Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

dish has main + game only feeds as well as RSN in part time HD.

Directv can offer all the pac 12 feeds full time when the new sat goes up.

Which is about the same time as the SEC network launches, and should be in time for the 2014 football season.  I think the deal for DirecTV to carry the SEC network will be anounced before the network launches, and the network will be on DirecTV from day one.  The deal for the PAC 12 will be anounced shortly after the deal for the SEC network is announced, and the PAC 12 network will be on DirecTV in time for the first football game in 2014, which will probably be one to two weeks after the SEC network launches..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sounds good to me! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm still shocked that both sides are being such sticks in the mud over it -- despite knowing that the viewers are the ones losing out in the end. 

If Pac12 would stream online, I'd watch there, but without that, I'm stuck. And I already know that Week 3, I'm SOL in trying to watch USC vs Boston College (and my son in the band!)... [growl]

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#44 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dish Charlie must be a fan of the Colorado Buffaloes, that's the only thing that can explain how DISH of all companies carries the channel.

#45 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

What is yours? Now directv lied? When?

You jumped in on a comment made to an individual who is known for his passion for extra innings. It was tedious.

I don't understand why you have to always escalate things to a fight.

I never said Directv lied.   But fact remains that it makes no sense to offer one package to one provider and a different one to another.   Pac 12 says the terms were substantially the same and I believe that. 

Like it or not Pac 12 Network has been successful in getting all the football games on television as well as coverage for other sports that was not even on televised before.   It's been successful and is earning the Pac 12 some substantial funds.   Maybe it could have gotten that with another network, but that other network would not have carried all the other sports as well, and that by itself is worth it to many of us.  Doesn't much matter, the network was not set up for me, it was set up for the schools to earn cash.

#46 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

dish has main + game only feeds as well as RSN in part time HD.

Directv can offer all the pac 12 feeds full time when the new sat goes up.

When there are other live events televised the other channels are on the alternates and are also in HD, well when there is football, basketball, and some other programs.    

Edited by WebTraveler, 01 July 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Dish Charlie must be a fan of the Colorado Buffaloes, that's the only thing that can explain how DISH of all companies carries the channel.

Dish did pick up quite a few subscribers just because of the Pac 12 in addition to myself.   Can add that to the mix as well.

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Dish did pick up quite a few subscribers just because of the Pac 12 in addition to myself.   Can add that to the mix as well.

Could you please give a number for "quite a few", and let us know your source of information.

#49 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Could you please give a number for "quite a few", and let us know your source of information.

I don't have any numbers other than I know quite a few people who have dropped Directv because of Pac 12 issues in my own circle and neighborhood.   Some went to Comcast, some went to Dish.   I also know what my install guy said last fall when he said he (and his entire office) was working 10-12 hrs a day with one day off a week because of the significant number of installs, many of which he flat said were Pac 12 related in early and mid football season.   I also know this from folks I talked to attendidng college football games last year.   Some were giving it the season.   There is absolutely a hassle factor in switching.   I also know Directv offered me the sky to not quit service.

Now that's not any scientific sample by any means.   But I know that there are people dropping Directv.   I know that last year people were confused.   This year we KNOW that Directv will not have the Pac 12 so we will see what impact it has.

But none of this really matters.....the Pac 12 is successful whether or not Directv picks it up.   Its profitable and its bringing the schols money and exposure for sports other than footbal and basketball.   Maybe it could be more profitable if it were on Directv.   But it is not and so what?   No pay TV channel or provider cares about any one of us.

#50 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'm still shocked that both sides are being such sticks in the mud over it -- despite knowing that the viewers are the ones losing out in the end. 

If Pac12 would stream online, I'd watch there, but without that, I'm stuck. And I already know that Week 3, I'm SOL in trying to watch USC vs Boston College (and my son in the band!)... [growl]

Neither side cares about the viewers - they only care about the money.  DirecTV has figured out how many customers whey will lose by not having the PAC 12 versus how much it costs to carry it.  Either way, DirecTV loses money on the deal, but at this point, they figure that they lose less by not having PAC 12 than they would lose by having it.  Yes, some customers have left DirecTV and more may follow, but the effect of these losses is less than what DirecTV would have been paying to the PAC 12.

#51 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Neither side cares about the viewers - they only care about the money.  DirecTV has figured out how many customers whey will lose by not having the PAC 12 versus how much it costs to carry it.  Either way, DirecTV loses money on the deal, but at this point, they figure that they lose less by not having PAC 12 than they would lose by having it.  Yes, some customers have left DirecTV and more may follow, but the effect of these losses is less than what DirecTV would have been paying to the PAC 12.

Like your avatar. I'm a Kentucky fan too.  :up:

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

WT-

Thanks for the complete answer. In addition to being anecdotal and limited, your circle of friends being most likely Pac12 fans, too, further biases any  conclusion. 

At the same time, the number leaving DIRECTV over that issue is probably not insignificant. In addition to fleckr's point, agreeing to a high charge to carry will affect all future negotiations, and not just for sports. 

#53 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Okay everyone, discuss the topic and NOT each other.  Last warning.

If you have a problem with someone's post report it but do not reply to it.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#54 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

WT-

Thanks for the complete answer. In addition to being anecdotal and limited, your circle of friends being most likely Pac12 fans, too, further biases any  conclusion. 

At the same time, the number leaving DIRECTV over that issue is probably not insignificant. In addition to fleckr's point, agreeing to a high charge to carry will affect all future negotiations, and not just for sports. 

Well, being on the west coast where there is a good solid fan base of Pac 12 alumni, of course you will see higher penetration and interest here.   Frankly, this issue is one of the top topics of discussion among college sports fans through the conference.

