Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1768 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

RE: the games on Pac12 Network....a couple of the games already picked could be big games.  I'd suggest you read up on David Fales the QB at SJSU. Might possibly the best QB in the country, yet most people haven't heard of him. Has been mentioned as a top 5-10 pick in the NFL draft and possibly the most NFL ready QB this year. 

This paragraph caught my eye, so I looked up San Jose State's schedule. The first game on TV, vs. Stanford, is indeed scheduled for Pac12. The seven other games are on CBS, ESPN, Root, etc. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Pretty much agree with the rest of your post. If I were a Pac 12 alumnus who was on the (for instance) soccer team, I would seek out those games. But as I am not, and have just a passing interest in World Cup and Premier League, and so I don't qualify as a "real fan" of Pac12. Big games (not referencing Cal-Stanford), yes, the rest, not so much. 

#143 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

People just don't sit in front of the tv as much on the west coast as in some of those SEC states. It's easy to see why with beaches, pro sports teams, mountains, lakes, etc What is there to do in the South? Again, Misssissipi State fans outnumbered UCLA fans in the college world series from like 10,000:1. There's way more people in the Southern California region than Starkville, MS.

#144 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

It is not so much the South as it is the SEC.  Most of the ACC schools are also in the south, but you will never find as many ACC fans who are willing to travel as there are SEC fans who travel.  When the ACC basketball tournament was in Atlanta, they could not even fill Phillips Arena.  When the SEC  basketball tournament is in Atlanta, they have it in the Georgia Dome, because Phillips Arena is too small.  Kentucky alone will have more fans than the entire ACC can draw. 

#145 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

It is not so much the South as it is the SEC.  Most of the ACC schools are also in the south, but you will never find as many ACC fans who are willing to travel as there are SEC fans who travel.  When the ACC basketball tournament was in Atlanta, they could not even fill Phillips Arena.  When the SEC  basketball tournament is in Atlanta, they have it in the Georgia Dome, because Phillips Arena is too small.  Kentucky alone will have more fans than the entire ACC can draw.

All games in Phillips were sell outs. And the acc has been in the Georgia Dome as well. Basketball doesn't show SEC versus ACC strength. Football (again, the sport that truly matters financially) does.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#146 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

All games in Phillips were sell outs. And the acc has been in the Georgia Dome as well. Basketball doesn't show SEC versus ACC strength. Football (again, the sport that truly matters financially) does.

I agree with you that Football is the SEC strength, but even though basketball is a minor sport in the SEC, the SEC teams still have more fans who are willing to travel than the ACC does.  They had to move the ACC football championship to Charlotte because they could not get fans to go to Florida, even though the stadium and weather were better in Florida. They have a long-term committment to keep the ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro because they draw more fans there than they did in Atlanta.  The four North Carolina schools in the ACC in particular are constantly complaining about how far away their teams are sent for first round NCAA tournament games.  If the fans have to travel farther than Charlotte, they do not go to the games.

In football, all you have to do is look at which team has the most fans at the Chick-Fil-A (SEC # 5 vs ACC #2) and Music City (SEC # 7 vs ACC #6) Bowls to see which league travels better. It is always at least 80% from the SEC team.

When Louisville joins the ACC, they will buck the trend.  I am looking forward to Coach K and Ole Roy having to play in the Yum! Center.

#147 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I used the lack of PAC 12 network to get NFL Ticket free.  "Why do you want to cancel?"   I am a big PAC 12 fan and you guys don't have the PAC 12 network. "I can give you NFL Sunday Ticket free"  ok   

But I am also a Raiders fan, so I think I rather have the PAC 12 network.  

Edited by Rob, 20 July 2013 - 07:01 PM.

It's only tv!

#148 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I used the lack of PAC 12 network to get NFL Ticket free.  "Why do you want to cancel?"   I am a big PAC 12 fan and you guys don't have the PAC 12 network. "I can give you NFL Sunday Ticket free"  ok   

But I am also a Raiders fan, so I think I rather have the PAC 12 network.  

Arent most Raiders games on free TV in LA anyway?

Edited by tjguitar, 21 July 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#149 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Arent most Raiders games on free TV in LA anyway?

No, mainly because L.A. is in Chargers territory (so all Chargers away games, at least, are shown here).

Other factors are the fact that the Raiders haven't been doing particularly well the past decade or so, and that it's been 18 years since they moved back to Oakland.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#150 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Still nothing new on this front.  I'd suggest bailing out and going with a better TV provider that actually gives its customers what they want and doesn't lie and call themselves "the sports leader" when they refuse to give an entire region their full slate of football games.

