PAC 12.  If neither network are on DirecTV, then we will know the fault is with DirecTV.  Even though the SEC network does not launch until August 2014, my guess is that it will be on DirecTV at the time of launch, and the PAC 12 network will be picked up shortly after the SEC network is launched.

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

If customers leave Directv it won't be because of PAC-12.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#36 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

What happens with the SEC channel will tell us a lot about who is to blame for the PAC 12 fiasco.  If the SEC network is on DirecTV before the PAC 12 network is, then we know the fault is with the PAC 12.  If neither network are on DirecTV, then we will know the fault is with DirecTV.  Even though the SEC network does not launch until August 2014, my guess is that it will be on DirecTV at the time of launch, and the PAC 12 network will be picked up shortly after the SEC network is launched.

Your comparing apples and oranges. 

If the SEC net is tied to ESPN by ESPN (since ESPN will have stake in the channel) then it will have a lot more leverage than a stand-alone PAC 12 Net.  And, everything I've read leads me to the conclusion that D* wanted a better deal than Dish signed for so I put the blame on DirecTV

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

what is your point?

What is yours? Now directv lied? When?

You jumped in on a comment made to an individual who is known for his passion for extra innings. It was tedious.
  • sigma1914 likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Your comparing apples and oranges.
If the SEC net is tied to ESPN by ESPN (since ESPN will have stake in the channel) then it will have a lot more leverage than a stand-alone PAC 12 Net. And, everything I've read leads me to the conclusion that D* wanted a better deal than Dish signed for so I put the blame on DirecTV

The real apples and oranges are that the SEC is the SEC and the PAC 12 is a national afterthought. May not be right but it is what it is.

Where I live I cannot get the PAC 12 as I have no line of sight for Dish. Neither Comcast nor fios carry it. But I will bet the SEC is on all of them. Just as BTN is. I do not live in SEC land and until Maryland joins the Big Ten, I am not in Big Ten land either.

Some commodities are worth more than others. Especially to a national carrier.

#39 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think part of the problem is the PAC12 has more than 1 channel that they want coverage for. 

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#40 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I think part of the problem is the PAC12 has more than 1 channel that they want coverage for. 

dish has main + game only feeds as well as RSN in part time HD.

Directv can offer all the pac 12 feeds full time when the new sat goes up.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#41 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Which is about the same time as the SEC network launches, and should be in time for the 2014 football season.  I think the deal for DirecTV to carry the SEC network will be anounced before the network launches, and the network will be on DirecTV from day one.  The deal for the PAC 12 will be anounced shortly after the deal for the SEC network is announced, and the PAC 12 network will be on DirecTV in time for the first football game in 2014, which will probably be one to two weeks after the SEC network launches..

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sounds good to me! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm still shocked that both sides are being such sticks in the mud over it -- despite knowing that the viewers are the ones losing out in the end. 

If Pac12 would stream online, I'd watch there, but without that, I'm stuck. And I already know that Week 3, I'm SOL in trying to watch USC vs Boston College (and my son in the band!)... [growl]

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#44 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dish Charlie must be a fan of the Colorado Buffaloes, that's the only thing that can explain how DISH of all companies carries the channel.

#45 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

What is yours? Now directv lied? When?

You jumped in on a comment made to an individual who is known for his passion for extra innings. It was tedious.

I don't understand why you have to always escalate things to a fight.

I never said Directv lied.   But fact remains that it makes no sense to offer one package to one provider and a different one to another.   Pac 12 says the terms were substantially the same and I believe that. 

Like it or not Pac 12 Network has been successful in getting all the football games on television as well as coverage for other sports that was not even on televised before.   It's been successful and is earning the Pac 12 some substantial funds.   Maybe it could have gotten that with another network, but that other network would not have carried all the other sports as well, and that by itself is worth it to many of us.  Doesn't much matter, the network was not set up for me, it was set up for the schools to earn cash.

#46 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

When there are other live events televised the other channels are on the alternates and are also in HD, well when there is football, basketball, and some other programs.    

Edited by WebTraveler, 01 July 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Dish Charlie must be a fan of the Colorado Buffaloes, that's the only thing that can explain how DISH of all companies carries the channel.

Dish did pick up quite a few subscribers just because of the Pac 12 in addition to myself.   Can add that to the mix as well.

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Dish did pick up quite a few subscribers just because of the Pac 12 in addition to myself.   Can add that to the mix as well.

Could you please give a number for "quite a few", and let us know your source of information.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Could you please give a number for "quite a few", and let us know your source of information.

I don't have any numbers other than I know quite a few people who have dropped Directv because of Pac 12 issues in my own circle and neighborhood.   Some went to Comcast, some went to Dish.   I also know what my install guy said last fall when he said he (and his entire office) was working 10-12 hrs a day with one day off a week because of the significant number of installs, many of which he flat said were Pac 12 related in early and mid football season.   I also know this from folks I talked to attendidng college football games last year.   Some were giving it the season.   There is absolutely a hassle factor in switching.   I also know Directv offered me the sky to not quit service.

Now that's not any scientific sample by any means.   But I know that there are people dropping Directv.   I know that last year people were confused.   This year we KNOW that Directv will not have the Pac 12 so we will see what impact it has.

But none of this really matters.....the Pac 12 is successful whether or not Directv picks it up.   Its profitable and its bringing the schols money and exposure for sports other than footbal and basketball.   Maybe it could be more profitable if it were on Directv.   But it is not and so what?   No pay TV channel or provider cares about any one of us.

#50 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'm still shocked that both sides are being such sticks in the mud over it -- despite knowing that the viewers are the ones losing out in the end. 

If Pac12 would stream online, I'd watch there, but without that, I'm stuck. And I already know that Week 3, I'm SOL in trying to watch USC vs Boston College (and my son in the band!)... [growl]

Neither side cares about the viewers - they only care about the money.  DirecTV has figured out how many customers whey will lose by not having the PAC 12 versus how much it costs to carry it.  Either way, DirecTV loses money on the deal, but at this point, they figure that they lose less by not having PAC 12 than they would lose by having it.  Yes, some customers have left DirecTV and more may follow, but the effect of these losses is less than what DirecTV would have been paying to the PAC 12.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...