Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

#1281 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

cable systems and dish / directv are not really the same.

Also pac-12 wanted to be on the same level as big ten on dish and directv.

Dish has big ten in sports pack out of market and directv has it in basic for all.

pac12 is in sports pack on lot's of cable systems.

Directv seems to be having this issue with other RSN's like CSN Houston the Astros want it to be in basic for there full big and wide covage area. I think directv wants to put the outer rings in to sports pack like other RSN's.

Well Huston is a bad example because NO ONE is caring it. You should check out the thread about it. The owners are all suing each other. The channel is probably going to implode soon enough.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1282 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

If 50 providers accept the deal is it really that bad?

In today's day & age? Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#1283 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

If 50 providers accept the deal is it really that bad?

In today's day & age? Absolutely

Would that opinion change if DirecTV was one of the 50? "Or is it bad only because DirecTV has not accepted it?"

Somehow if DirecTV was carrying PAC-12 people would be saying the deal was fine ... without knowing the details. Yet without DirecTV carrying PAC-12 the deal is said to be bad ... without knowing the details. Perhaps that is just a bias toward DirecTV and the assumption that what makes a deal good (regardless of details) is DirecTV's acceptance.

You are assuming that the Pac 12 is offering Directv the same price and coverage requirements as everyone else and that Directv is refusing that deal. The Pac 12 seems to be implying that, but even if they stated it outright that doesn't mean it is the truth.

When two companies are negotiating in public like Pac 12 and Directv are, they are both trying to make the other guy look like the villain, so I wouldn't believe anything either of them says because neither is under any obligation to tell the truth. It isn't as though they're under oath or these statements are in SEC filings.

I prefer to believe that there is some truth in every statement. Seeing the truth shared when the truth also must be withheld (confidentiality of negotiations) gets complicated. I do not expect outright lies from either party ... that sort of thing would be called out. I look for the things that one party has said and the other party has not refuted.

Neither party is telling the complete truth ... but that does not mean that they are lying. They are just maintaining confidentiality.

Clearly if Pac 12 wants Directv to put their network on one of the basic packages, rates will go up eventually because of that.

And DirecTV's value as a service provider will go up as well. DirecTV averaged $16 profit per month per subscriber in the third quarter ($17 per subscriber for the whole year 2012). They can't afford 10c for PAC-12? Eventually rates will go up regardless of if the channel is added or not. And perhaps DirecTV will make a profit of $18 per subscriber per month.

Obviously you want the Pac 12 network and are unhappy they don't have it, and I get that.

Nope. I don't watch PAC-12 or most sports. My comments are not about me - they are about PAC-12 and DirecTV.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1284 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

James, it doesn't matter if we think it is good or bad. Obviously, Directv thinks it is bad. And, yes, it can be bad with others accepting it.

It might just be bad or it might be bad just for Directv's circumstances or it might be bad for national carriers (not local, which is the majority of those 50 you are talking about) or it might be bad for satellite systems (dish has a unique deal with stadium rights, so they are not automatically comparable).

But, yes, the deal could be bad with lots agreeing to it. It happens all the time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1285 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

James they don't want 10 cents they want 80 or something like that is what was mentioned was it not?

#1286 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Would that opinion change if DirecTV was one of the 50? "Or is it bad only because DirecTV has not accepted it?"

Somehow if DirecTV was carrying PAC-12 people would be saying the deal was fine ... without knowing the details. Yet without DirecTV carrying PAC-12 the deal is said to be bad ... without knowing the details. Perhaps that is just a bias toward DirecTV and the assumption that what makes a deal good (regardless of details) is DirecTV's acceptance.

I am not sure why I would be bias for DirecTV when I don't even have DirecTV. I recently got FiOS. 

#1287 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

James they don't want 10 cents they want 80 or something like that is what was mentioned was it not?

I was quoting slice1900's "10c" ... but I believe the price was 10c out of market and 80c in market. Which if the conflict is over whether or not put PAC-12 in Choice nationwide it would come down to a 10c per customer charge.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1288 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

I am not sure why I would be bias for DirecTV when I don't even have DirecTV. I recently got FiOS.

