Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

advice on whr setup etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

OK, I have 2 HR24-200s and 1 HR22-100

I have been unable to get internet access or connect to my home network via powerline adapters. (this used to work before my router died and I got a new router)

It has been suggested that I get the cinema connection kit (?) and sign up for whole home service

I am swm connected.

What exactly do I need to get whole home AND internet connected so I can use tv apps etc.

I have a home network using a netgear wnr2000n router

do i need an installer (and if I don't how much cost)

addendum: I have too many programs on my dvr's so I wouldn't want to replace them with genie or whatever.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

To go the DIRECTV "approved" route, you'll get a DECA adapter for the HR22 and some manner of Cinema Connection Kit. It may also require a replacement splitter if the existing one isn't "green label".

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of popular support for what is left of the apps.

You will need to have it installed if you want warranty and "support" from DIRECTV.

Whole Home requires only that the receivers be reliably connected to each other.

The Internet stuff comes from the CCK. You get both with a DIRECTV installation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

You'll be able to circumvent having to use powerline by having Whole House installed, with one receiver hopefully near your router, where a DECA connection can be made, which will network the receivers and internet. As to cost, only DIRECTV can tell you that, as it varies depending on a number of factors. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

You'll be able to circumvent having to use powerline by having Whole House installed, with one receiver hopefully near your router, where a DECA connection can be made, which will network the receivers and internet. As to cost, only DIRECTV can tell you that, as it varies depending on a number of factors. 

My router is in my bedroom and is across the room from an hr24 receiver. I would only need the one cck, right? If this is a hard wire connection between this receiver and the router could prove difficult. The other receivers would connect wirelessly and I could connect to the internet for on demand  and streaming to an ipad? (which my wife wants to buy)

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

All receivers will need the coax, and the coax handles the networking both internal and external (meaning internet). So, yes, you'd need only one CCK, and with the whole home set up done professionally, you should have no problem.  It's wireless only to the extent that there are no extra wires for internet— the network goes through the coax.

The iPad connects wirelessly, truly wirelessly and is a separate issue. You can do some streaming to an iPad, but generally not live sporting events, unless you also purchase a GenieGo, and start the recording on the DVR and then stream it to the iPad. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

There are about 80+ channels that can be streamed inside your network while using the DirecTV iPad app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thanks all for the info, it is really appreciated. I called directv and was able to ask precise questions because of your input. The installation would be $199, which is too much for me right now (Might've swung $100, but $200 is really iffy) If my situation improves or they have a promo, I will revisit the issue.  Thanks again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...