As I have stated the big thing to watch this year is the cancellations on the west coast.   It's well known this year that Directv will NOT have the network, so people do not have the excuse of saying "we'll wait and see what happens."   Directv is not coming on board.   Last year they told us all throughout the summer and into September they were interested in the channel.   We know that conflicted with what the Pac 12 was saying, but people gave it time to see because negotiations always go that way.    Locally, I know that many football  games are already announced for the Pac 12 network come fall and people are already exploring their options.   If they were under a Directv contract a year ago they may not be today, freeing them to switch if they want to.

Time will tell.   But it's going to take a LOT of people to leave before Directv would even consider reversing course.   I don't see it happening.   I don't see everyone switching, but I do know various folks that are looking at their options now.   Games start in late August and it's already July.   There is a push on now to get it installed and work out the kinks.

The other thing that affects all of this though is reportedly Dish's ESPN contracts are up in August, so we'll have to see how this all fits into the college football season as well.   Hopefully that will get worked out - and Dish customers can end up with all of the WatchESPN/ESPN3 options as well in the process, which would add another dimension to all of this.  

We'll just have to see.  But regardless of whether everyone has access or not the fact remains that the channels have done what they are supposed to do - bring in revenue and show more sports that would never get air time somewhere else.    

#55 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

I am biased in this matter, insomuch as am I am both an alum and fan.

On the one hand, I can understand both sides playing hardball: DirecTV wants to keep prices down, yet our bills are higher than ever, while the Pac-12 Network wants to make a profit. If this impasse is permanent, I can see where people--such as myself--permanently migrating to the providers that offers the most of what they want. Up until last year, DirecTV was that choice for me, but unfortunately no longer.

I'm sure my sentiment would be shared by SEC alumnists and fans, who may have to make the same tough decision in the future as well, depending on where that conference ends up being shown, and believe me, I will share nothing but empathy and sympathy if they are inconvenienced and forced to make the same difficult choice I did.

I don't believe the Pac-12 network will be a complete success without DirecTV (for the time being), regardless of the rhetoric. However, the importance of DirecTV will diminish among football fans (especially those of us on the west coast), IF Sunday Ticket is no longer carried on DirecTV. I can honestly see a lot of west coast NFL/Pac-12 football fans going to the provider that offers them the most of what they want once this happens.

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well, I am fully West Coast, but an alumnus of an Eastern university. I'd love to see Pac12 added; I am a fan of good college football, lacrosse, basketball, baseball in about that order. 

I am curious as to why you, WT, are so certain there's no possibility for it to be added prior to the first kick off. (I have no info. to the contrary, and pretty much no dog in the fight.)

#57 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think it's a tough sell just because the football games that are on P12N are clunkers compared to the P12 games on ESPN and FOX, and the conference has had 'down' years in basketball for a while now, and the other sports just haven't gained enough TV popularity yet. The Pac-12 schools definitely dominate at a lot of sports, but not all of them are ones that people seem to watch on TV...yet. P12N pumps out a lot of women's volleyball and women's basketball games. I enjoy watching volleyball, but I'm not sure how many folks will watch that - especially when it's competing with regular season and postseason MLB for most of it's season. I don't see the NFL Sunday Ticket being that big of a deal at the residential level except for transplants. As it is now, I could switch to Time Warner, but then I wouldn't have the Big Ten Network, or out of market RSNs which show a lot of college hockey which I enjoy. It's frustrating that there isn't one carrier that has all the sports channels...DirecTV used to be the provider you could count on, now customers are forced to pick and choose, also never knowing when a provider is going may drop a channel.

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Not being a Pac12 alumnus, I have 0 (zero) interest in all sorts of sports they will televise. I do care about football a lot, BB (both) not so much. I love lacrosse, but it's not D1, 2 or 3 among those schools, so it's not the best. I'd watch an occasional game. 

If I were an alum, say of the swimming team, I'd be thrilled at watching my school in a meet, and pay big bucks for the extra channels. But I am neither. The channel will have tremendous desirability among a pretty small group of folks, men and women who are sports fans, (especially those on secondary and tertiary teams), and grads of one of the Uni's involved. 

#59 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Well, I am fully West Coast, but an alumnus of an Eastern university. I'd love to see Pac12 added; I am a fan of good college football, lacrosse, basketball, baseball in about that order. 

I am curious as to why you, WT, are so certain there's no possibility for it to be added prior to the first kick off. (I have no info. to the contrary, and pretty much no dog in the fight.)

All I know is last year I went toe to toe with folks in the CEO's office and little happened.  Upon cancellation I know Directv offered me the store to continue as a customer - I mean seriously everything to significant credits on my account for two years, free everything pay channels for two years, new equipment, pay tv credits, etc. and I just said no.   They easily offered me things where there was no way whatsoever they were going to make money off of me for at least two years.  

Couple all this with Directv's stance and Pac 12's comments and I just cannot see any sudden turn around without a new CEO; seriously, after all this time Mike White is going to reverse course?   Not a chance.

I can see this happen only if there is a change in management of Directv or a big loss of subs....I just don't see the loss large enough to do it.

#60 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Not being a Pac12 alumnus, I have 0 (zero) interest in all sorts of sports they will televise. I do care about football a lot, BB (both) not so much. I love lacrosse, but it's not D1, 2 or 3 among those schools, so it's not the best. I'd watch an occasional game. 

If I were an alum, say of the swimming team, I'd be thrilled at watching my school in a meet, and pay big bucks for the extra channels. But I am neither. The channel will have tremendous desirability among a pretty small group of folks, men and women who are sports fans, (especially those on secondary and tertiary teams), and grads of one of the Uni's involved. 

I can say the same about the proposed SEC channel.   I have close to zero percent interest there.   Any big game will be on ESPN or CBS so I am covered anyway....and of course all games to some extent are regional match ups.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...