Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1411 replies to this topic

#841 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Until the Regents of the majority of the PAC-12 Uni's fire Larry Scott. 

I don't see that happening anytime soon, he did as they asked him to do when he was hired.  Get a much better TV deal, create a network and bring in big $$$ while expanding the conference. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#842 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Anyone could have gotten a better TV deal. But I agree it's not real likely. What a butt head he and the Cal AD are. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#843 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Dish is using an overflow channel to show the Fresno St@ Colorado game, since its only on the PAC 12 Rocky Mtn channel while the BC @USC is on the national channel.  Why couldn't D* & the Pac 12 agree to the same? (Comcast is doing the same for its subs here in California).

#844 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Because PAC 12 wants DirecTV to uplink all seven PAC-12 channels. BTN DirecTV uses your described procedure for BTN.  Then again, BTN is only one channel and uses overflow only during football and basketball seasons. By the way, I was under the impression that Dish is uplinking all seven PAc-12 channels. So, it is interesting they are using an overflow channel.

Dish is using an overflow channel to show the Fresno St@ Colorado game, since its only on the PAC 12 Rocky Mtn channel while the BC @USC is on the national channel.  Why couldn't D* & the Pac 12 agree to the same? (Comcast is doing the same for its subs here in California).

#845 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Because PAC 12 wants DirecTV to uplink all seven PAC-12 channels. BTN DirecTV uses your described procedure for BTN.  Then again, BTN is only one channel and uses overflow only during football and basketball seasons. By the way, I was under the impression that Dish is uplinking all seven PAc-12 channels. So, it is interesting they are using an overflow channel.

Love your avatar...GO BUCKEYES!!!

Sandra

#846 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Because PAC 12 wants DirecTV to uplink all seven PAC-12 channels. BTN DirecTV uses your described procedure for BTN. Then again, BTN is only one channel and uses overflow only during football and basketball seasons. By the way, I was under the impression that Dish is uplinking all seven PAc-12 channels. So, it is interesting they are using an overflow channel.

To be fair to the PAC 12, I'm not sure they are still demanding that. They sure did (publicly) at launch but it sounds like they backed off that.

What appears to be the sticking point is who gets it at what package. If the PAC 12 is asking to match BTN status on each provider (which seems consistent with what has happened thus far and is consistent with claiming all the deals are the same from that view), and directv doesn't want a national basic package deal, we have a standoff. That is how it looks to me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#847 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Dish is using an overflow channel to show the Fresno St@ Colorado game, since its only on the PAC 12 Rocky Mtn channel while the BC @USC is on the national channel. Why couldn't D* & the Pac 12 agree to the same? (Comcast is doing the same for its subs here in California).

They would have. It was just announced that the game is postponed because of the flooding in Boulder.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#848 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Because PAC 12 wants DirecTV to uplink all seven PAC-12 channels.

If that is true they should settle for less, as they did with DISH.

I believe their initial request was for seven channels ... but that was before they had any national carriage contracts and the local cable companies were agreeing to carry less than seven channels (whatever was appropriate for their market).

By the way, I was under the impression that Dish is uplinking all seven PAc-12 channels. So, it is interesting they are using an overflow channel.

Nope ... DISH treats PAC-12 just like BTN on DISH - except the PAC-12 main channel is not in 24/7 HD.
The additional content is "game only" on special alternate channels.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#849 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Until the Regents of the majority of the PAC-12 Uni's fire Larry Scott. 

Why would they do that.....Pac 12 is bringing in substantial dollars and providing unparalled access.   Fact that Directv chooses to not do business with them is on Directv not the Pac 12.   Directv wants a deal different than everyone else.....why on earth would Pac 12 do that?   Then they would owe substantial dollars back to every other system......that would get him fired.   Your anger should be directed at Directv and CEO Mike White.....or you can just switch.

#850 OFFLINE   tnnolman

tnnolman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Not switching but I really think that PAC12 and Directv need to get a deal done ASAP. Same with LONGHORN Net.

#851 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

I do not think the Longhorn network will ever be picked up by DirecTV unless it morphs into a Big 12 network, but I believe there will be a PAC 12 deal in place for the start of the 2014 season.

If I cared about the PAC 12, I woiuld be more upset with the conference for starting another unnecessary network and for doing it in such a way that is not favorable to a national provider like DirecTV.  The PAC 12 should have followed the BIG 10 (and soon to be SEC) model or the PAC 12 should have gotten deals with the regional sports networks.  Even before the SEC network launches, every SEC game is televised.

#852 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I do not think the Longhorn network will ever be picked up by DirecTV unless it morphs into a Big 12 network

If I cared about the PAC 12, I woiuld be more upset with the conference for starting another unnecessary network and for doing it in such a way that is not favorable to a national provider like DirecTV.  The PAC 12 should have followed the BIG 10 (and soon to be SEC) model or the PAC 12 should have gotten deals with the regional sports networks.  Even before the SEC network launches, every SEC game is televised.

