Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pac-12 Networks confident, even without DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
1713 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

There is some truth to this, but I do not think it is just the Eastern zone.  The Eastern and Central zones have a distinct advantage in terms of the number of potential viewers.  It is not a bias towards the schools in the East as much as it is a bias towards the time of day the games are being played and the number of people who live in the Eastern + Central zones compared to the Mountain + Pacific zones.  More people can watch games that are in the Eastern and Central time zones than can watch games in the Pacific time zone, and there is not much in the Mountain time zone.  If you look at the potential number of viewers conference-by-conference, the conferences with most of their teams in the Eastern or Central time zones (SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc)  are going to generate more total viewers nation wide than any conference in the Mountain or Pacific time zones will.  Very few people in the East will watch a game that does not even start until 11:00 PM.

Now, if you are only looking at regional viewerships, then the PAC 12 should stand up well compared to any of the conferences in the Eastern or Central time zones, but DirecTV is a national provider.  On a national basis, there is no PAC matchup that could come close to the number of viewers that a Michigan/Ohio State or a Alabama/Georgia game could generate.  The highest nation-wide interest for PAC 12 games are for the non-conference matchups (Notre Dame/USC or Notre Dame/Stanford).

Totally agree. I actually made the same point a long time ago. It is not just the following but the game availability nationally in good time slots.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

There was a post on ESPN.com yesterday quoting the PAC-12 comish saying that there would be some info today. The comment is toward the bottom.

http://espn.go.com/b...ner-larry-scott

Glenn

Some of us loathe giving ESPN more internet hits.

Scott basically said that their folks were talking to DirecTV again and would have an update Friday. When asked if that was a "grumpy no," he said he would talk about that tomorrow.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#163 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Bruce Feldman‏@BFeldmanCBS18m
Pac-12 head Larry Scott "urges" fans to "drop DirecTV" ...no deal coming this season.

#164 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

My biggest issue with this is the fact that DirecTV has started charging SF/Oak/SJ customers a $2 surcharge for RSN's.  Nothing locally has changed for "us" still the same 2 RSNs we have had for the last few years with contracts in place.  If DirecTV did add Pac 12 and came back and said they'd have to add the surcharge due to the cost I could understand it more.  But, when you call into DirecTV and their response to customers asking why we are being charged more and they say "That's because of the new TWC Lakers/Dodgers channels."  Well that's all well and good........if I lived in the markets served by those channels.  But those channels are not featured in the Nor Cal market. 

#165 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Jon Wilner  tweets: "(PAC 12 Commissioner) Scott on DirecTV "They're drawing the line in the sand" with #PAC12"

Very distressing and hypocritical of DirecTV to claim to be the sports leader but trying to get a better deal than all the other carriers have agreed to.

Wilner also tweets that the next carrier to sign on to carry the PAC12 Net will be AT&T U-Verse likely to be announced today. . 

#166 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Interesting...theory?

If I understand you correctly, you believe DIRECTV has some policy or bias that restricts adding sports (college sports?) channels if they're not in the Eastern Time zone. Can you provide some basis for this assertion?

Mike

I believe that as a national channel, having the majority of your games start after the majority of the country goes to bed definitely negatively effects the potential.

The fact is that DirecTV wants a cupcake deal like The MTN gave them, but it's not going to happen as long as P12N is profitable with it's distribution as is. The cable companies and Dish obviously see the value of the P12N. Allegedly AT&T is coming on board soon. DirecTV will either cave or they won't. I also think that if it was 1 channel instead of 7 channels that it would already be on DirecTV. The combination of 7 full time channels + low viewership due to time zone is just not a good combination. This is also why you rarely see west coast weeknight games on the MLB Network.

#167 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

PAC12 needs Directv more than Directv needs the PAC12 network.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#168 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

PAC12 needs Directv more than Directv needs the PAC12 network.

I would strongly disagree.  There isn't any talk of the Net folding if it doesn't sign on with DirecTV. And while its true DirecTV isn't going out of business because its doesn't carry the PAC 12 net, it needs this channel to satisfy its loyal sub base in the West. Its must be embarrassing that it doesn't carry the NET that features the two largest Universities in its own backyard.

Edited by sdk009, 26 July 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#169 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

The PAC12 needs Directv to meet it's revenue projections.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#170 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Jon Wilner  tweets: "(PAC 12 Commissioner) Scott on DirecTV "They're drawing the line in the sand" with #PAC12"

Very distressing and hypocritical of DirecTV to claim to be the sports leader but trying to get a better deal than all the other carriers have agreed to.

Wilner also tweets that the next carrier to sign on to carry the PAC12 Net will be AT&T U-Verse likely to be announced today. . 