I did not intend to say that you personally would be biased ... nor anyone else. I was trying to denote a longstanding impression that "anything DirecTV does is right". As if DirecTV has never made a bad decision ever?

(I also do not believe that one has to be a current or former subscriber to be a fan of a company to the point of bias. DirecTV is an impressive company. While I do not believe they have never made a bad decision they certainly have made plenty of good ones.)

#1289 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

I was quoting slice1900's "10c" ... but I believe the price was 10c out of market and 80c in market. Which if the conflict is over whether or not put PAC-12 in Choice nationwide it would come down to a 10c per customer charge.

Ok makes sense. So you are looking at a million plus dollars a month.

#1290 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I did not intend to say that you personally would be biased ... nor anyone else. I was trying to denote a longstanding impression that "anything DirecTV does is right". As if DirecTV has never made a bad decision ever?

(I also do not believe that one has to be a current or former subscriber to be a fan of a company to the point of bias. DirecTV is an impressive company. While I do not believe they have never made a bad decision they certainly have made plenty of good ones.)

I agree that some may have that attitude but I don't think you will find me loving all that much that DirecTV does.

Because other companies buy into the PAC-12 network should not force DirecTV to do the same unless they see massive customer losses which apparently DirecTV isn't seeing.

As I said in a previous page, I am not interested in seeing anymore expensive sports channels added unless I can have the choice to buy or not buy it.

If that means DirecTV is alone...I applaud them for it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • damondlt and pdxBeav like this

#1291 OFFLINE   Caliking

Caliking

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

been a member for 13 years now.  about to leave as i see no end in sight...might give it through July....i like direcv a lot but i like sports more.

#1292 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

You won't find more sports elsewhere, just some PAC-12 games will be missing. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1293 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

You won't find more sports elsewhere, just some PAC-12 games will be missing.

Sitting in the condo on Maui watching Oceanic Time Warner and in addition to getting Four of the seven PAC 12 channels in full-time HD and Fox Soccer + in full-time HD, the Red Zone Channel, full time HD Oahu Surfing Channel, and every other sports channel that is on D* other than a few RSNs, I would beg to differ with your comment.
This proves my point, that D* can no longer claim to be the sports leader. I haven't missed ANYTHING I couldn't see on my D* system on the mainland.

#1294 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Sitting in the condo on Maui watching Oceanic Time Warner and in addition to getting Four of the seven PAC 12 channels in full-time HD and Fox Soccer + in full-time HD, the Red Zone Channel, full time HD Oahu Surfing Channel, and every other sports channel that is on D* other than a few RSNs, I would beg to differ with your comment.
This proves my point, that D* can no longer claim to be the sports leader. I haven't missed ANYTHING I couldn't see on my D* system on the mainland.

And how many CI or LP games in HD on Oceanic TW? How's ST? What about the golf and tennis majors coverage? You might not miss ANYTHING, but others might. Each has tradeoffs.

Who's the leader, then?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1295 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

And how many CI or LP games in HD on Oceanic TW? How's ST? What about the golf and tennis majors coverage? You might not miss ANYTHING, but others might. Each has tradeoffs.

Who's the leader, then?

Do they have the BIG TEN ALT's IN HD?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1296 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Why are you in a condo watching TV if you are in Maui I ask! 

• TJNash likes this

#1297 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Directv Does Yep, And tons of other Alternate RSN's in HD that Dish could only Dream of

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#1298 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

When you have More sports coverage then anyone that makes you a sports leader.

Think of the 9 million sports fans that live in NY city alone, you honestly think they give a crap about PAC12?
DISH can't even provide customers with pro sports in a third of the country, that's LAME!

At least the coble providers can cover their grounds.
Maybe dish should just be available on the west coast!
  • scoop8 likes this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#1299 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Do they have the BIG TEN ALT's IN HD?

a

DIRECTV has had these since they had the big ten channel in Hi Definition.

#1300 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

a

DIRECTV has had these since they had the big ten channel in Hi Definition.

was asking about the cable system that he is talking about.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...