Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Actiontec MI-424 Router - No out-of-home access?

Actiontec GenieGo

Best Answer nevski , 14 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I figured it out and successfully got my GenieGO to work outside of my home network with my Actiontec MI424WR router!!!!!!!!  Here is how I did it:

Select firewall settings (top bar menu selection)-->"Do You Want to Proceed? (Select Yes)" --> Port Forwarding (left side navigation)

Under the "Create new port forwarding rule" dropdown, select the ip address (and/or hostname) of the GenieGO

Under the "Application to Forward..." dropdown, select "Custom Port"

HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify".  This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.

Click on "Apply" to apply this change

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

I figured it out and successfully got my GenieGO to work outside of my home network with my Actiontec MI424WR router!!!!!!!!  Here is how I did it:

Select firewall settings (top bar menu selection)-->"Do You Want to Proceed? (Select Yes)" --> Port Forwarding (left side navigation)

Under the "Create new port forwarding rule" dropdown, select the ip address (and/or hostname) of the GenieGO

Under the "Application to Forward..." dropdown, select "Custom Port"

HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify".  This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.

Click on "Apply" to apply this change

You are a genius!   Yes, it passed the test!  Now I need to try it from outside my home tomorrow.  Thank you!

I left both TCP and UDP enabled just to be safe.  Hope that doesn't matter. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

You are a genius!   Yes, it passed the test!  Now I need to try it from outside my home tomorrow.  Thank you!

I left both TCP and UDP enabled just to be safe.  Hope that doesn't matter. 

It won't affect performance, but you don't need to open up any UDP ports.

/steve

#23 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

There are a few standard programs that you can specify the source port. . . Telnet / 23, SSH / 22, RDP / 3389 but don't specify it unless you know for sure.

Some routers use 'ANY', some use 0 or  0.0.0.0 or blank for the source port.

You can confirm that by running the Genie PC client, stream a program and enter NETSTAT in a dos window.

TCP    192.168.10.112:52477   192.168.10.87:8082     TIME_WAIT

TCP    192.168.10.112:52491   192.168.10.87:8083     ESTABLISHED

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

I just wanted to stop by and thank litzdog and nevski for their efforts on this.  I found this thread a few weeks ago and saved nevski's instructions.  When I got my GenieGo, last week, I followed the instructions and OOH works perfectly for me.

I love this place.

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

I just wanted to stop by and thank litzdog and nevski for their efforts on this.  I found this thread a few weeks ago and saved nevski's instructions.  When I got my GenieGo, last week, I followed the instructions and OOH works perfectly for me.

I love this place.

Glad your GenieGo is up and running.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

I love this place.

You're very welcome!

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#27 OFFLINE   melihall

melihall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have the same router and have done the port forwarding and I still can't get the OOH access to work. I keep getting a message saying the HDDVR is busy and cannot stream right now, then GenieGO/131.  Any suggestions?? 

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have the same router and have done the port forwarding and I still can't get the OOH access to work. I keep getting a message saying the HDDVR is busy and cannot stream right now, then GenieGO/131.  Any suggestions?? 

Does it stream in-house from that dvr?  You might try a 30 second reset on GG and a menu reset on the DVR.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#29 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

After you go to the DirecTV app, go to the Settings and see if Out of Home Access has been enabled.  If so, then the router is setup properly.  I don't believe that this is what is causing the busy DVR message.

#30 OFFLINE   herbc0704

herbc0704

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have the same router and the same problems and error message "GenieGo /131".

Streaming works in house.   OOH access test says router is setup for GenieGo Out of Home access.  But does not work out of home.

#31 OFFLINE   melihall

melihall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Does it stream in-house from that dvr?  You might try a 30 second reset on GG and a menu reset on the DVR.

It streams everything from the house just fine. Its only when I am not connected to my home WIFI that it won't work. I had a hard time getting the genie go to even work. Had to set up port forwarding etc. So frustrating and directv is no help.

#32 OFFLINE   melihall

melihall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

After you go to the DirecTV app, go to the Settings and see if Out of Home Access has been enabled.  If so, then the router is setup properly.  I don't believe that this is what is causing the busy DVR message.

OOH access is saying that its enabled. All of my shows come up in the genie but they just won't play.

#33 OFFLINE   herbc0704

herbc0704

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Just thinking out load, but could this have to do with hddvr's going into energy save mode and internally turning off.   I am at work and the genie go app on my iphone and ipad see the record shows but can't play.  A show that just finished recording can be seen.  error 131 says that the HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming.  Just a thought. 

#34 OFFLINE   herbc0704

herbc0704

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Out of the blue I click Genie go on my ipad and it works.  WTF.  two hours ago I got GenieGO/131.  I am sure DirectTv will screw it up.

#35 OFFLINE   stevecon

stevecon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

I wish I had seen this earlier! 

I spent hours with the wizard & manually configuring, DTV live chat and DTV Tech Support both told me to contact Veriozn FiOS Support or Actiontec Support. 

Chaning to "Any" solved my problem instantly!

Thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Actiontec, GenieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...