Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR boot times?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just spent half an hour searching and couldn't find anything.

I see where the HR44 is the fastest ever dvr, but does that apply to just channel changes/guide/menus, or do they boot up faster as well?  My HR22 from 2007 seems to take forever to reboot with a slight power interuption, like 15-20 minutes to reboot and get back to programming.  Has anyone ever ranked the different models as far a boot times after a power outage?

From my searching I did see there you could use a UPS to prevent this from happening, I don't know why I didn't think of that before :bang

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

My old / died HR23 took 11 minutes using the latest software.

My HR24 takes  6 minutes.

Edited by jimmie57, 03 July 2013 - 07:07 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

The faster DVRs (which means the HR44, HR34 and HR24) do indeed boot faster. Some aspects are about the same (like the "acquiring satellite data" step) but the basic load and initialization are much faster.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#4 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have something recording on the DVR so I'm not going to interrupt it, but I unplugged my H24 in the other room and it took 5:30 to reboot completely.  Solid signal says it takes a HR44 around 4 minutes.  When I have a few minutes free, I'll try the HR22

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you are to the point you notice your dvr rebooting its probably much too frequently and obviously during times you are trying to watch tv.  I highly suggest you go the UPS route as your power seems flaky enough to warrant it.  I have UPS's on all my heavily watched stb's and I only have 3-4 power interruptions at my house in an entire year.  I did it just to protect the electronics from getting beat up from sudden power loss.  PC's, DVR's, all can take a beating during power outages and/or brownouts, its very hard on power supplies and hard drives especially when they are in the process of writing at the time.

Edited by CCarncross, 29 June 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

I have one of these on each setup.

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=ups 550

When the power goes off it will power the TV and the AVR and the DTV receiver for about 4 minutes.

When you turn off the TV and the AVR it will keep the DTV receiver running for about 40 minutes.

At least once a week it appears that the power company does some switching. It always happens at 8 am. Just for an instant the UPS will make a click sound and then click again. I put a Kill A Watt meter in the line and I can see that the power has indeed gone out for just an instant. It is so fast that the lights do not go out but it is enough for the DVR to reboot.

Definitely recommend a UPS to each system.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

The HR44-500 First Look has listed boot times for the HR34 and HR44:

http://www.dbstalk.c...hr44-500-genie/

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I have also noticed that with both Genies, a second boot up, meaning if you reset a working Genie, it goes much faster (or skips) the guide data step.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have also noticed that with both Genies, a second boot up, meaning if you reset a working Genie, it goes much faster (or skips) the guide data step.

That's not just Genies.  If any HR didn't flush guide data (2 reboots within 30 minutes) then it boots faster.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

That's not just Genies. If any HR didn't flush guide data (2 reboots within 30 minutes) then it boots faster.

Right, this is something new(er). I said Genies because that is what I install everyday. Have not installed an HDDVR in probably 3 months
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Boot time is a few things that happen serially. Just like your computer has a POST time where hardware and I/O tests run during bootup, a DVR does as well. But the DVR also has hardware tests of the entire dish and distribution system, including finding the sats. It also has to do a sanity check of all running processes, and it has to audit every media file on the HDD (or at least the files represented in the DB). You will also notice it cycling through the output resolutions a number of times.

While having a faster CPU might impact this a bit, it probably is not significant. What is significant is the audit process. If you have a full 2 TB drive with lots of little recordings on it, that will take a while to audit, in the same way that deleting lots of little files on a PC takes longer than deleting one large file that is larger than those little files all put together; IOW its the houosekeeping that takes the time more than how large the files are. So a drive with all 2-hr movies on it will probably allow a quicker boot than the same drive with the equivalent space occupied by 30-minute sitcoms. If you have a brand new HDD that has no recordings on it, that will probably take about 4 minutes, because the audit is pretty short, and everything else takes about 4 minutes.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

The drive content isn't checked and verified, aka audited, on boot.  My HR44, with a 6TB array and only 30% available takes the same amount of time to boot as when I first got it and that's just over 2 minutes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

OP- How often does your DVR reboot per month? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

The drive content isn't checked and verified, aka audited, on boot.  My HR44, with a 6TB array and only 30% available takes the same amount of time to boot as when I first got it and that's just over 2 minutes.

So, you think that what you think you might have seen is enough to invalidate actual facts? Good luck living a life like that. Are off-hand comments by readers on WebMD enough to get you to dismiss direct advice from your heart surgeon, because what Joe Sixpack posted there must mean someone who has studied the issue and worked with it professionally for a long time hasn't a clue? Why am I not surprised by that?

Every DVR from the beginning of time has done this. It prevents corrupted files from mucking up the system. IOW, if it can't rectify a file based on info it compares it to in the database, it deletes that file during the start-up sanity check so that such a file can't cause issues down the road. But it has to check each file for continuity serially, one by one, and that includes separate audio files if they are not interleaved with the video. And this is from the legacy of professional broadcast video servers (which is where DVR technology came from, BTW), which have been doing this for decades, and which I am paid pretty handsomely to be this familiar with.

If it was not done, there could be files that were still listed, yet they will not play properly or at all and can't be deleted, which means over time every DVR playlist would become a mess, since unlike professional media servers there is no preventative or regular maintenance done on DVRs once the consumer has them, and call center phone calls would triple, and that does not begin to touch the number of issues that corrupted media files might cause, including spontaneous reboots and unrecoverable crashes.

Not only that, but my array is MUCH bigger than your array (OK, like most of the rest of us I don't need to overcompensate for imagined shortcomings, so I'm not nuts enough to think I even need an array, or a pickup truck with giant wheels that's 8 feet high).

Knife to a gunfight?

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

So, you think that what you think you might have seen is enough to invalidate actual facts?

What you claim happens during boot time happens well after boot up is completed.

As for your personal attack, I'll leave that to the mods to handle.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...