Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1777 replies to this topic

#921 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Your opinion.

Oregon is one of the most entertaining teams to watch that has come along in a long time.  Their high-speed offense is a marvel, and I for one (besides being a suffering Cal Bear fan) would really like to watch that game.

DirecTV must really not like doing business in Oregon.. this weekend both of its schools are not going to be on and the ongoing non-carriage feud with CSN NW.  

An Oregon or Cal fan will watch this game.  Nationally, this is a terrible game.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#922 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

An Oregon or Cal fan will watch this game.  Nationally, this is a terrible game.

Nationally this is a terrible game?  That's just your opinion.

In the opinion of someone in New Jersey who qualifies as 'Nationally', Oregon is ALWAYS a game you want to watch, regardless of who they're playing (although playing a Pac-12 team and playing at raucous Autzen Stadium makes it even better), and regardless of what the final score may wind up being.

If the game meets your criteria for terrible, then you shouldn't watch it.  But there are a lot of us who would like to watch this game.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 24 September 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#923 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Apparently not enough for Directv to carry the channel.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#924 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Here is the schedule for Saturday night.  There are 2 other PAC12 games on ESPN.

10:00 PM No. 5 Stanford at Washington State networkLogo_espn.gif watchespn-55x12.png      

10:15 PM Southern Miss at Boise State networkLogo_espnu.gif watchespn-55x12.png      

10:30 PM California at No. 2 Oregon Pac-12 Network      

10:30 PM USC at Arizona State networkLogo_espn2.gif watchespn-55x12.png      

Edited by Curtis0620, 24 September 2013 - 08:22 AM.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#925 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Last Saturday's Tennessee v Florida was nationally a terrible game and it was on CBS.  What's your point?

#926 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Why don't those of you so passionate about what's a good game or not provide some viewer numbers? It's not about the avid fan living in Jersey who really wants to see Oregon demolish Cal; it's about the number of those. Pretty slim is my bet. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#927 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Last Saturday's Tennessee v Florida was nationally a terrible game and it was on CBS.  What's your point?

My point is at $0.10 per sub to carry this channel nationally (Choice Package) is it worth $2 million per month?

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#928 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

The point is that CBS is not asking DirecTV for more money just to show SEC football.  DirecTV already provides CBS and CBS content is far more than the SEC game of the week.  Most of what is on CBS has a national audience.  Most of what is on the Pac 12 network has a regional audience.  Also, the Tennessee v Florida game did not START at 10:30 EDT.  Whether it was a good game or not, more people nationally were awake to watch it than will be awake by the end of the Cal v Oregon game

Edited by fleckrj, 24 September 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#929 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

It's the SEC and a rivalry game. It trumps virtually most P12 games.

As for ratings... The P12 Stanford/ASU had the lowest ratings. The “SEC on CBS” attracted the third-largest overnight of the weekend, with a 3.0 for Tennessee/Florida. Arizona State/Stanford on FOX, which earned a mere 1.3 overnight — the network’s lowest ever for a primetime college football game. As for cable, the top telecast of the weekend was ESPN’s Auburn/LSU telecast, which earned a 1.9... still higher than the Fox P12 game which was reaching more homes since it's a big 4 network.

Source

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#930 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Some are talking numbers, ratings, viewers, and you're mentioning that it wasn't a good game. Could have been, though. 

#931 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Why don't those of you so passionate about what's a good game or not provide some viewer numbers? It's not about the avid fan living in Jersey who really wants to see Oregon demolish Cal; it's about the number of those. Pretty slim is my bet

Why don't you provide some viewer numbers to support your point?

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 24 September 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#932 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Sandra

I did. They showed how lackluster the ratings were for 2 ranked P12 teams.

• mrdobolina likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#933 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

You should have quoted this from the article you linked, it makes it painfully obvious why Directv isn't in any hurry to pick up the Pac 12 network, certainly not on terms similar to that of BTN:

Bring up the rear on broadcast was Arizona State/Stanford on FOX, which earned a mere 1.3 overnight — the network’s lowest ever for a primetime college football game.

Compare with the week before when ASU played Wisconsin instead of Stanford which got a 1.6 rating in the late night time slot! This game finished at around 1 AM in the midwest and 2 AM on the east coast, and still more people watched it than the Stanford game played in prime time. And that despite the fact Stanford was ranked higher for that game than Wisconsin was before the refs screwed them out of a chance for a winning FG...

