Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

#1621 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:48 AM

Wait, there's a slingplayer on Roku right?

There is but it requires an iOS or Android device with the SlingPlayer mobile app installed to utilize this. The most recent update to the mobile app provides full hand-off to the Roku so you can send the video to the Roku from the mobile app and close the app if you want (previously it required the mobile app running at all times while utilizing Roku). You can't control or change channels with the Roku remote you must use the SlingPlayer app on the mobile device for this. The SlingPlayer app for mobile devices is a one time $14.99 fee, but no additional fee for the SlingPlayer channel you add to the Roku.

http://support.sling.com/KB/KB-2000582

http://www.sling.com...playerApps.aspx

• BlackDynamite likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1622 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

So is the Pac-12 Net really asking DirecTV for a lot more money than the SEC Net got.....? 

#1623 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,274 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Most likely, yes. At least more money per subscriber who'll actually watch the channel. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1624 OFFLINE   jw_rally

jw_rally

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

I am just repeating what I have heard or read.

SEC: $1.40 per subscriber in SEC states; $0.25 per subscriber outside of SEC states

Pac-12: $0.80 per subscriber in Pac-12 states, and $0.80 per subscriber outside of Pac-12 states

Along with the pricing model differences, SEC fans have been VERY vocal about switching providers if the SEC Network was not picked up. There was nowhere near the outcry from Pac-12 fans.

And, of course, the leverage the SEC Network has with the ABC/Disney affiliation plays a lot into this.

Larry Scott is now (and has been for awhile) using the tactic of insulting DirecTV. Of course it is always wise to use insults while you are pursuing a business deal.

Edited by jw_rally, 14 August 2014 - 09:21 AM.

• pdxBeav and Laxguy like this

#1625 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Directv has a different situation than other providers as far as the impact of not carrying Pac 12 Network. They have NFLST, and there are a lot of people in Pac 12 states that are more into pro sports than college, so given a choice between getting Pac 12 Network and losing NFLST, or forgoing Pac 12 Network and keeping NFLST, they choose the latter. The hold NFLST has on those subscribers limits how many subscribers Directv loses over not carrying Pac 12 Network, and makes that network less valuable to Directv than it might be other providers. Not to mention, at this point Directv has lost all the subscribers they're going to lose over not carrying Pac 12 Network since it has been a couple years now.

If Directv hadn't carried SEC Network, they'd lose a lot more subscribers because fans in the south are much more likely to be about college sports first, and pro second, so they'd be a lot more likely to drop Directv and give up NFLST. But similarly, if Directv went a year or two without carrying SEC Network, they'd have lost all the subscribers they were going to lose over it, and would feel it is less valuable to them at that point.

Edited by slice1900, 14 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#1626 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Lot of assumptions, but the fact is nobody here knows for sure.  Does anyone know the details of what P12 gets from DISH?  Because I'm sure it's almost identical to what they're asking from DTV.  The added stadium advertising deal being the only tangible difference.

#1627 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

at this point Directv has lost all the subscribers they're going to lose over not carrying Pac 12 Network since it has been a couple years now.

This gets brought up a lot as an absolute, but is very much not true.  Many of us signed two year deals when the outlook was "good" two years ago and are just know going end of contract.  And I know several people (myself included) that subscribe to a second provider solely for P12 Nets.  But belts are always tightening, and one of those two services will eventually be going.  And it won't be one that carries the P12 nets.  

#1628 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Lot of assumptions, but the fact is nobody here knows for sure.  Does anyone know the details of what P12 gets from DISH?  Because I'm sure it's almost identical to what they're asking from DTV.  The added stadium advertising deal being the only tangible difference.

Which could be a very large difference financially and could be even greater if the signage is set up for maximum camera exposure on Pac-12 Network games.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1629 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Even if the stadium stuff is fully accounted for, i.e., the two deals are the same financially (unlikely!) but if they were, it still doesn't mean that it's a good deal for DIRECTV® and its customers. (except the fervent Pac-12 fans).

#1630 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

This gets brought up a lot as an absolute, but is very much not true.  Many of us signed two year deals when the outlook was "good" two years ago and are just know going end of contract.  And I know several people (myself included) that subscribe to a second provider solely for P12 Nets.  But belts are always tightening, and one of those two services will eventually be going.  And it won't be one that carries the P12 nets.  

