Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1411 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have 7 HD DVR receivers. 1 HR21, 5 HR24s, and 1 HR34 genie. I am also under contract for another year.

No matter how much I plead my case, nobody is going to give me 7 HD DVR receivers for free, plus pay my early termination fee, and then come set it all up for free and without running new cables all over my house.

Realistically, I don't have an option to leave Directv without taking a huge hit.

Not to mention recording space.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yikes, the whole 'Chip Kelly has been successful so far in the NFL' and 'he has a better chance to be NFL coach of the year than he does of getting fired' has taken a huge hit the last few weeks. 

Chip is learning that when you don't have most of the fastest and bestest athletes on the field, your offensive system doesn't look quite so superior.

He's also getting destroyed on Philly radio for a lot of his in-game decisions.

Perhaps he's closer to the USC job than some realized!

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 30 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#1243 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yikes, the whole 'Chip Kelly has been successful so far in the NFL' and 'he has a better chance to be NFL coach of the year than he does of getting fired' has taken a huge hit the last few weeks.

Chip is learning that when you don't have most of the fastest and bestest athletes on the field, your offensive system doesn't look quite so superior.

He's also getting destroyed on Philly radio for a lot of his in-game decisions.

Perhaps he's closer to the USC job than some realized!

Sandra

If he gets fired from Philly, yes, a return to college is certainly possible.

As my main argument was that successful NFL coaches never quit to return to college, this doesn't contradict that.

While it's possible Kelly will be a failure, it's way too early to say he will be at this point. His team was in first place until their starting QB went down with an injury. Add to that the backup QB also going down with an injury, and losses should be expected. Especially on a team that finished dead last in their division last year.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 30 October 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#1244 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

If he gets fired from Philly, yes, a return to college is certainly possible. As my main argument was that successful NFL coaches never quit to return to college, this doesn't contradict that. While it's possible Kelly will be a failure, it's way too early to say he will be at this point. His team was in first place until their starting QB went down with an injury. Add to that the backup QB also going down with an injury, and losses should be expected. Especially on a team that finished dead last in their division last year.

It was way too early to call Kelly a coach of the year candidate a few weeks ago too, but you did!

Kelly is finding out you don't have another scholarship QB ready to step in and run an offense that basically ran itself at Oregon, because so often the other team simply did not have enough athletes on defense to keep up.  Not the case in the NFL...does not matter how high-tech your offense is.

You have to wonder if this makes him long for the days at Oregon (or USC, which started this tangent), where he can load up again with the best players.

His decision-making has also been exposed...possibly a by-product of not having to make many in-game decisions on the college level, where he was winning most games by three touchdowns in the first half alone.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#1245 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

It was way too early to call Kelly a coach of the year candidate a few weeks ago too, but you did!

Kelly is finding out you don't have another scholarship QB ready to step in and run an offense that basically ran itself at Oregon, because so often the other team simply did not have enough athletes on defense to keep up. Not the case in the NFL...does not matter how high-tech your offense is.

You have to wonder if this makes him long for the days at Oregon (or USC, which started this tangent), where he can load up again with the best players.

His decision-making has also been exposed...possibly a by-product of not having to make many in-game decisions on the college level, where he was winning most games by three touchdowns in the first half alone.

Sandra

You are wrong on so many points I almost don't even know where to start.

First, I never said he was a coach of the year candidate. I said it was possible if they went from last to first. I also said it was more likely that he win coach of the year than him getting fired. That's not calling him a candidate.

Second, he DID have another "scholarship QB" ready to step in. The problem is he got hurt too. They're down to third string in Philly.

I highly doubt he's longing for the days when he can take a huge step backwards and go coach USC. He's probably worried about his game plan for next week and how everyone will be eating crow when he turns things around. The only thing about college that he is probably giving serious thought is who they are going to draft.

They are still in second place in their division at this moment, only 1 game out of first. It's way too early to be digging his grave.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 30 October 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#1246 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

They are still in second place in their division at this moment, only 1 game out of first. It's way too early to be digging his grave.

You're speaking for yourself, and they are still hopeful at the moment in Philly...but they're also sharpening the grave digging tools just in case.   :blackeye:

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 30 October 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#1247 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Now, wait a minute! Are you suggesting that fans in Philly are anything but patient, forgiving and genteel?

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1248 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Now, wait a minute! Are you suggesting that fans in Philly are anything but patient, forgiving and genteel?

:)

It's a long way from Oregon!  And USC too...

Different planet.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 30 October 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#1249 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Having been with DTV for over 7 years; with the last several months of moaning, groaning, arguing and plain 'ole bitching with them, am gonna finally cut the cord..........tomorrow will set up with Dish and tell DTV to take a flying leap!!!  Honestly, have had Dish prior and swore not to go back; HOWEVER, after dealing DTV this weekend, am now convinced it's the thing to do! 

