Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding a NonHD receiver

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have 3 HD receivers with the service/protection plan.

In my ManCave  I have one receiver,,, it is connected to an HD LCD TV,,, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 3 other conventional TVS  via a composite to RCA/analog converter,, then to AV switcher that has coax output,,, that coax feeds the other 3 conventional TVS,,,,,,,,, all works fine  ,,but,,,,,,,,an electronics wires-n-coax-n-converter nightmare.  To clean up the video control shelf,,,, could I just get  an Ebay Receiver,,, STANDARD definition,,,,, then have DirectTV send a card or if it comes with a card,,, have it turned on in my name,,,,will there be additional fees for the added receiver,,,, if I own it , and it is NOT included in the service plan,, if so,, what like 10 bucks a month,,,,, ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wouldn't adding another receiver further complicate your nightmare?

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,912 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Even owned, it have an additional tv fee.

Also, are you in an MPEG4 market? I think several are in Illinois, and most SD boxes won't work with the locals.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

an extra receiver will be $6.00 a month
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

With the  one receiver I have, H21-200,,, you can not use HDMI out,,,and then RCA/AV out to an AV-to-coax converter,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tried it,,,,, standard TVS will not get HBO,,, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to get HBO on standard TVs  [ HDMI TV  must be on ]  AND I had to  go from Composite out,, to a Composite to A/V converter,,then convert the RCA-AV to coax,,,,,, even then I must have the HDMI TV 'on'  or if it  is off,,,, I get a message on the standard TV-s that TV does not support------ blah blah blah-----,,,,, when HDMI  TV is on,,,, everything works,,,believe me I have tried several connections,,,, this is the only one that works,,,,,, to make everything work all the time,,,,  Some how the HBO detects the HDMI connection,,, and HBO has some kind of blocking thing thing if HDMI  connection is detected,,,, but not being used,,,,,,,,,the not supported message appears on standard TV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I can not begin to understand that,,,, but that is sort of how it was explained to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, any other channels work,,, but HBO sends up that message, if HD-HDMI TV is  'off' .

But now get this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the kitchen I have an H20-100,,, with that I use the HDMI out,,, for the HD TV,,, then RCA-AV out to a simple AV to coax converter,,, to run bedroom standard TV,,,,, that works no matter if HD tv is on or off,,,,,I tried to request DirectTV exchange my H-21,,,, for an H-20,,,, they said I could not request, a specific receiver,,,, and that DirectTV  will supply a receiver for one TV,, any other TV would require an additional receiver,,,,, or the customer would have to configure that on their own,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I did.

Did not think about the local channel deal,,,,,, I did get locals  on SD receivers, before I went HD, but had Two  18 dishes,then ,,,,, now I have One Slimline,,, with the 5LNB setup.....

If the fee was say 5 bucks a month,,,, maybe,,,, much more than that,,,,,, I will stick with my wire/coax maze that looks like an alley in Bangkok.

Edited by PtownBubba, 01 July 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

The H20 works because it was never updated to the HD GUI
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Greetings again,,,,,

I just went to my Direct-TV  equipment page ,,,,,,it says I can upgrade to a DVR receiver ,,,,,for free,,,,,, and from that I can 'Genie' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,up to 4 more TV's. I have no interest in the recording capability, but that just comes with the package,,,, so,,, it would appear I could replace my 3 present receivers,, with one HD DVR  receiver, and 3 or 4 genies,,, this will allow all 3-to-4 TV-s to be tuned to any channel,,at any time,,,,, is that correct or is there more to it,,,, will this upgrade be more bang for $$$ ??????

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

If it matters, a Genie can only provide service to itself and up to 3 other locations at the same time, so in theory that would cover your 3-4 tvs but be wary that it can only be up to 3 cleints simultaneously with a Genie as it can only provide 3 remote streams at one time.

#9 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

yup it says this:

An  HD DVR Genie , with an additional Mini Genie for each TV,

In a Genie Whole-Home HD DVR setup, you and your family can watch live or recorded programming on four separate TVs at the same time.

I assume that also means all four can watch different programming ,,,,if not,,, then this is not for me.

#10 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok, so school me...  I was under the impression that each Mini had a tuner in it, and therefore could watch live TV independent of the Genie (HR34 or 44) itself?  It's not a deal breaker for me, since the most I'll be using would be 2 minis anytime in the near future.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Genie is on one tv, then you can have up to 3 other mini clients on other tvs watching simultaneously for 4 tvs.  the clients dont have their own tuners, they each use a tuner from the Genie.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Ok, so school me...  I was under the impression that each Mini had a tuner in it, and therefore could watch live TV independent of the Genie (HR34 or 44) itself?  It's not a deal breaker for me, since the most I'll be using would be 2 minis anytime in the near future.

Yes, you can watch independently from the Genie, but they use a tuner from the Genie as other have mentioned 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

The Genie is on one tv, then you can have up to 3 other mini clients on other tvs watching simultaneously for 4 tvs.  the clients dont have their own tuners, they each use a tuner from the Genie.

Does simultaneously mean all must watch the same thing,,, since the clients have no individual tuners ?????? Or does the Master or main receivers have multiple built in tuners, that deliver to each client,,  to allow different broadcasts on each of the  TV-s????????????

To add to the confusion,,,, I have a SamSung SMART TV,,,,,, so that means one less  client.

How is all this billed,,,,, I have 3 Receivers now,,,,, going with a Genie and  2 or 3 clients,,,, to keep three different broadcast options,,,, will there be any savings ?

Edited by PtownBubba, 08 July 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,908 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

The Genie can send out (to clients) three feeds at the same time. The feed can be live viewing or a recording. A client is either a C31/C41 device or a Smart TV. The three feeds are independent of each other, not all the same thing. In addition, the TV connected directly to the Genie can view live or a recording. The Genie has five independent tuners which can be used for recording, or for viewing by either the local TV or by a client.

Each client location is charged $6 per month whether it is a physical hardware box (C31/C41) or a smart TV.

#15 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

So,,,, I guess,  there is no savings/advantage switching from my 3 present  stand-alone HD receivers, to the single receiver/mini-client setup,, since I have no DVR/TIVO  desires,,, plus, I now have the option of still being able to view Satellite programming, if I would happen to have a receiver failure,,,,,,,

#16 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for clearing that up!  I was under the impression that each Mini had a tuner in it!  So with my setup only having a Genie and a single Mini, I'll only be at 5 tuners, so I could add another DVR and a HD receiver if I really wanted to.  

I'm going to search for this later, but will 2 Genies work together, on the same network, sharing programming via MRV?  I'm due back to work from lunch or I would search it now!

#17 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

he answer to your last question is no. I dont know if there is a technical issue or just DirecTV policy but the limit is one Genie per account
My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

To add to the confusion,,,, I have a SamSung SMART TV,,,,,, so that means one less  client.

Just because you have a "smart TV" it does not necessarily means is RVU compatible 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!  I was under the impression that each Mini had a tuner in it!  So with my setup only having a Genie and a single Mini, I'll only be at 5 tuners, so I could add another DVR and a HD receiver if I really wanted to.  

I'm going to search for this later, but will 2 Genies work together, on the same network, sharing programming via MRV?  I'm due back to work from lunch or I would search it now!

Current policy is 1 Genie per account...they are not yet allowing more than one per account.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...