Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing DirecTV subscriber, how much would it be to upgrade to Genie?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I've had DirecTV for several years now. My wife clogs our DVR with a bunch of trash that interrupts what I wanna watch, so I'd like to upgrade to Genie.

How much extra per month is it? And would I have to agree to a new 2 year contract just for upgrading to it?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,498 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

If you simply are replacing an HD DVR with a Genie, there is no difference per month, except for the possible exception that the Whole Home service is required, which is $3 a month. However, if it's your only box, that is waived.

It would have a two year commitment.

What other equipment (if any) do you have?

#3 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have one DVR right now in the living room... forgot what model it is, but I can record 2 shows at once but have to be watching one live. Kind of a pain.

Blah, sucks that I'd have to agree to 2 years just for upgrading to the Genie! But I think I need it. Wife clogs the DVR up with Real Housewives and Kardashians... there's a new episode like 3 times per day it seems  :blackeye:

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

If you record a lot, you can record 2 shows and watch one of the ones you have already recorded at the same time.

I do this every day on my DVR.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   alc965

alc965

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

called Directv last week to inquire about getting a replacement remote control. What I got instead was a Genie Whole Home upgrade for $3 a month extra without asking. Extremely happy with the speed and the PIP option.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,498 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

But your current DVR is HD? That's key to the monthly fees. If this is upgrading you to HD, there's a $10 HD fee per account.

I'd also make sure things are set up correctly, like are her shows set up to record both or repeats? Also some shows don't handle repeats correctly, and we have to do some special programming to get rid of those. I also generally setup network shows at a higher priority, as cable shows generally repeat more than the standard network show.

#7 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes, it's HD. I'm going to call later today and see if I can just get an upgrade to Genie for that $3 to $5/month...

alc965 did you have to agree to 2 more years?

And yes I have checked her shows. They are all first run only, problem is there's so many!!! lol

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,498 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

You won't have to pay the Whole Home fee if the Genie is the only box. I can guarantee alc965 got a contract with his Genie.

#9 OFFLINE   alc965

alc965

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

2 year contract

#10 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, I guess I'll see if I can squeeze a free NFL Sunday Ticket out of them if I'm gonna be agreeing to 2 more years! :)

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

You might consider adding a box instead of replacing it. That way you can set it up so you never see listings for shows you eschew. More expensive, but worth the peace of mind. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well, I guess I'll see if I can squeeze a free NFL Sunday Ticket out of them if I'm gonna be agreeing to 2 more years! :)

You could pay over $400 and own one and then not have a 2 year agreement.  Which is better for you?

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

You could pay over $400 and own one and then not have a 2 year agreement. Which is better for you?

I think the current lease model means even if you leave directv, you have to send them back that $400 DVR you paid. Sounds like contract is a viable alternative to that.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think the current lease model means even if you leave directv, you have to send them back that $400 DVR you paid. Sounds like contract is a viable alternative to that.

I believe some have listed owned models from ebay and such.  If it is truly owned, it would not have the agreement.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

You won't have to pay the Whole Home fee if the Genie is the only box.

Going forward, even a single Plus HD DVR appears to be qualifying for a $25 Advanced Receiver Fee. I wonder if it has anything to do with when you signed up and/or upgraded.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Going forward, even a single Plus HD DVR appears to be qualifying for a $25 Advanced Receiver Fee. I wonder if it has anything to do with when you signed up and/or upgraded.

All accounts activated on/after February 9, 2012.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#17 OFFLINE   Kromagg73

Kromagg73

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Check to see if you have an offer for the Genie, for example "Genie w/1, 2 or 3 Clients for $0" The installation is free and so is the box. As of May 16th DirecTv offered an every two year upgrade and you can take advantage of that. You will have to call and see if you are eligible for the every two year upgrade. After that it is only $3 per month for the whole home fee and $10 Dvr/HD fee if you if you already don't have HD or DVR's in your home.  The offer is based on your last upgrade, so if you don't have it until later, that could be why, but that's something to check on.

• Nguyenning likes this

#18 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Check to see if you have an offer for the Genie, for example "Genie w/1, 2 or 3 Clients for $0" The installation is free and so is the box. As of May 16th DirecTv offered an every two year upgrade and you can take advantage of that. You will have to call and see if you are eligible for the every two year upgrade. After that it is only $3 per month for the whole home fee and $10 Dvr/HD fee if you if you already don't have HD or DVR's in your home.  The offer is based on your last upgrade, so if you don't have it until later, that could be why, but that's something to check on.

This is if you have the Protection Plan with D*.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

As of May 16th DirecTv offered an every two year upgrade and you can take advantage of that. .

that is only true as long as you have he Protection plan

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

You are saying that even if you only have one dvr that you have to pay for whole home dvr service?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...