Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1990 replies to this topic

#1751 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

The feud rages on...http://www.sltrib.co...rk-sec.html.csp

The article states:

Here’s P12N’s latest inflammatory statement about the DirecTV situation:

"DirecTV is treating you unfairly. More than 60 TV providers carry Pac-12 Networks, and we’ve offered DIRECTV the same fair deal. But DIRECTV continues to ignore their customers and Pac-12 fans. They said ‘yes’ to the SEC Network, Big Ten Network, and dozens of other sports networks and ‘no’ to Pac-12 Networks. They have offered up many excuses, but the reality is that they are depriving so many customers of great content."

As a negotiating ploy, that has clearly failed. Maybe it reflects frustration, but if so it’s not particularly professional.

And if anyone has any doubts about that, questioning the source or whatever, just check that link to the Pac 12 Network site I posted a little while ago. That statement in the article is taken directly from the Pac 12 Network's Directv Answers section on their site.
  • jw_rally likes this

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1752 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,106 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Still saying nothing in this post.

Your failure to read is not my problem. We know that DirecTV is not carrying Pac-12 because they have not reached a deal to carry Pac-12. We know DirecTV wants a better deal than they have been offered. We know Pac-12 has made deals with other providers. Pac-12 isn't Sportsnet LA making deals with practically no one. Neither is DirecTV.

I don't know why there is such a push to figure out the exact deal that DirecTV is not accepting. Does it really matter if it is $1.00 in market and 10c out of market or $1 flat rate? Whatever the offer is, DirecTV isn't buying. Others are. So goes life.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1753 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I don't know why there is such a push to figure out the exact deal that DirecTV is not accepting. Does it really matter if it is $1.00 in market and 10c out of market or $1 flat rate? Whatever the offer is, DirecTV isn't buying. Others are. So goes life.

Then if you don't care WHY, why do you continue to argue the WHY? Some of us like to understand the underlying reasons rather than just the surface. You know, like understanding gravity and planetary orbits rather than writing it off to the sun god and his ilk.

Why do we even have a forum if we don't try to understand and discuss. Let's just limit ourselves to never talking about anything beyond stale technical details.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1754 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,106 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Understanding comes from truth.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1755 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,263 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

That's true. And with that should be the realization that why is what will determine how you formulate your opinion on the entire issue. Without understanding you can't have as good of a fact based opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1756 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Perhaps I missed a post (or many posts) on this, but in the "1 price nationwide for DISH" dispute, does it matter that in market, PAC12 is included at a certain programming level and out of market it can be bought (kind of) ala carte by the customer getting the sports pack?  Is this still true for DISH? 

To me, that's a big deal.  The fact that out of market customers aren't "forced" to pay for the channel is a big deal.  It sounds like PAC12 wants their channel to be nationwide on DIRECTV.  Isn't that a materially different deal if DISH is allowed to have the channel on sports pack out of market and included in packages of a certain level in market? 

I'd be in market (Colorado, not that I follow the Buffs) if DIRECTV were to carry PAC12, and I'd be happy to have it, but I still don't feel like I'm really missing anything. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#1757 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,106 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Perhaps I missed a post (or many posts) on this, but in the "1 price nationwide for DISH" dispute, does it matter that in market, PAC12 is included at a certain programming level and out of market it can be bought (kind of) ala carte by the customer getting the sports pack?  Is this still true for DISH?

It is true that Pac-12 and Big-10 are delivered in AT120+ or above in their respective market and are only available in the $11 sports package out-of-market. I believe that matters (and have been saying that since DISH added Pac-12 two years ago). If Pac-12 wants the same delivery as Big-10 they are getting it on DISH. If Pac-12 wants the same delivery as Big-10 on DirecTV, Pac-12 would need to be in Choice nationwide (with DirecTV paying whatever rate Pac-12 charges out-of-market).

To me, that's a big deal.  The fact that out of market customers aren't "forced" to pay for the channel is a big deal.  It sounds like PAC12 wants their channel to be nationwide on DIRECTV.  Isn't that a materially different deal if DISH is allowed to have the channel on sports pack out of market and included in packages of a certain level in market?

That is why I like to phrase it as "the same delivery as Big-10". I believe most cable systems that carry Big-10 or Pac-12 also provide it in a core package in-market and a higher level or sports add on out-of-market.

SEC is a game changer as they are delivered nationally regardless of market ... but evidently the price (and being able to keep other ABC/ESPN/Disney programming) makes it worth carrying nationwide.

#1758 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

We're getting closer to Pac 12 caving in to DirecTV.

#1759 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

We're getting closer to Pac 12 caving in to DirecTV.

What makes you say that?

gut feeling? or 'inside' information?

