Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new APT with Directv, contract?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   a_greer

a_greer

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee WI for now

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

I love directv and was excited to learn that my new apartment that I will move into in a few weeks is wired for it, as an MDU high rise. My only concern is the contract, it is my understanding that there is a 2 year contract required to get DirecTV, as a home owning buddy of mine has informed me.  Does this apple to apartments? and if so, why on earth would I commit to two years of TV when I am leasing the apartment a year at a time?!?!?

Also, the property manager seemed to indicate that there is some sort of basic directv package included with the rent, is rhis a standard package listed on the website? Is it common for prewired high rise MDU apts to include some Directv programming? and will I be able to add stuff like HBO, NFL ST, NHL CI and such and still not pay for the rent included portion again?  (EG if the Choice package is included in rent, can I just be billed for HBO and the sports PPVs and not Choice again?)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sounds like its a "bulk billed" property. Typically for those yes you would be able to pay for just the services you want above and beyond the standard. Also, these properties typically have an "alternative offer" that doesn't match the typical national offer if you want shorter contract but it results in less promos or upfront cost.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#3 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Oh and one more note typically for those properties they are not handled directly by directv (very few are) and in most cases you must speak with the MDU dealer that has rights to the property to setup the acct.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#4 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I love directv and was excited to learn that my new apartment that I will move into in a few weeks is wired for it, as an MDU high rise. My only concern is the contract, it is my understanding that there is a 2 year contract required to get DirecTV, as a home owning buddy of mine has informed me.  Does this apple to apartments? and if so, why on earth would I commit to two years of TV when I am leasing the apartment a year at a time?!?!?

MDU properties are a slightly different setup, for equipment, programming and pricing..typical options may be 6 months, 12 months and 24 months (possible month-to-month)..ask your property management office for the contact telephone to the contracted provider, then ask the sales rep what options you have.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#5 OFFLINE   a_greer

a_greer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

thanks all

Drove to the new place yesterday and got the tv info (n addition to all the other moving details) 

They did not tell me the correct info up front, on the down side no package is included with the place, but on the upside I will get free Sunday Ticket!  The reseller is called Multi Band, I hve never heard of them but I assume if DTV lets them rep, they are  a good firm.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Multi-Band  is an HSP (Home Service Provider) for DirecTV just like Mastic and a few others

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   a_greer

a_greer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

thanks. Just one more question I have after a little more googling, I think based on the managers description of the property that they use what Directv calls IP Advantage for distribution - Does this system degrade video? I cant imagine cat 3 or 2 pair phone wire carrying triple play without making HD look really bad, you know, downright comcastic. Am i worried of nothing Thanks!

spam firewall