That's amazing you know what deal DirecTV specifically wanted.

• pdxBeav likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#171 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Why shouldn't DirecTV try to get a better deal. Your statement makes zero sense. I'm in the PAC-12 market and I'm very happy to see DirecTV "draw the line in the sand." The PAC 12 should allow it to be sold stand-alone or part of a sports package.

#172 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

To those touting AT&T agreeing ... You realize there's no way to compare their miniscule 4.3 TV subscribers to DirecTV's 19/20 million. Uverse is very limited and expansion has "virtually over."

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#173 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

A bit more news that just came out.  Comcast/Xfinity is now going to carry Pac12 (probably that Nat'l channel) throughout the Midwest.  Would imagine that Pac 12/Comcast are working to roll it out more nationwide.  Now if Comcast and Dish are carrying the channel in a large part of the country that puts some options out there.  My biggest issue with Comcast currently and the Pac 12 is that they won't enable the Pac12 streaming via iOS devices if you use Comcast.  You have to stream via the Comcast website only.

#174 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

The fact is, all of these other providers agreed with the Pac 12's terms and DirecTV has refused.  It's hopeless for DirecTV to try and get a better deal because all of these other providers have already agreed to the Pac 12's terms, so the conference cannot legally allow DirecTV to pay less.

I sure hope "the sports leader" is happy being the largest TV provider that will never have this channel.  To me, they are a failure and their inability to satisfy me as a customer is very sad after so many good years.

Again, there shouldn't be this animosity toward the Pac 12 and their asking price since all of the other major providers have picked up the network...it's clearly a fair deal and DirecTV doesn't want to pay and doesn't have the capacity to show all 7 channels at once because they hate people on the west coast and are contributing to the destruction of college football by helping all of their subscribers only focus on the SEC.

#175 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

wow so much vitriol.  "failure" "hate" "destruction" lol

hyperbole much?

• scoop8 likes this

#176 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

The fact is, all of these other providers agreed with the Pac 12's terms and DirecTV has refused.  It's hopeless for DirecTV to try and get a better deal because all of these other providers have already agreed to the Pac 12's terms, so the conference cannot legally allow DirecTV to pay less.

I sure hope "the sports leader" is happy being the largest TV provider that will never have this channel.  To me, they are a failure and their inability to satisfy me as a customer is very sad after so many good years.

Again, there shouldn't be this animosity toward the Pac 12 and their asking price since all of the other major providers have picked up the network...it's clearly a fair deal and DirecTV doesn't want to pay and doesn't have the capacity to show all 7 channels at once because they hate people on the west coast and are contributing to the destruction of college football by helping all of their subscribers only focus on the SEC.

The terms/deals aren't the same, though. We know Dish gets advertising in P12 arenas and stadium.

You still keep ignoring a question I've asked repeatedly about who's the sports leader.

#177 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

The terms/deals aren't the same, though. We know Dish gets advertising in P12 arenas and stadium.

You still keep ignoring a question I've asked repeatedly about who's the sports leader.

So Dish may have lower carriage fees in exchange the ad agreement.  If Dish is paying less, but then is forking out money for advertising, the net fee to the average sub is probably the same as it is for subs of all the other carriers. 

There really isn't ANY carrier that can claim to be the sports leader in today's market  None of the national & regional companies carry every sports channel that is available.  

#178 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Wow. OK. LOL!  :grin:

#179 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

A bit more news that just came out.  Comcast/Xfinity is now going to carry Pac12 (probably that Nat'l channel) throughout the Midwest.  Would imagine that Pac 12/Comcast are working to roll it out more nationwide.  Now if Comcast and Dish are carrying the channel in a large part of the country that puts some options out there.  My biggest issue with Comcast currently and the Pac 12 is that they won't enable the Pac12 streaming via iOS devices if you use Comcast.  You have to stream via the Comcast website only.

likely SD only

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#180 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

My biggest issue with this is the fact that DirecTV has started charging SF/Oak/SJ customers a $2 surcharge for RSN's. Nothing locally has changed for "us" still the same 2 RSNs we have had for the last few years with contracts in place. If DirecTV did add Pac 12 and came back and said they'd have to add the surcharge due to the cost I could understand it more. But, when you call into DirecTV and their response to customers asking why we are being charged more and they say "That's because of the new TWC Lakers/Dodgers channels." Well that's all well and good........if I lived in the markets served by those channels. But those channels are not featured in the Nor Cal market.

DIRECTV has added that fee to every market that has more than one RSN. The costs for all rsns keep going up so it makes logical sense because all makers with multiple rsns are going up by twice the rate or more generally id bet.

spam firewall