ESPN might try to use its next go-around with D* to leverage the Longhorn Network.

I'm pretty sure the PAC 12 Net isn't regretting its strategy since Verizon's FIOs and D* are the only major carriers that haven't picked up the Net. 

#853 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well, some of them—a few constituents— have shown themselves to reach for the lowest common denominator.

#854 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Why would they do that.....Pac 12 is bringing in substantial dollars and providing unparalled access.   Fact that Directv chooses to not do business with them is on Directv not the Pac 12.   Directv wants a deal different than everyone else.....why on earth would Pac 12 do that?   Then they would owe substantial dollars back to every other system......that would get him fired.   Your anger should be directed at Directv and CEO Mike White.....or you can just switch.

Some of your comment is untrue. If Directv and the Pac12 signed a contract that is different than the contract signed by other systems that would in no way obligate the Pac12 to refund any money to other systems. It doesn't work that way. Each contract that the Pac12 signs with individual cable and sat systems is independent of other contracts.

#855 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Some of your comment is untrue. If Directv and the Pac12 signed a contract that is different than the contract signed by other systems that would in no way obligate the Pac12 to refund any money to other systems. It doesn't work that way. Each contract that the Pac12 signs with individual cable and sat systems is independent of other contracts.

How can you say this? I mean, based on what source? It has been widely reported there's a "most favored nation" clause in the contracts.... but no one can really confirm that, either. 

#856 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

"Most favored nation" is such a good clause to have in a contract that I'd be surprised if any major carrier would sign a new contract without that clause. Every carrier fights for the best deal. MFN allows carriers to get what they feel is the best they can get without worrying that the next negotiation will give their competition a better deal.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#857 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

Yes but who knows what exactly and how exactly those things are implemented.

I still think they could sign a deal that put it in the sports teirs and everyone could survivor. Pac12 could still charge more and no hurt MFN I would imagine and dtv would get what they want which is a different teir.

But who knows for sure. Oh yeah no one that can actually say. I hope they work irony someday. Id prefer to not have to stream the channels.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#858 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Don't blame Directv if it chooses not to buy programming it considers too expensive for what it provides. What Dish paid is irrelevant. Dish thought it was worth it at the price it paid. Directv does not. Business decision. Just as there are channels Directv has that Dish doesn't consider worth what's being asked. PAC-12 can either lower the price or pound sand.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#859 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yes but who knows what exactly and how exactly those things are implemented.

People who are in the industry or pay enough attention to the industry to know what is going on.

I still think they could sign a deal that put it in the sports teirs and everyone could survivor. Pac12 could still charge more and no hurt MFN I would imagine and dtv would get what they want which is a different teir.

MFN prevents a competitor from getting a better deal without making the previous deals better. For example, if DISH agrees to $10 per subscriber per month with an MFN clause then Comcast getting a contract for $9 per subscriber per month would lower DISH's rate. Carriers are free to make worse deals than their competitors ... for example Comcast agreeing to pay $11 per subscriber after DISH agreed to $10 per subscriber would not affect DISH's rate.

If the tier is the point of contention that may get written in as an MFN. But after introducing a channel in a lower tier (the one Pac-12 wants) raising it to a higher tier (the one the carrier wanted) is bad for publicity. Such an MFN clause (ie: "you must place the channel(s) in Choice in market unless another carrier is given permission to place the channel in a higher package") would free up the previous contracted carriers to move the channels (and reduce the subscriber count) but there would be risk involved for the carrier. How would an in market customer like it if PAC-12 was in Choice when introduced and then a year later jumped to Sports Pack/Premier?

PAC-12 wants to ADD subscribers - not lose them. If a deal with DirecTV to add their subscribers caused PAC-12 to lose subscribers through other carriers or reduced per subscriber payments from other carriers it would be a bad deal for PAC-12. DirecTV would need to bring more subscribers and money to the table than PAC-12 would lose when accepting the deal.

It seems that PAC-12 is doing fine without DirecTV and are confident going forward. DirecTV can say the same.

#860 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

PAC-12 wants to ADD subscribers - not lose them. If a deal with DirecTV to add their subscribers caused PAC-12 to lose subscribers through other carriers or reduced per subscriber payments from other carriers it would be a bad deal for PAC-12. DirecTV would need to bring more subscribers and money to the table than PAC-12 would lose when accepting the deal.

That's true so long as enriching coffers of PAC-12 is the main goal. Kinda leaves out the lofty goals of more exposure for the schools, athletes, and certain athletic programs. And fans, the fans who won't abandon DIRECTV® over this, are also inconvenienced. 

spam firewall