Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does HBOGO work well for those with DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Explain this to me. If you really want hbo2go, what difference does it make on what device? As you pointed out as your service date time and when the etf matches a months payment. So does Apple TV. Why contemplate dumping a months payment to get out when you can dump the same amount and get what you want?

I just don't understand changing providers over this. I know everyone's priorities are different but I just don't get it.

I don't have 1 Roku, I have 5, and they all see heavy use. The Roku has channels that the Apple TV doesn't, and I don't want to switch. I love what I have and I don't have a single iProduct to go along with an Apple TV and its AirPlay feature.

HBO Go on Roku isn't the only thing that I'm not happy about, but it's a big thing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I don't have 1 Roku, I have 5, and they all see heavy use. The Roku has channels that the Apple TV doesn't, and I don't want to switch. I love what I have and I don't have a single iProduct to go along with an Apple TV and its AirPlay feature.

HBO Go on Roku isn't the only thing that I'm not happy about, but it's a big thing.

Okay. How many Rokus are connected to TVs that don't have directv connected to them? I'm just having problems imagining not having your primary carrier connected to tvs except in extraordinary situations. Since hbo on demand on directv has the same stuff hbogo has, I'm having difficulty seeing the importance of roku especially to the extent I'm hearing complaining here.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Okay. How many Rokus are connected to TVs that don't have directv connected to them?

3 of them. I have rooms in my house that will never see coax as I'm not drilling holes through the front of my house or running it along the ceiling of my family room.

You don't really need to understand my reasons why. I have my personal situation and you have yours. Your failure to comprehend why I want what I want doesn't change the fact the fact that I still want it.

And there's actually a 6th Roku that I take with me when I travel.

I have no use for, nor desire to own anything from Apple. I bought my way out of their product range, and I'm not going back.

#24 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about how well the reliability of HBOGo for D* subs?

For me I've never had any issues...

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,189 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I started to wonder: Are there differences in the delivery pipelines to individuals depending on with which provider they're subscribed?  I doubt it, but.....

• damondlt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

3 of them. I have rooms in my house that will never see coax as I'm not drilling holes through the front of my house or running it along the ceiling of my family room.

You don't really need to understand my reasons why. I have my personal situation and you have yours. Your failure to comprehend why I want what I want doesn't change the fact the fact that I still want it.

And there's actually a 6th Roku that I take with me when I travel.

I have no use for, nor desire to own anything from Apple. I bought my way out of their product range, and I'm not going back.

I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was trying to understand. Your stated position is foreign to me. I don't think I'd ever have a TV without coax, for example. So it doesn't occur to me. Thanks for explaining.

You do have to agree you are an outlier. That's a lot of Rokus and a lot of tvs with only Internet access even for 2013.

Edited by tonyd79, 04 July 2013 - 11:03 AM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I started to wonder: Are there differences in the delivery pipelines to individuals depending on with which provider they're subscribed?  I doubt it, but.....

You doubted right! Your log in is just verification that you are a paying subscriber to HBO. Provider has no effect on the function..  That's what amusing about this thread.  You are Viewing HBO content off HBOs site , not Directv fios or anyone else.

If OP had issues with Fios HBOGO maybe he should have called his internet provider.

#28 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

You doubted right! Your log in is just verification that you are a paying subscriber to HBO. Provider has no effect on the function..  That's what amusing about this thread.  You are Viewing HBO content off HBOs site , not Directv fios or anyone else.

If OP had issues with Fios HBOGO maybe he should have called his internet provider.

How about re-reading the entire post from the OP before getting all high and mighty? Maybe then you'll see that he'd contacted both his provider - FiOS - and HBO and that each side blames the other. It was a simple question. That the thread became contentious over other issues was certainly not my intention.
  • sigma1914 likes this

#29 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

How about re-reading the entire post from the OP before getting all high and mighty? Maybe then you'll see that he'd contacted both his provider - FiOS - and HBO and that each side blames the other. It was a simple question. That the thread became contentious over other issues was certainly not my intention.

Yea HBO Blamed your Fios internet, Not your Fios HBO subscription.