DTV............you are in the business of earning consumers' business.......not the other way around!  Believe me, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ENTITY TO PROVIDE ENTERTAINMENT.  Once you realize your West Coast subscribers are important, then maybe you'll get it!  "FORK DTV"

#1250 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Having been with DTV for over 7 years; with the last several months of moaning, groaning, arguing and plain 'ole bitching with them, am gonna finally cut the cord..........tomorrow will set up with Dish and tell DTV to take a flying leap!!!  Honestly, have had Dish prior and swore not to go back; HOWEVER, after dealing DTV this weekend, am now convinced it's the thing to do! 

DTV............you are in the business of earning consumers' business.......not the other way around!  Believe me, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ENTITY TO PROVIDE ENTERTAINMENT.  Once you realize your West Coast subscribers are important, then maybe you'll get it!  "FORK DTV"

Cool story, bro.

• sigma1914 likes this

#1251 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Having been with DTV for over 7 years; with the last several months of moaning, groaning, arguing and plain 'ole bitching with them, am gonna finally cut the cord..........tomorrow will set up with Dish and tell DTV to take a flying leap!!! Honestly, have had Dish prior and swore not to go back; HOWEVER, after dealing DTV this weekend, am now convinced it's the thing to do!

DTV............you are in the business of earning consumers' business.......not the other way around! Believe me, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ENTITY TO PROVIDE ENTERTAINMENT. Once you realize your West Coast subscribers are important, then maybe you'll get it! "FORK DTV"

So are you leaving because of the pac12 or something that happened this weekend?

#1252 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Basically because of DTV and Pac 12's inability to do a deal.........but did have some issues with DTV this weekend over Fox Soccer Channel........upon comparison of DTV and Dish, found we could get more for a lot less money with Dish...my husband wanted the FSC and I wanted P12N.......should be a happy household once Dish is in the house!!!

#1253 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

I am a long time West Coast customer, and don't feel slighted at all by DIRECTV. I am looking forward to the Stanford- OU matchup on Thursday, which will be on ESPN, and several TBA games on Saturday. 

Good luck to you! 

#1254 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

To each their own........but basically I feel it's the consumer's decision.........and am not too thrilled that DTV decided I could pay an additional RS fee (basically for the Lakers Channel) but not work a deal with P12N.  (If it was Showtime Lakers with Magic and Kareem......heck yeah, I'd pay..........but not now, especially since I already pay for 30 channels that show the same programming!!!) 

When you have billing in excess of $125/month you should at least be able to watch what you want!!!

#1255 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Basically because of DTV and Pac 12's inability to do a deal.........but did have some issues with DTV this weekend over Fox Soccer Channel........upon comparison of DTV and Dish, found we could get more for a lot less money with Dish...my husband wanted the FSC and I wanted P12N.......should be a happy household once Dish is in the house!!!

Ummm, Fox Soccer Channel no longer exists on any carrier.

#1256 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

To each their own........but basically I feel it's the consumer's decision.........and am not too thrilled that DTV decided I could pay an additional RS fee (basically for the Lakers Channel) but not work a deal with P12N.  (If it was Showtime Lakers with Magic and Kareem......heck yeah, I'd pay..........but not now, especially since I already pay for 30 channels that show the same programming!!!) 

When you have billing in excess of $125/month you should at least be able to watch what you want!!!

Actually that fee is because we have more than one rsn.  It started before the lakers channel even existed.  Its actually more a Prime Ticket and Lakers channel fee now...

#1257 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

The Fox Soccer Channel does exists as an a la carte (additional monthly fee)...........and is on both DTV and Dish.  Frankly, I am extremely tired of DTV dictating to subscribers what they can have.  We are the consumer; and as such, want a choice of stations.  I am extremely bitter that DTV feels its their duty to regulate certain broadcasters; however, provide many, many unwanted channels.  If this was a perfect world, subscribers could "pick and choose" their stations and be billed accordingly.  But since that is not the case, as an unhappy subscriber, I am exercising my freedom of choice!!!

#1258 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,791 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

The Fox Soccer Channel does exists as an a la carte (additional monthly fee)...........and is on both DTV and Dish.  Frankly, I am extremely tired of DTV dictating to subscribers what they can have.  We are the consumer; and as such, want a choice of stations.  I am extremely bitter that DTV feels its their duty to regulate certain broadcasters; however, provide many, many unwanted channels.

Every provider does that.

And Fox Soccer Channel completely ended in September and rebranded as FXX. You're thinking of FS+... That's a la carte.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1259 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

What DirecTV can and cannot offer a la carte is determined by the content providers - not by DirecTV.  If the PAC 12 would have allowed DirecTV to offer the channel a la carte, we would have had the channel from day one, but the PAC 12 will only agree to allow DirecTV to carry the channel if it is placed in a basic package.

#1260 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

At their price....

spam firewall