• BlackDynamite likes this

#1760 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

It is true that Pac-12 and Big-10 are delivered in AT120+ or above in their respective market and are only available in the $11 sports package out-of-market. I believe that matters (and have been saying that since DISH added Pac-12 two years ago). If Pac-12 wants the same delivery as Big-10 they are getting it on DISH. If Pac-12 wants the same delivery as Big-10 on DirecTV, Pac-12 would need to be in Choice nationwide (with DirecTV paying whatever rate Pac-12 charges out-of-market).That is why I like to phrase it as "the same delivery as Big-10". I believe most cable systems that carry Big-10 or Pac-12 also provide it in a core package in-market and a higher level or sports add on out-of-market.SEC is a game changer as they are delivered nationally regardless of market ... but evidently the price (and being able to keep other ABC/ESPN/Disney programming) makes it worth carrying nationwide.

At least around here, SEC is delivered at the same levels as BTN. Not sure why you say game changer. Fios, for example, delivers BTN in HD but not SEC out of footprint.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1761 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,106 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

At least around here, SEC is delivered at the same levels as BTN. Not sure why you say game changer. Fios, for example, delivers BTN in HD but not SEC out of footprint.

DISH delivered Pac-12 "game only" HD until a few weeks ago (Big-10 was DISH's only 24/7 HD RSN). Some delivery is more important than HD delivery.

The "game changer" of SEC is Pac-12 latching on to SEC-ESPN as the network Pac-12 wants to be - Demanding the same delivery as SEC-ESPN Network. There are signs in their latest statements that they feel they should be treated like SEC-ESPN ... including the negative comments toward DirecTV for adding SEC and not Pac-12 noting SEC's parent company's leverage. While "carry us like SEC" vs "carry us like BTN" isn't different on DirecTV it gives them another network to point to. When Longhorn is added nationally we will probably see more outcry from Pac-12 that they are being treated unfairly. Every RSN that gets national carriage is one more reason why Pac-12 would want national carriage.

#1762 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

DISH delivered Pac-12 "game only" HD until a few weeks ago (Big-10 was DISH's only 24/7 HD RSN). Some delivery is more important than HD delivery.

The "game changer" of SEC is Pac-12 latching on to SEC-ESPN as the network Pac-12 wants to be - Demanding the same delivery as SEC-ESPN Network. There are signs in their latest statements that they feel they should be treated like SEC-ESPN ... including the negative comments toward DirecTV for adding SEC and not Pac-12 noting SEC's parent company's leverage. While "carry us like SEC" vs "carry us like BTN" isn't different on DirecTV it gives them another network to point to. When Longhorn is added nationally we will probably see more outcry from Pac-12 that they are being treated unfairly. Every RSN that gets national carriage is one more reason why Pac-12 would want national carriage.

It's 2014.  Unless it is delivered in HD, any sports related programming is dead in the water.  So, in this context, "any" delivery is not more important than HD delivery.

If the Pac 12 wants the SEC deal, it would be advisable to get into bed with ESPN.  The Pac 12 does not nearly have the clout to strike such an SEC Network type deal on its own.

Edited by TJNash, 27 August 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#1763 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

So his statement wasn't off in regards to DirecTV?

He wasn't showing malice or ill-will, he was just stating what pretty much a lot of people believes is true.

#1764 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Larry Scott was on 95.7 The Game in SF today and this issue was discussed. He was asked "will we see DirecTV and Pac12 Networks work out a deal in our lifetime" He laughed and said yes. His comments after were more telling though, he said once "their purchase is done I think we'll see everything worked out." I could see this being true for a couple of reasons. First we know ATT and Pac12 have a pretty good sponsorship relationship and I am sure that will come into play. Secondly, just a guess here but with the purchase coming up DirecTV is in a "holding pattern" on new networks unless they already have deals in place with their ownership (ESPN/SEC). 

On another note, late today it was announced that Xfinity would now allow their customers to authenticate using the Pac12 app and they don't have to use the Xfinity app to watch Pac12 Network(s).  

#1765 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,106 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

DirecTV's "holding pattern" is awaiting the arrival of their new satellites - not AT&T related.
DirecTV has made it clear that they are operating "business as usual" until the deal is consumed next year.
AT&T has made it clear that there would not be wholesale changes after they take control.

I don't blame Mr Scott for being optimistic. He apparently doesn't like the people he is dealing with and he thinks that somehow there will be different people to deal with next year. New ownership will bring new oversight. But ownership by AT&T is no guarantee that Pac-12's pricing will be any more acceptable to DirecTV in 2015 than it has been since 2012.

#1766 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

I don't blame Mr Scott for being optimistic. He apparently doesn't like the people he is dealing with and he thinks that somehow there will be different people to deal with next year. New ownership will bring new oversight. But ownership by AT&T is no guarantee that Pac-12's pricing will be any more acceptable to DirecTV in 2015 than it has been since 2012.

