Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo for iOS v2.2.x - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,277 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

You don't have to do that.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I am spoiled and have all the toys. Slingbox for TWC and one for Directv plus Genie. Also, Apple TV and Roku for fun.

I live by the adage that the person who dies with the most toys....

#43 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I am spoiled and have all the toys. Slingbox for TWC and one for Directv plus Genie. Also, Apple TV and Roku for fun.

I live by the adage that the person who dies with the most toys....

is dead.

• Laxguy likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#44 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

iOS v2.2.117

Issue: Streaming Hiccups
Tried to stream an episode of Under the Dome while on my home network. The video would pause every 5 seconds or so for a few seconds. Made it unwatchable.

Issue: Downloading Slowness
As I then remembered that I had that series transcoded, I went ahead and tried to download 2 episodes of Under the Dome and 1 episode of Covert Affairs. It started to download an episode of Under the Dome. It spent 4 minutes calculating the time remaining and then popped up that it was going to take 48 minutes. The time started to fluctuate and actually increased to 51 minutes. I've included a screen shot of the download screen.

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1374975758.984462.jpg

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#45 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

iOS v2.2.117

Issue: Streaming Hiccups
Tried to stream an episode of Under the Dome while on my home network. The video would pause every 5 seconds or so for a few seconds. Made it unwatchable.

Issue: Downloading Slowness
As I then remembered that I had that series transcoded, I went ahead and tried to download 2 episodes of Under the Dome and 1 episode of Covert Affairs. It started to download an episode of Under the Dome. It spent 4 minutes calculating the time remaining and then popped up that it was going to take 48 minutes. The time started to fluctuate and actually increased to 51 minutes. I've included a screen shot of the download screen.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByDBSTalk1374975758.984462.jpg

- Merg

Apparently the GenieGo is very sensitive with regard to the Wifi signal. I was trying to perform the download while sitting on my deck, where I get 2 out of 3 bars on my iPad. I was having no issues with anything else I was doing via wifi, including watching a video on Facebook. As soon as I went inside and got 3 bars on my iPad, the time for downloading dropped significantly, although it did not download an episode in 5 minutes (more like 10-15).

- Merg

#46 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I added a switch/Access Point in front of GenieGo this morning for some additional connectivity in the basement and later found that both IOS and PC clients report that OOH is not configured although my router shows 8082-8085 forwarded to the IP of GG.  There have been no changes in the router since OOH was working and those changes were made by the clients.

I deleted them and tried the setup with both IOS and PC current clients.  The IOS check comes back too quickly to test anything when the PC test takes a minute or so and both fail.

The setup on the PC client says it fails but 8084/85 are back in the router.  IOS puts 8082/83 back in but still reports fail.

The PC client asks for router type and credentials, the IOS goes without asking anything.

And the directv.com/geniego/router page doesn't list DD-WRT when both clients do.

Edit:  A router reboot fixed it. . . never had to do that before.

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Still finding that downloading is taking a lot longer than I think it should. Sitting downstairs near my router, I am finding that it is downloading at a rate of 1.6 MB/sec, however, if I go upstairs, that will drop to about half of that and it takes about 10-15 minutes to download a 1 hour episode. My wireless signal is not dropping that much when I go upstairs, so I'm not sure what is causing the huge drop-off in transfer rate.

- Merg

#48 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Any wireless phones that aren't DECT?  Run insider and see if there are competing local wireless.

#49 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Any wireless phones that aren't DECT? Run insider and see if there are competing local wireless.

I'll have to look into it some more. I started downloading 8 episodes of Ripper Street last night. The first episode downloaded in 20+ minutes. When I got up in the morning (about 8 hrs later) I found that it had just completed downloading the second episode. I went downstairs with my iPad and the remaining 6 downloaded about a 1/2 hour.

- Merg

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,277 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Something (besides yourself!) must have gone to sleep! ?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#51 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Issue: Low Space Warning Inaccurate / Completed Downloads Missing
I'm not sure how the app determines if you have enough free space, but it is not accurate. I was in the process of downloading about 20 episodes, to include 6 episodes of Copper. I then decided to add in 8 episodes of Ripper Street. When I selected the first episode of Ripper Street, I got a pop-up that stated I did not have enough free space. I removed some music and tried again and the 8 episodes were added to my Download Queue. This morning, I checked my queue and after moving downstairs near my router, it showed that it was downloading and I even got the little banners that my shows had downloaded. However, when I got to where I was traveling and I pulled up my GenieGo client playlist, I had only 5 episodes of Copper and none of Ripper Street. In checking my free space, I found I only have 1.5 GB of space left. So, even though it said it was downloading and was successful, it really wasn't.

Now, I could get by without Ripper Street, however, with Copper the one episode I am missing is, of course, the first one!