Oh sure there will indeed be some late departs over the P12 network like yourself. And perhaps slice could have tempered his statement more with maybe something like " ... at this point Directv has 'pretty much' lost all the subscribers they're going to lose over not carrying Pac 12 Network ... "

But I think slice's point is still essentially correct here, at least as far as DIRECTV sees it.

At this time DIRECTV likely feels if any mass exodus over the P12 hasn't happened already, it's highly improbable to happen at this late point.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#1631 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

SEC: $1.40 per subscriber in SEC states; $0.25 per subscriber outside of SEC states

Pac-12: $0.80 per subscriber in Pac-12 states, and $0.80 per subscriber outside of Pac-12 states

That's an interesting price strategy for SEC. But I thought DirecTV, with its national footprint, could not charge different rates to customers in different geographies for the same channel. I know it's different with Cable, since they have local systems and and have the ability to tailor the programming a little closer to local interests.

#1632 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I believe both Dish and DIRECTV have long differentiated sports markets as to pricing based on locale. 

#1633 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

That's an interesting price strategy for SEC. But I thought DirecTV, with its national footprint, could not charge different rates to customers in different geographies for the same channel. I know it's different with Cable, since they have local systems and and have the ability to tailor the programming a little closer to local interests.

They don't charge the customer differently. it is the cost to DirecTV that is being posted.  RSNs charge DirecTV differently for in market than for Sports Pack. BTN is different in market versus out of market.

Except for a la carte channels (HBO and the premiums, the Dog channel, etc.), DirecTV does not charge per channel to the subscriber. They have started to charge a varying RSN fee to different locations but that is for different channels.

BTW, nothing stops them from charging different amounts in different places. It is their choice to keep prices equal across the country.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1634 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Interesting. I always assumed that Pac-12 was cheaper out of footprint but the more articles I pull up I consistently see that they want the same rate across the board.

Can we verify that somehow?

if so, that right there would be the reason that DirecTV has balked. If it is true, then the case is closed on who is at fault. But I want solid evidence not just newspaper columns saying things like what appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune (Scott D. Pierce): "The SEC Network charges one amount per subscriber per month in the states that comprise the league's footprint; it charges less than that in other states. The Pac-12 Network insists on one set fee for all cable/satellite companies. Which is a big reason it's still not on DirecTV."

• pdxBeav likes this

#1635 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Rates according to SB Nation article match what jw_rally posted plus:

BTN: $1.00 in Big Ten stations; $0.37 outside BTN states

#1636 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I would love to see a live camera on Larry Scott right about now....

Wants:
Universal Sports HD
Al Jazeera America HD
  • boukengreen likes this
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#1637 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Wants:
Universal Sports HD
Al Jazeera America HD

same here lol
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#1638 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Wants:
Universal Sports HD
Al Jazeera America HD

Not me. I might throw a brick through my TV...

#1639 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Larry Scott is a moron that should get fired.

To publicly criticize and insult DirecTV the way he has shows how much of a tool he is that lacks any genuine professional skills for a man from his position.

He's only ruining his chances of ever working out a deal with them.

And there's no guarantee the deal goes through after the possible merger with AT&T, as DirecTV will still be ran as their own division, and that merger might not even go through in the first place (it faces an uphill battle).

Larry Scott has no Plan B.  He's simply hoping his long pass on 3rd and 15 will connect for a first down with the AT&T and DirecTV situation.  He has no other plan.

What a smart business man he is.  Not.

#1640 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Interesting. I always assumed that Pac-12 was cheaper out of footprint but the more articles I pull up I consistently see that they want the same rate across the board.

Can we verify that somehow?

if so, that right there would be the reason that DirecTV has balked. If it is true, then the case is closed on who is at fault. But I want solid evidence not just newspaper columns saying things like what appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune (Scott D. Pierce): "The SEC Network charges one amount per subscriber per month in the states that comprise the league's footprint; it charges less than that in other states. The Pac-12 Network insists on one set fee for all cable/satellite companies. Which is a big reason it's still not on DirecTV."

I agree, if that's what the p12nets are asking for, it's too much for out of region customers. My guess is maybe it wouldn't be in the same package for everybody, like Choice level for those in p12 states, and Extra or Sports Pack for the rest. If they really are asking for the same package for all, I would be shocked if these prices are accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...