I'd bet dollars to donuts (1940 donuts) that the feeling is mutual. And Scott being replaced also doesn't guarantee Pac-12 will change their demands. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1767 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,842 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

If they note "the parent company's leverage" that's tacitly admitting their "go it alone" strategy isn't as wonderful as Scott has claimed it to be. That's what they gave up by maintaining 100% ownership. BTN and SECN were willing to give up half ownership, in exchange for gaining that leverage. That's one of the big reasons why they've got better coverage than Pac 12.

No matter how much Pac 12 may "demand" equal treatment, they can't have it both ways and expect equal treatment while having no leverage to enforce it.

When renewal time comes along for BTN, they'll likely demand a fairly significant bump in rates (the WSJ expects a near doubling) and basic package coverage in the "new" B1G regions in the NJ/NYC area and Maryland/DC area. If they were going it alone, they probably wouldn't get it. But they have Fox conducting those negotiations, and Fox can hold FS1 (for whatever that's worth) FNC (which is probably worth more than FS1) and in the NYC area YES hostage to guarantee their BTN demands are met.

When renewal time comes along for Pac 12, if they raise rates or want to change terms to increase carriage, some providers might say no. Pac 12 has only the threat of losing that one channel, and if providers think the rate increase is too much and take them off the air. They won't be risking losing other stuff that many customers would value more highly than a conference network, such as FNC, YES or the big dog ESPN.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#1768 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

There are only three facts that matter:

1) Tonight is the beginning of the third season of PAC12 Football on the PAC12 Net

2) The games aren't on DirecTV

3) Just about EVERY other carrier with a some sort of a National footprint carry the channel(s)

Everything else written here and elsewhere:  pure speculation

• mhking likes this

#1769 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

There are only three facts that matter:

1) Tonight is the beginning of the third season of PAC12 Football on the PAC12 Net

2) The games aren't on DirecTV

3) Just about EVERY other carrier with a some sort of a National footprint carry the channel(s)

Everything else written here and elsewhere:  pure speculation

3 is a fallacy. I cannot get PAC12 here on any carrier other than Dish. Comcast does not carry PAC 12 here. Just because Comcast carries the channel and is a national provider, does not mean the channel is available nationally.

• boukengreen and TJNash like this

#1770 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Banned User
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

Larry Scott was on 95.7 The Game in SF today and this issue was discussed. He was asked "will we see DirecTV and Pac12 Networks work out a deal in our lifetime" He laughed and said yes. His comments after were more telling though, he said once "their purchase is done I think we'll see everything worked out." I could see this being true for a couple of reasons. First we know ATT and Pac12 have a pretty good sponsorship relationship and I am sure that will come into play. Secondly, just a guess here but with the purchase coming up DirecTV is in a "holding pattern" on new networks unless they already have deals in place with their ownership (ESPN/SEC). 

On another note, late today it was announced that Xfinity would now allow their customers to authenticate using the Pac12 app and they don't have to use the Xfinity app to watch Pac12 Network(s).  

Reminds me of the articles about Samsung and Apple lawsuits but then reading about Samsung getting more sales to Apple at the same time. Different parts of the companies have different goals and don't always agree on things.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1771 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

No they're not. Now please delete that post before the word gets out, lol

#1772 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

No they're not. Now please delete that post before the word gets out, lol

Okay, I did.  Hopefully they don't catch on.  

• BlackDynamite likes this
It's only tv!

#1773 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Holy Cow! This is a bit complicated! 

From the Pac-12 Networks' site:

In week 2, Pac-12 Networks will televise Fresno State at UtahEastern Washington at Washington and Sacramento State at Cal games at 12:00 p.m. PT. The Utah game will be carried on Pac-12 Mountain, Pac-12 Arizona and Pac-12 Network (national feed). The Washington game will be available on Pac-12 Washington and Pac-12 Oregon, while Cal-Sacramento State will be available on Pac-12 Bay Area and Pac-12 Los Angeles.

DISH will offer the UW-Eastern Washington game on channel 406.3 for Hoppers and 593 for non-Hoppers, while AT&T U-verse will have the UW game on channels 763 (SD) and 1763 (HD). For Cal-Sacramento State, DISH will offer the game on 406-02 on the Hopper and 592 for non-Hoppers. AT&T U-verse already makes Pac-12 Bay Area and Pac-12 Los Angeles available to all of their subscribers so they do not need an additional channel for the Cal game. 

In addition, Comcast will make the Fresno State-Utah game available to all of their subscribers throughout Northern California on the Comcast Hometown Network, which is channel 104 in most areas.  

And of the eleven games this week, four are carried by Pac-12, but the better games are all available elsewhere. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1774 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

After Arizona's great comeback and finish, don't tell me that the PAC 12 Net doesn't carry the best games.
Thanks for nothing D*!!

#1775 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,273 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Even if it was on DirecTV, two-thirds of the country was asleep before Arizona showed up to play. Besides that, it does not compare to Florida State over Clemson in overtime, Mississippi State over LSU in Baton Rouge, or Alabama over Florida. There were many great games on DirecTV, and they all started by 8:00 PM in the east.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...