#151 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Still nothing new on this front.  I'd suggest bailing out and going with a better TV provider that actually gives its customers what they want and doesn't lie and call themselves "the sports leader" when they refuse to give an entire region their full slate of football games.

I'll ask you again ... If DirecTV isn't the sports leader, then who is?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#152 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Interesting because I see this as DIRECTV drawing a line in the sand on the huge carriage fees sports channels want.  You make it seem as if this is some agenda to not provide subscribers with what they want.  

This isn't about being the sports leader or giving the subs what they want.  This is about the money; the carriage fees and the those fees are on the verge of breaking the bank.

You may not want like it but, it seems to me the PAC-12 networks came into this at the wrong time.  A time when all the sports channels want to be ESPN and the providers can afford it anymore.  The only way it to pass some of the cost on to everyone.

The sports channel carriage fees are out of hand.  Sooner or later it had to happen and it's just bad luck that it happened to be PAC-12.

Mike

• pdxBeav likes this

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#153 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

If the Pac-12 schools were located in the Eastern tiem zone, the channels would have been added a long time ago. It's really as simple as that. There isn't a true sports leader anymore because NOBODY carries all the channels. It's sad.

#154 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm sorry bit that's not all true IMHO. Time zone has nothin to do with it.

#155 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

#156 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Interesting because I see this as DIRECTV drawing a line in the sand on the huge carriage fees sports channels want.  You make it seem as if this is some agenda to not provide subscribers with what they want.  

This isn't about being the sports leader or giving the subs what they want.  This is about the money; the carriage fees and the those fees are on the verge of breaking the bank.

You may not want like it but, it seems to me the PAC-12 networks came into this at the wrong time.  A time when all the sports channels want to be ESPN and the providers can afford it anymore.  The only way it to pass some of the cost on to everyone.

The sports channel carriage fees are out of hand.  Sooner or later it had to happen and it's just bad luck that it happened to be PAC-12.

Mike

also the same thing seems to be true new RSN's like CSN Houston High cost RSN with an really big MLB Team zone. Directv likey wanted to put some of the other areas into sports pack like how they do it for some others RSN's outer rings. Maybe in the past it would of been added.

CSN Philly and NW where the old hold outs.  CSN Philly may of been open to Dish and directv years ago (be for the courts got in) but at an very price.  and NW was high price for an 1 team RSN.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#157 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

If the Pac-12 schools were located in the Eastern tiem zone, the channels would have been added a long time ago. It's really as simple as that. There isn't a true sports leader anymore because NOBODY carries all the channels. It's sad.

One doesn't have to have all the marbles to be at the top of the heap. Yes, it'd be nice if DIRECTV® had every single sporting event available as well as keeping prices down a bit....

#158 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Interesting...theory?

If I understand you correctly, you believe DIRECTV has some policy or bias that restricts adding sports (college sports?) channels if they're not in the Eastern Time zone. Can you provide some basis for this assertion?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#159 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Interesting...theory?

If I understand you correctly, you believe DIRECTV has some policy or bias that restricts adding sports (college sports?) channels if they're not in the Eastern Time zone. Can you provide some basis for this assertion?

Mike

There is some truth to this, but I do not think it is just the Eastern zone.  The Eastern and Central zones have a distinct advantage in terms of the number of potential viewers.  It is not a bias towards the schools in the East as much as it is a bias towards the time of day the games are being played and the number of people who live in the Eastern + Central zones compared to the Mountain + Pacific zones.  More people can watch games that are in the Eastern and Central time zones than can watch games in the Pacific time zone, and there is not much in the Mountain time zone.  If you look at the potential number of viewers conference-by-conference, the conferences with most of their teams in the Eastern or Central time zones (SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc)  are going to generate more total viewers nation wide than any conference in the Mountain or Pacific time zones will.  Very few people in the East will watch a game that does not even start until 11:00 PM.

Now, if you are only looking at regional viewerships, then the PAC 12 should stand up well compared to any of the conferences in the Eastern or Central time zones, but DirecTV is a national provider.  On a national basis, there is no PAC matchup that could come close to the number of viewers that a Michigan/Ohio State or a Alabama/Georgia game could generate.  The highest nation-wide interest for PAC 12 games are for the non-conference matchups (Notre Dame/USC or Notre Dame/Stanford).

#160 OFFLINE   glrush

glrush

Cool Member/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

There was a post on ESPN.com yesterday quoting the PAC-12 comish saying that there would be some info today. The comment is toward the bottom.

http://espn.go.com/b...ner-larry-scott

Glenn

spam firewall