Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo for iOS v2.2.x - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

What's New

• The DIRECTV nomad app is now the DIRECTV GenieGo app.
  • Now instantly stream recordings on your HD DVR anywhere you have a Wi-Fi Internet connection without having to be on the home network. Just click "Watch Now" on any program in your Playlist to start watching instantly.
  • Set programs to prepare for download while you are away from home so they are ready for download when you arrive home.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,931 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Turns out my iPad app, though it said it updated, was an older version. I had to delete it manually from the iPad, and then it upgraded to the new version. Haven't had a chance to try it on an outside WiFi connection. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

iOS v2.2.116

Issue: Transcoding Slowness
I started to transcode 4 shows last night at about 1:30 am (2 one-hour shows and 2 two-hour shows). I started to watch recordings via MRV from the serving DVR and as I understand it, that would cause the transcodings to be paused. I stopped watching recordings at 3:30 am. When I got up at 7:30 am and checked my iPad, I found that it was just finishing transcoding the second one-hour show and hadn't even started on the two-hour shows. By that time, it should have been able to transcode both one-hour shows and at least one of the two-hour shows.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. I transferred a bunch of Letterman's to my ipad before the update but for some reason the GenieGo/Nomad didn't transfer the entire hour, some are 15 minutes, 40, etc. They're full size on my DVR. If I delete them & re-download they'll still be short. Is there anyway to delete the programs on the GenieGo/Nomad unit itself? The 30 second reset doesn't delete programming. Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. I transferred a bunch of Letterman's to my ipad before the update but for some reason the GenieGo/Nomad didn't transfer the entire hour, some are 15 minutes, 40, etc. They're full size on my DVR. If I delete them & re-download they'll still be short. Is there anyway to delete the programs on the GenieGo/Nomad unit itself? The 30 second reset doesn't delete programming. Thanks!

A 2-minute reset will wipe programming as well. All of it, tho. There's no way to selectively delete.

• alexcohen likes this
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Well that seemed to work, thanks! Now let's see if they download completely.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well that seemed to work, thanks! Now let's see if they download completely.

Ya. You may find it happening again. We've had episodes of some severe weather here in NY the past week and I just watched an episode of Chopped that showed a full hour in the progress bar, but was missing about 16 minutes (the entire second round) in the middle of the show. There's no way GenieGo would have been able to transcode that without an issue, I'll bet.

• alexcohen likes this
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

I must be working because now 2 hours later one episode is still transcoding!

#9 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I cant find the iPad version.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

I cant find the iPad version.

The iPad version is the iPhone version used at 2x for the GUI, but video playback is properly sized and scaled for the iPad screen.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

The iPad version is the iPhone version used at 2x for the GUI, but video playback is properly sized and scaled for the iPad screen.

oh, thanks

#12 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Any ideas on speeding up the transcoding, it's taking about 18 hours to transcode 1 hour of programming? 

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Any ideas on speeding up the transcoding, it's taking about 18 hours to transcode 1 hour of programming? 

Transcoding usually takes real time plus a few minutes to copy, so 64-65 minutes for a 1-hour show, e.g.

Unless the host DVR's been serving other content in the home for the past 18 hours, meaning the GenieGo device sees it as "busy", I would guess there's an issue with the original recording you're trying to transcode. Either that, or there's a handshaking issue between that DVR and the Genie device, in which case a reboot of both may be in order. Just my .02.

• alexcohen likes this
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

The "Late Shows" are on my bedroom DVR & I have been having trouble watching shows from my bedroom unit in the kitchen. I'm going to switch Letterman to the lving room DVR as soon as I finish this note, I'll let you know if that helps.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,931 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Try Leno in the meantime! 

:rolling:

Did you get the transcoding squared away? 

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

The "Late Shows" are on my bedroom DVR & I have been having trouble watching shows from my bedroom unit in the kitchen. I'm going to switch Letterman to the lving room DVR as soon as I finish this note, I'll let you know if that helps.

Sounds like you need to get your WHDVR issues resolved first. Whatever's causing the problems watching shows from that DVR is likely also causing problems transcoding shows from that DVR.

I'd start by running a system test on that bedroom DVR, and if it passes, then rebooting it. Menu-Settings-Info-Run Test

/steve

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

Sounds like you need to get your WHDVR issues resolved first. Whatever's causing the problems watching shows from that DVR is likely also causing problems transcoding shows from that DVR.

I'd start by running a system test on that bedroom DVR, and if it passes, then rebooting it. Menu-Settings-Info-Run Test

Also, if your bedroom DVR happens to be an HR24-500, there is a known issue with Genie transcoding.

/steve

#18 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Transcoding is still really slow.

I'll check on the model number.

I've had problems with whole house & Directv says "yes it's a problem" but refuses to help.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,931 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

For troubleshooting, I come here, not to DIRECTV. 

• alexcohen likes this

#20 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

So I just ordered a Genie DVR, it'll end up costing me 40 bucks. I'm wondering how much of a pain in the butt that'll be!  :eek2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...