Pac 12 fans need to watch the games they have on the networks and get those ratings up if they want to put any pressure for more carriage of the Pac 12 network. Maybe put them on in a spare bedroom with the volume down so it looks like you're watching them! :) If it is "watched" from a set top able to call home via the Internet/cable, it probably makes its way into the TV ratings (but I don't really know they do the ratings now so I could be wrong)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#934 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm sorry, I must have missed that.  What ratings did you show?

Sandra

#935 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

You should have quoted this from the article you linked, it makes it painfully obvious why Directv isn't in any hurry to pick up the Pac 12 network, certainly not on terms similar to that of BTN:

Compare with the week before when ASU played Wisconsin instead of Stanford which got a 1.6 rating in the late night time slot! This game finished at around 1 AM in the midwest and 2 AM on the east coast, and still more people watched it than the Stanford game played in prime time. And that despite the fact Stanford was ranked higher for that game than Wisconsin was before the refs screwed them out of a chance for a winning FG...

The spin you use can also be spun the other way in the case you cited.

Let's check some facts here...this past Saturday ASU-Stanford was up against Auburn-LSU on ESPN, The team from up North vs. UConn and Kansas- State-Texas on ABC, Johnny Football on ESPNU, Alabama on ESPN2, not to mention MLB pennant race games.

The Wisconsin - ASU game was on against...virtually no games whatsoever.  Basically had the time slot to itself.

AND on the West Coast, guess what?  THE ASU-WISCONSIN GAME WAS THE ONE THAT WAS ON IN PRIMETIME, in Pac-12 territory, not late night as you stated.  Funny how time zones work.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 24 September 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#936 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Because I am not making categorical statements. 

#937 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

The spin you use can also be spun the other way in the case you cited.

Let's check some facts here...this past Saturday ASU-Stanford was up against Auburn-LSU on ESPN, The team from up North vs. UConn and Kansas- State-Texas on ABC, Johnny Football on ESPNU, Alabama on ESPN2, not to mention MLB pennant race games.

The Wisconsin - ASU game was on against...virtually no games whatsoever.  Basically had the time slot to itself.

AND on the West Coast, guess what?  THE ASU-WISCONSIN GAME WAS THE ONE THAT WAS ON IN PRIMETIME, in Pac-12 territory, not late night as you stated.  Funny how time zones work.

Sandra

That's a great argument for this network to be regional only.  Unfortunately the PAC12 wants it national. 

• sigma1914 likes this
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#938 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

After having to watch that thumping last Saturday, I could only wish that my Vols were in the Pac 12 and I didn't have access to their games... LOL

• sigma1914 likes this

#939 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

That's a great argument for this network to be regional only.  Unfortunately the PAC12 wants it national. 

Ok, and what is wrong with that? Dish, ATT, Comcast, and Brighthouse have rolled the channel out in "non PAC 12" territory? The argument that the Pac 12 doesn't draw on TV is a bit outdated.  Using the SEC #s to say it's a big draw....well those games are on late afternoon on the East Coast. Out here on the West Coast those are mid-day games when honestly a lot of people are not viewing their TVs in the fall. They are out doing things with their families ie kids doing sports etc.  The "late" games people often refer to on the East Coast are starting on the West Coast at 5pm or 7pm.

My job had me in two pretty large DirecTV Sports Bar customers last week that each have 4+ locations in Nor Cal/Nor NV and on avg have 5 different programs running.  Each of them made the point they have had to add an extra service since DirecTV isn't offering Pac 12.  Their customer base wants/demands they carry Pac 12 games.  Now they have added Comcast/Dish/ATT to their mix whereas in the past it was solely DirecTV in their operations.  I know one of these customers avgs over $30,000 a month in DirecTV bills. I didn't bring up the Pac 12 issue(s), never did I mention I was a DirecTV customer as well.  They were just frustrated/disappointed in the fact there was no Pac12 channel for all the money they are paying to DirecTV. The customer can not risk losing the large $$$ brought in each weekend by fans of Oregon, Stanford, USC, Cal, UCLA, or ASU.  (those were the schools they mentioned by name that draw customers to their operations)

#940 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

They should be Choice Extra in PAC12 states and Sports Pack in Non-PAC12 states.

The PAC12 doesn't want that.  So who is really keeping the PAC12 Network off of Directv?

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...