Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Actiontec MI-424 Router - No out-of-home access?

Actiontec GenieGo

Best Answer nevski , 14 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I figured it out and successfully got my GenieGO to work outside of my home network with my Actiontec MI424WR router!!!!!!!!  Here is how I did it:

Select firewall settings (top bar menu selection)-->"Do You Want to Proceed? (Select Yes)" --> Port Forwarding (left side navigation)

Under the "Create new port forwarding rule" dropdown, select the ip address (and/or hostname) of the GenieGO

Under the "Application to Forward..." dropdown, select "Custom Port"

HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify".  This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.

Click on "Apply" to apply this change

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

I have a Verizon FIOS Actiontec MI-424 router with v.4.0.16 firmware.   I followed the helpful DirecTV instructions at http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3875 to configure ports 8082 and 8083 on my GenieGo IP address.   Seemingly no issues with the router setup (see screen shot of configuration display geniego_router_130628.jpg ).

But, running the new GenieGo software on my iPad, it Fails the "Test Out of Home Access", even the the "Configure GenieGo Ports" claims success.   This is all while I'm connected to my home WiFi network via my Actiontec router.  

Suggestions?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Litzdog, did you see my reply over at the DirecTV forums?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Tried again to setup OOH access, this time using an updated Windows laptop PC client software instead of the iPad client.  

Seems to find my router just fine.  I specify that it's an "Actiontec MI424WR Rev C Firmware", and it goes through the steps of "Setting up your router for Out of Home Access ....".   It takes a few minutes.  Then comes back with "! GenieGo Out of Home Access is not working".  Of course, I had already manually opened up access to ports 8082 and 8083.  I've also temporarily disabled all of my router's Firewall settings (it was set to "Medium Security").  No change.   

Anyone have suggestions?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Tried one more thing ....

Deleted my manually entered open Port Forwarding ports and let the GenieGo PC client try to configure the router ports.   But no help.  Still says "Not working".  

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Are you running your FiOS gateway in bridge mode and using another router?
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Are you running your FiOS gateway in bridge mode and using another router?

No, it's my main wireless router.  

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I am assuming you set up a static IP address for the GenieGo 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,079 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I am assuming you set up a static IP address for the GenieGo 

It's my understanding static IPs can't be setup on the GenieGo.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

It's my understanding static IPs can't be setup on the GenieGo.

I guessed I might have used the wrong term.  More like reserving a DHCP address by MAC address, which pretty much makes it an static IP address

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   nevski

nevski

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have the same router and am having no luck with out of home access for my GenieGo.  Have you found a solution? Or have any suggestions to try?

#11 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have the same router and am having no luck with out of home access for my GenieGo.  Have you found a solution? Or have any suggestions to try?

Not yet.  Still working on it, though.  Are you having the same problem as my Actiontec?   Have you forwarded 8082 & 8083 manually?  What revision of Actiontec MI-424 firmware do you have?

#12 OFFLINE   nevski

nevski

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yes I am having the same problem as you.  I can not use out of home access on my Actiontec M1424WR Rev. D  Firmware Version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 router.  Yes I have forwarded ports 8082 & 8083 manually.  I can see all of the DVR's contents in my home network but not when I am out of my home network.  I tried rebooting DVR's, computer, GenieGO, and router to no avail.  Set the GenieGO's IP to static, but no luck. If you come across a fix please let me know. Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

Yes I am having the same problem as you.  I can not use out of home access on my Actiontec M1424WR Rev. D  Firmware Version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 router.  Yes I have forwarded ports 8082 & 8083 manually.  I can see all of the DVR's contents in my home network but not when I am out of my home network.  I tried rebooting DVR's, computer, GenieGO, and router to no avail.  Set the GenieGO's IP to static, but no luck. If you come across a fix please let me know. Thanks.

Will do.  Guess it's not unique to "Rev C" firmware like mine.   Which GenieGo client software are you using (PC, iPad?).   What happens when the GenieGo software tries to configure your router automatically?   Mine goes through the motions but comes back with the out-of-home test failed. 

#14 OFFLINE   nevski

nevski

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

I have a PC, iPad, and iPhone 5.  Yeah when I use the GenieGO software to configure the exact router out of the drop down list it still comes back out of home access test failed. Even when I do the diagnostic connectivity test all 6 pass. I believe it is something in the router. I tried reducing the security in the firewall. Changing IP address. Still no luck.GenieGO.PNG

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Maybe related to this, I can't OOH stream from a nearby hospital's "guest" wifi connection, even though a speed test shows >10Mbps of download capability. Turns out the hospital's wireless is being provisioned by Verizon Business Services.

/steve

#16 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

How well or transparent does the Actiontec MI-424 do bridging, so you can maybe try another router in case the Actiontec finally just refuses allow the GenieGo OOH streaming?

Don't know too much about FiOS stuff, but AIUI you need the Actiontec's MoCA networking capability in the mix at least in a secondary capacity as a bridge, particularly if you have FiOS TV to allow the coax MoCA based DVRs and STBs to connect to the router and internet.   

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

How well or transparent does the Actiontec MI-424 do bridging, so you can maybe try another router in case the Actiontec finally just refuses allow the GenieGo OOH streaming?

Don't know too much about FiOS stuff, but AIUI you need the Actiontec's MoCA networking capability in the mix at least in a secondary capacity as a bridge, particularly if you have FiOS TV to allow the coax MoCA based DVRs and STBs to connect to the router and internet.   

I'm not sure how easy it is to bridge a different router to the Actiontec FIOS modem.  I would certainly prefer to not go down that path.   And no, I don't have FIOS TV.  

#18 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm not sure how easy it is to bridge a different router to the Actiontec FIOS modem.  I would certainly prefer to not go down that path.   And no, I don't have FIOS TV.  

OK;

But since you don't have FiOS TV and if the Actiontec continues not to cooperate. I'm curious, how inconvenient would it be for your FiOS install to just ditch the Actiontec and go ethernet to the ONT then use another router?

Then if you ever want to add FiOS TV you can bring back the Actiontec in a secondary router capacity as illustrated in this from the FiOS FAQ at dslreports.com

PRILANtoWAN.jpg

I know perhaps a lot to ask just for the sake of the GenieGo's OOH feature, but what about it anyway? :)

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

When I had FiOS internet I called them up because I wanted the gateway that supported the wireless 802.11n protocol and they could not provide one, so after MANY, MANY phone calls I got them to switch my ONT to ethernet to my Apple Extreme router. It was not easy to have this switched as this was not "supported"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   nevski

nevski

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:13 PM   Best Answer

I figured it out and successfully got my GenieGO to work outside of my home network with my Actiontec MI424WR router!!!!!!!!  Here is how I did it:

Select firewall settings (top bar menu selection)-->"Do You Want to Proceed? (Select Yes)" --> Port Forwarding (left side navigation)

Under the "Create new port forwarding rule" dropdown, select the ip address (and/or hostname) of the GenieGO

Under the "Application to Forward..." dropdown, select "Custom Port"

HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify".  This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.

Click on "Apply" to apply this change

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Actiontec, GenieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...