Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing DirecTV subscriber, how much would it be to upgrade to Genie?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well, you already "paid" for the HD receiver, not reason why to give it away.  IIRC, you will pay the $3.00 a month WHDVR service fee regardless as the tech has to set you up for it if your get the Genie, at the very least to share the internet connection.  you can disable playlist sharing if you really want

What do you mean to share the internet connection? I don't follow. The genie doesn't need to be connected to the internet as far as I know, I don't know what the sharing you are referring to is, and I don't think whole home service has anything to do with internet. But I could be wrong. 

I do have a wired internet connection plugged into the hd-dvr right now (and what will be the genie) if that makes any difference. 

Oh, I beg to differ.  I think hd channels look a lot better in sd format than the sd feed most the time.  Plus you'd be set if your tv dies and you have to upgrade,or if you ever decide to turn on mrv, you'd want an hd receiver there, there are no sd ones that will do mrv  Since the pricing is the same, there's no way Id toss an hd in favor of a sd unit.

Ah yea very good points. I think I'll do that then. 

• inkahauts likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

What do you mean to share the internet connection? I don't follow. The genie doesn't need to be connected to the internet as far as I know, I don't know what the sharing you are referring to is, and I don't think whole home service has anything to do with internet. But I could be wrong. 

I do have a wired internet connection plugged into the hd-dvr right now (and what will be the genie) if that makes any difference. 

You can have whole home with or without internet. Once it's set up, though, you'll have internet at each location.... very nice. You can disable or limit sharing as you wish. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Ah yea very good points. I think I'll do that then. 

As I said on my prior post. The tech is supposed to set your system for WHDVR, this means installing a CCK or using the Genie as a bridge for the Internet  connection.  once this connection is made, all receivers will be able to "pick up" this connection via the SWM/DECA network 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Quick question (don't mean to hijack) but what if there is no internet connection in the home? Will they still install a Genie system?

My internet comes from AT&T 3G.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

They should. Whole home will work without it just fine, but I do not know the specifics of what the installer "should" insist on.

#46 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Quick question (don't mean to hijack) but what if there is no internet connection in the home? Will they still install a Genie system?

My internet comes from AT&T 3G.

They should but may require a phone connection. 

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

neither are required.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

OK, just be sure his installer knows that!! :)

#49 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

OK, just be sure his installer knows that!! :)

so you are saying if customers does not have phone or internet, they cannot have DirecTV?

As much as I hate it, there are many new installs like that, specially mover's connect and new home buyers 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

so you are saying if customers does not have phone or internet, they cannot have DirecTV?

As much as I hate it, there are many new installs like that, specially mover's connect and new home buyers 

I am not close to saying anything of the kind. 

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

I am not close to saying anything of the kind.

It sure sounded something very close to it... !rolling
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

neither are required.

According to the latest customer agreement dated 24 June 2013 it is.  It goes so far as to say you might need separate accounts for more than one TV unless they're all connected to a phone line.

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can “mirror” programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If we detect that any equipment is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line or internet connection, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the equipment is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment

http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

It's not usually enforced but it is a requirement.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#53 OFFLINE   Tyrate

Tyrate

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I was so excited after I got off the phone with my DTV rep that I had to tell someone about the AWESOME deal that they hooked me up with so I ran to the board to let the world know. 

Here's the run down, I'd originally called to cancel a box I was no longer using after it busted and it was in a spare bedroom that no one ever went into or used. Mrs *** the rep started off the experience by given me a $20 discount off my current bill, then I'd asked her about the GENIE boxes I was seeing on these DTV TV commercials and she immediately ordered me 1 cinema box, 1 genie, and 2 additional expansion genies with a free box move to my son's room which is normally an additional charge all for free but she wasn't done yet. She then preceded to give me an additional $50 off my bill for a yr, another $15 off for 15 months and free DVR service for a year. Which lowered my bill from $115 a month to $50 and change a month for a YEAR, Wow!! I would of been perfectly happy with that but since she was feeling so generous I'd figured what the hell let's see what she says about the NFL package and sure enough she gave me 1 yr of the NFL package for free and to put the cherry on top she threw in all the premium channels for 2 months for free as well. Needless to say the rep made my year and has erase any ill feelings I previously had about DTV right away.

All that without a single yell or complaint from me, all I did was start the conversation off in a pleasant tone. 

It should be noted that I've been with DTV for over ten years and I haven't called about any free upgrades in over an year, so I guess they were feeling overly generous with me. Though I thought DTV was losing its grip on its customer service ratings over the past few years they have once again reminded me why they are #1 in customer and TV services! You should also note when speaking on the automated line be sure to say "cancel" when it ask "what are you calling for", it should get you directly to the retention team for help and that's where all the magic happens.

Thanks again DTV for making my year! 

Edited by Tyrate, 26 July 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yes, Mike we know is has been "required" since the early days but I have yet to see anybody being deny service because the lack either or both
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#55 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well, you already "paid" for the HD receiver, not reason why to give it away.  IIRC, you will pay the $3.00 a month WHDVR service fee regardless as the tech has to set you up for it if your get the Genie, at the very least to share the internet connection.  you can disable playlist sharing if you really want

Yea my dad just called about upgrading to genie, and they're telling us we would have to pay the additional $3/month for whole home and that it's required for the genie. I don't see why it would be though.

Edited by Prea, 28 July 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Yea my dad just called about upgrading to genie, and they're telling us we would have to pay the additional $3/month for whole home and that it's required for the genie. I don't see why it would be though.

well all I can say is DirecTV policy.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes, Mike we know is has been "required" since the early days but I have yet to see anybody being deny service because the lack either or both

Though I think installers have to meet a certain metric and have a certain percentage connected either to phone or Internet. I wouldn't think that the required level would be so high though that it would be difficult to meet.

#58 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Though I think installers have to meet a certain metric and have a certain percentage connected either to phone or Internet. I wouldn't think that the required level would be so high though that it would be difficult to meet.

Yes, we the installers have to meet a certain percentage of "responding" boxes. But this should not impact the customer in any way. According to you, installers could deny a prospective customer service if they don't have neither. I am pretty sure DirecTV would balk at this as they would like to collect from the customer
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Directv probably would have an issue with it, but I wouldn't rule it out. I've had an installer drive off in the middle of a job.

#60 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Directv probably would have an issue with it, but I wouldn't rule it out. I've had an installer drive off in the middle of a job.

Because they did not have a responding method? perhaps there was another reason and this was his excuse. calling DirecTV will get you another tech in a heart beat
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...