Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing DirecTV subscriber, how much would it be to upgrade to Genie?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

For accounts started after February 9, 2012, essentially. They have one fee of $25, which includes Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

For accounts started after February 9, 2012, essentially. They have one fee of $25, which includes Whole Home.

So instead of breaking it up, they combined it to one line item and raised the price by $2?  I think that is equivalant to these three line items on my online statement:

06/20  07/19  Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly    10.00   trans.gif  trans.gif

06/20  07/19  Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly    10.00   trans.gif 

06/20  07/19  DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly    3.00

Edited by cypherx, 03 July 2013 - 06:32 AM.

• peds48 likes this

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#23 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I got a email stating that I am one of the customers that can upgrade to the genie for free. The question is whether or not I take it as I have 1 HD DVR and 3 standard recivers. I have one HDTV that has a standard box, but I wonder how much it would cost to put the HD DVR in that room with the Genie in my room.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

The "relocation" is included in whatever you pay (or even if is free) to get the hardware and installation 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

I just paid $99.00 with a six month $10.00 credit bringing it down to $39.99. But they may have to put in a new multiswitch & that's a $49.00 service call fee. When I first ordered it they said I needed one but when I finally ordered it they said I didn't. Well it just arrived & surprise, surprise, I need one, but since they messed up they're waving the service call fee.

#26 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I just paid $99.00 with a six month $10.00 credit bringing it down to $39.99. But they may have to put in a new multiswitch & that's a $49.00 service call fee. When I first ordered it they said I needed one but when I finally ordered it they said I didn't. Well it just arrived & surprise, surprise, I need one, but since they messed up they're waving the service call fee.

Just called... they said to add genie to my account, it'd be $299 for them to ship it out to me. Wtf?

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not everyone gets the same deal. Depends on account and CSR.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Just called... they said to add genie to my account, it'd be $299 for them to ship it out to me. Wtf?

Not being under a contract can help tremendously 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   Nguyenning

Nguyenning

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Not being under a contract can help tremendously 

Yeah... think I'll wait this one out at that price. I guess I can endure the Kardashians and Real Housewives on my DVR for $300+

#30 OFFLINE   roadrnnr

roadrnnr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Still trying to understand Genie. I have 4 HD DVRS presently with whole home DVR. Would getting Genie eliminate the other three HD-DVR's and their montlhy fee's?

The HR22's I think I have suck, they are so slow.

Seems like a good deal to replace them with Genie if I am understanding how it works right.

Also what is the Geni Mini it says is required in each room? How can they say you don't need a box in every room but then make you get that?

#31 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Still trying to understand Genie. I have 4 HD DVRS presently with whole home DVR. Would getting Genie eliminate the other three HD-DVR's and their montlhy fee's?

The HR22's I think I have suck, they are so slow.

Seems like a good deal to replace them with Genie if I am understanding how it works right.

Also what is the Geni Mini it says is required in each room? How can they say you don't need a box in every room but then make you get that?

The Genie is a 5-tuner DVR. It can work alongside or without your other DVRs. You could replace one DVR and remove one DVR and you would have one more tuner than you currently have now. That would reduce your bill by $6 by removing a receiver.

The Genie minis are clients for the Genie itself. They use a tuner from the Genie itself and give you full access to the Genie as if you were using the Genie directly. The minis are not required in order to use the Genie. As for not having a box in every room, if you have an RVU-enabled TV, the TV can act as a client for the Genie and you don't need a box. Just be aware that the Minis or a RVU-enabled TV still entail the $6/month fee.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

IMHO, DirecTV will never make a product that would eliminate the monthly fee. This is their bread and butter.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like you didn't talk to Retention.  How long has it been since your last receiver was activated?  When is your current commitment up?  Do you pay on time every time?  Those things have a baring on the deals you are able to get.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#34 OFFLINE   roadrnnr

roadrnnr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

The Genie is a 5-tuner DVR. It can work alongside or without your other DVRs. You could replace one DVR and remove one DVR and you would have one more tuner than you currently have now. That would reduce your bill by $6 by removing a receiver.

- Merg

Ok so If I got a Genie rec would they charge me  a fee for 5 tuners at $6 month each.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

No, it's per receiver, not tuner. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ok guys maybe you can help me out. I am also looking at upgrading to a genie, because I just got a letter telling me that I can do so for free. 

I don't have to get the whole home service if I get a genie, correct? I don't currently have it, and don't need/want it either. Assuming I don't, the monthly fees changing from an HD-DVR to a Genie will be the same, right? (I have no intention on getting any genie minis)

I currently have 1 HD-DVR receiver, 1 HD receiver, and 1 standard definition receiver. If I replaced it to be the following: 1 Genie, 1 HD-DVR (get rid of the normal HD one), and 1 standard - would my monthly bill stay the same? I realize the two DVRs would not be connected in anyway (without whole home service), but I'm fine with that. Would I have to pay extra per month to have 2 separate DVRs (rather than just 1)? 

EDIT: hm, I think right now I'm paying $10 for HD and $10 for DVR. If I upgrade to a genie, will they force me to pay $25 instead for the "advanced receiver service," even if I don't want the whole home service? 

Edited by Prea, 23 July 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Not sure if they'd push you to the other fee format or not. I do not believe they would but not sure.  They never have me, but I haven't added a genie to my system after they changed their fees formats.

You may or may not need some other equipment changes, that depends on how your system is set up now.  But that is likely included as well.  And Id get rid of the sd receiver and put the hd box on the other tv, not the other way around.  Zero reason to not do that.

Unless they force you to jump to the new fee, or get MRV then no, your bill will NOT change.

With two dvrs, you may find yourself using MRV if you end up with it.

#38 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not sure if they'd push you to the other fee format or not. I do not believe they would but not sure.  They never have me, but I haven't added a genie to my system after they changed their fees formats.

You may or may not need some other equipment changes, that depends on how your system is set up now.  But that is likely included as well.  And Id get rid of the sd receiver and put the hd box on the other tv, not the other way around.  Zero reason to not do that.

Unless they force you to jump to the new fee, or get MRV then no, your bill will NOT change.

With two dvrs, you may find yourself using MRV if you end up with it.

Thanks for the help/info. 

The standard receiver is on a standard tv, a hd receiver wouldn't do anything for it lol. 

And my parents watch the HD-DVR downstairs, and I have a HD upstairs. No reason for us to have a whole home dvr service between them since we watch different things.

Edited by Prea, 23 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well, you already "paid" for the HD receiver, not reason why to give it away.  IIRC, you will pay the $3.00 a month WHDVR service fee regardless as the tech has to set you up for it if your get the Genie, at the very least to share the internet connection.  you can disable playlist sharing if you really want

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the help/info. 

The standard receiver is on a standard tv, a hd receiver wouldn't do anything for it lol. 

And my parents watch the HD-DVR downstairs, and I have a HD upstairs. No reason for us to have a whole home dvr service between them since we watch different things.

Oh, I beg to differ.  I think hd channels look a lot better in sd format than the sd feed most the time.  Plus you'd be set if your tv dies and you have to upgrade,or if you ever decide to turn on mrv, you'd want an hd receiver there, there are no sd ones that will do mrv  Since the pricing is the same, there's no way Id toss an hd in favor of a sd unit.

spam firewall