Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1990 replies to this topic

#1976 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

I am guessing that they'd gain more money actually. I think most people would subscribe to the sports pack. Over 80% is my guess.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1977 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Then you guys know more than DIRECTV®, Dish and a myriad of other providers. No disrespect, but I don't think so. Not today, not tomorrow. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1978 OFFLINE   Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

I understand statistics and numbers can be manipulated to prove a point, but in looking at the 2014 ratings, it seems to me the SEC and Big 10, when on ESPN or national networks draw much bigger numbers than PAC 12. Maybe the conference is overstating the value of it's product. 

College Football TV Ratings - Sports Media Watch

#1979 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

Then you guys know more than DIRECTV, Dish and a myriad of other providers. No disrespect, but I don't think so. Not today, not tomorrow.

There is a big difference between putting all sports in one package than there is a la cart which is what everyone is screaming for that would be a disaster.

#1980 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

There is a big difference between putting all sports in one package than there is a la cart which is what everyone is screaming for that would be a disaster.

Of course. Don't know why you needed to post that, but it still begs the question: Why is nobody doing it if it benefits everyone?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1981 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

It's nearly impossible to have all sports contracts end on the same day to get all of them to that kind of format because no one would be willing to be the first on its own.

#1982 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

It's nearly impossible to have all sports contracts end on the same day to get all of them to that kind of format because no one would be willing to be the first on its own.

That, and fear of change on both sides has prevented it so far. Something that creates even more fear than that unknown is needed to overcome it - which will happen when non-sports viewers start cutting the cord in significant enough numbers that it becomes a big issue for providers and causes revenue to drop below budget projections for ESPN, conference networks, and RSNs. That is when they'll start thinking about and trying new models.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#1983 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

"All sports in one package" separate from other channels is a non-starter.
"All sports in the lowest package" is more likely.

Sports channels have drawn the line ... they will NOT be sold separately. If a carrier attempts to sell sports channels separately the sports channel refuse carriage completely. The exception would be out of market ... most channels accept a "sports package" placement outside of their primary market. But for national channels the primary market is all subscribers - and channels refuse to be sold separately.

Sports channels are not bluffing about this. They want their channels on the system delivered to as many subscribers as possible. They would rather not be carried than not be in a regular channel package in their market.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1984 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

"How will playing cards help?"

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

I see it as DIRECTV drawing the line. The days of everybody and their brother coming up with new channels just to get high carriage fees from everyone with a TV need to stop.

Sports channels have drawn the line ... they will NOT be sold separately. If a carrier attempts to sell sports channels separately the sports channel refuse carriage completely. The exception would be out of market ... most channels accept a "sports package" placement outside of their primary market. But for national channels the primary market is all subscribers - and channels refuse to be sold separately.

Sports channels are not bluffing about this. They want their channels on the system delivered to as many subscribers as possible. They would rather not be carried than not be in a regular channel package in their market.

• Coachbulldog likes this

#1985 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

If they really all start offering a la cart streaming options then eventually we will see all sports only packages. It may seem backwards that way but that's what it will take. With streaming pushing the price up and then the mass packages being less expensive will bring people to it.

That is the only way we will ever see more smaller packages rather than tiers.

#1986 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

I see streaming as going two ways ... (1) providers selling their own content direct to the consumer or (2) providers selling their content in tiers through a third party. The first is common now - CBS is a good example of selling one's own stuff. The second is coming in the form of DISH's streaming package and other carriers. The ABC/ESPN/Disney channels being one of the anchor stores in the mall of DISH streaming.

Theoretically I agree with you that there will be "all sports" streaming packages. But they will be one provider services. ESPN has committed to the mass market/tiered system with ESPN 3 for the most part only available via ISPs and the rest of their streaming only available with a cable/satellite subscription. In both cases their streaming is being sold to millions of customers - whether they want the service or not - just like tiered satellite and cable.

A sports provider selling just their content is possible. But a package with a variety of sports channels such as the ESPNs, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, in-market RSNs, etc. and NO non-sports channels? I would not hold my breath.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1987 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

Well what I'm thinking is that the catch is all major sports aren't on just sports channels. They all also have big games on other networks too. Either the big locals or tbs and tnt and so forth. So they'd get you to get both because of that.

#1988 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

That brings us back to "all sports in one package" separate from other channels being a non-starter.
Perhaps for different reasons, but "all sports in one package" seems to only be viable in wishful thinking. :)

#1989 OFFLINE   Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I see it as DIRECTV drawing the line. The days of everybody and their brother coming up with new channels just to get high carriage fees from everyone with a TV need to stop.

I've changed my view of the Directv-Pac12 Network stalemate, and I now see it from this perspective. No doubt the Pac12 is a major conference with fan bases in large media markets. But honestly, the conference doesn't have a national attraction like some of the other conferences and, while the other conference networks that are available on Directv are partnered with networks like ESPN, the Pac12 is going it alone for the reason you stated above, to have all the carriage fees to themselves. I live in the west and, as much as I would like to be able to have Pac12 network, I have no problem with Directv playing hardball with them.

That brings us back to "all sports in one package" separate from other channels being a non-starter.
Perhaps for different reasons, but "all sports in one package" seems to only be viable in wishful thinking. :)

Consumers who believe a "all sports in one package" will solve the issues discussed in this thread are only thinking about the "major" channels like ESPN, MLB-NHL-NBA-NFL Networks, FOX Sports, and NBC Sports Network. But there are many more "minor" sports networks like Golf Channel that aren't talked about and then there are all the regional channels like ROOT Sports, CSN Networks, SNY, YES, etc... It would become a complicated mess.

#1990 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

Well if you have sirius/XM you could listen to the pac 12 on there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1991 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

Even though we are shut out from seeing the PAC 12 Net's coverage of the MBB Tournament opening round on Wednesday (3/11), Thursday's Quarterfinals (except the Utah game which is on ESPN) will be open to all via a free stream on The Net's website and also available on its app.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...