- Merg

#52 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

ISSUE:    geniego app on laptop, iPhone and iPad can not see the HR24 in my network.   They can all see and playback recordings on the HR21 and the HR44 just fine.  The HR24 is available in playlist on the Directv for iPad application.

Reset of the geniego will bring the HR24 playlist visible for about 3 minutes.   Attempts to play anything during this time just stay at initial screen.

#53 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just wanted to point out that the GenieGo app worked flawlessly on my iPad this past week. I used it completely off-line and along with the app loading quickly, playback of all shows was flawless. The only issue is that using the TimeBar to FF is almost impossible. It skips forward or backwards in incremements of 1 minute and 3 seconds and trying to sometimes pick the start point can be a little difficult. I found myself having to use the TimeBar to skip ahead or backwards again after I took my finger off of it since I guess I fat-fingered it and it jumped to the next minute.

Feature Request: TrickPlay Functions / Progressive TimeBar

I would again like to ask for true TrickPlay functionality be added to the TrickPlay functions. This would include the ability to Skip Ahead 30 seconds and Skip Back 6 seconds. Also, it would be nice to be able to use the TImeBar to perform a progressive FF or RW, where if you drag left/right near the TimeBar it would skip time at a high rate of speed, whereas, if you moved your finger lower on the screen and then left/right, the speed of the FF/RW would be slower. I believe the built-in iOS video player has this ability.

- Merg

#54 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Attempted to access geniego from multiple wifi hot spots never loaded playlist after many minutes of loading content message, performed same task on 4G and playlist loaded fast  So it appears OOH access is correctly configured however dont understand why wifi hotspot could never get access

#55 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Attempted to access geniego from multiple wifi hot spots never loaded playlist after many minutes of loading content message, performed same task on 4G and playlist loaded fast  So it appears OOH access is correctly configured however dont understand why wifi hotspot could never get access

It depends on which wifi hotspot you are trying to use.

Here is my experience testing OOH:

When I first tried OOH from a local McDonalds, the video wouldn't start playing even after waiting several minutes

probably too slow of a connection speed.

Next day, I went to a Starbucks, it worked very well - as if I was streaming from inside my home network.

#56 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Interesting thing happened today.i reset the geniego about an hour later access it from iPad and the hr24 playlist was visible. I started playing something just fine so ended it. Came back later and playlist is gone.

#57 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

In addition to speedtests, you can use telnet to see if you're getting through back to your home network. . .

Before you leave home, check your external IP by www.whatismyip.com  and write that down . . . or if you have a dynamic dns setting you can use that.

Away from home, use telnet in DOS or something like iTelnet on the iPad and

in DOS:

telnet <external IP> 8082   (or 8083) and you should get a 'connected'   -- it will eventually time out.  If you get connected on both ports and the speed is sufficient, GG OOH should work.

#58 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

well from OOH I can refresh playlist just fine on 4G network so I know some port is open to query that.    Just seems that on wifi it never shows the playlist.   I have now tried at about 4 different wifi locations at various restaurants etc that provide wifi access.

#59 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

well from OOH I can refresh playlist just fine on 4G network so I know some port is open to query that.    Just seems that on wifi it never shows the playlist.   I have now tried at about 4 different wifi locations at various restaurants etc that provide wifi access

Spidey,

No error messages to report?

Important:    Have you tried exiting the app completely (using red - Minus sign) and then restarting it from scratch? -This worked for me.

-do this once you are OOH at restaurant.

Try the app using the above method, if that doesn't work try the method a second or third time from the same location.

The second time was the charm for me on the initial OOH access.

Have you checked these..

Access your DVR playlist

To access your HD DVR playlist from your computer or mobile application, you must enable

Whole-Home playlist sharing and external device access on your HD DVR.

• Share your playlist:

- Go to Menu > Parental, Fav’s & Setup > System Setup > Whole-Home > Share Playlist.

- Set Share Playlist to “Yes.”

• Allow access from an external device:

.- Go to Menu > Parental, Fav’s & Setup > System Setup > Whole-Home > External Device.

- Change External Access from “Block” to “Allow.”

- Change Recordings from “Block” to “Allow.”

Resetting the GenieGO™

On the front panel behind the cap is a red reset button. This button has two types of resets

that are initiated by pressing and holding the button.

• Press for 3 seconds: restart the GenieGO (cycles power off and on)

• Press for 30 seconds and release: remove user-configurable options (all user settings set back

to default and content is kept)

- I recall there is also a 2-minute reset but that resets everything back to factory defaults and

you will lose ALL of your content

Got a Starbucks nearby? That connection worked very well here for me.

Edited by tbolt, 21 August 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Just tested to make sure ports are open using open port test tool on internet.  I dont see a red minus sign on the iPhone app.   Interesting thing is even if I run port config on my iPad if I do a test out of home access I get test failed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...