Of course HBO is going to blame your internet provider. Directv doesn't provide internet service so as for your Question goes , it was a pointless one since Directv has nothing to do with how HBO Go is delivered.

#30 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

The OP's problem is with logging in and activation, not with viewing the content and not which products they can or cannot access it on for whatever reason. He contacted them and both HBO and Verizon are blaming eachother.

The provider has a large role in this process, the page you login is hosted by your provider (dtvce.com for DirecTV, verizon.com for FiOS) and it's their servers being accessed to verify if you subscribe to HBO. While the content all comes from HBO, the actual verification process that goes on in the background is different for each provider.
  • sangs likes this

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yea HBO Blamed your Fios internet, Not your Fios HBO subscription.
Of course HBO is going to blame your internet provider. Directv doesn't provide internet service so as for your Question goes , it was a pointless one since Directv has nothing to do with how HBO Go is delivered.

From my use of hbo go, all authentication is handled via a port to the tv provider. I've used it for both fios and directv. The login is from the tv provider not hbo. On at least one platform (I can't remember which), it actually brought up a small window view into the tv providers web page.

Directv and fios don't send usernames and passwords to hbo. Hbo just links you off to your provider. The problem was one of authentication

#32 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Good to know a few of you understood. I actually didn't think it was that challenging a question.

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

. While the content all comes from HBO, the actual verification process that goes on in the background is different for each provider.

Yea the VERIFICATION, That's it! 

Stop trying to make it sound like HBO GO with Directv is any different then HBO go with Dish , Blue Ridge cable or Fios because its NOT. 

HBO go is not Streamed in any way shape or form through Directv.

HBO GO works just the same if I log into my Friends Dish Account, My Blue Ridge Cable account, or my Directv account.  I have Blue ridge Cable internet no matter what I long in under.

Please we don't need anymore , Directv is the Hero threads over HBO go now.  Its only a Verification nothing more.

#34 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yea the VERIFICATION, That's it!
Stop trying to make it sound like HBO GO with Directv is any different then HBO go with Dish , Blue Ridge cable or Fios because its NOT.

HBO go is not Streamed in any way shape or form through Directv.

HBO GO works just the same if I log into my Friends Dish Account, My Blue Ridge Cable account, or my Directv account. I have Blue ridge Cable internet no matter what I long in under.

Please we don't need anymore , Directv is the Hero threads over HBO go now. Its only a Verification nothing more.

The PROBLEM the OP has is with VERIFICATION. That is all we are talking about.

There is no heroism here. Except that some fios customers are having trouble with VERIFICATION. fios recently redid all their web pages. It did not go well. The verification problem is probably related.

And, no, it does NOT work the same if VERIFICATION is not working well for a provider.

That is all.

• sangs likes this

#35 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm referring to my 2 Roku , why does there have to be something else?

I don't think its right I pay for HBO just like everyone else.  But that's not good enough Directv needs me to pay them $12 per month more to put Receivers in my 2 locations I use my Rokus. 

Because you had said it didn't work on "anything" you wanted to use it on.  Which implies more than one type of device to me.  So I was curious -- aside from Roku -- which devices you were referring to.  But I guess you just meant more than 1 Roku.

I agree it's annoying that DirecTV isn't authenticating via Roku at this time.  Perhaps they will now that they've thawed the ice with Apple TV.

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#36 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Is there any reason HBO GO via DirecTV doesn't work with Roku? I use HBO GO on my iPad and love it, but just got a Roku and was sad to learn I couldn't use it. Any timeframe for when support for it might be added? Also, on the same topic, will any other similar apps be made available (Max Go, Showtime Anytime, Starz...)?

#37 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Is there any reason HBO GO via DirecTV doesn't work with Roku? I use HBO GO on my iPad and love it, but just got a Roku and was sad to learn I couldn't use it. Any timeframe for when support for it might be added? Also, on the same topic, will any other similar apps be made available (Max Go, Showtime Anytime, Starz...)?

DirecTV hasn't agreed to verify HBO subscriptions via Roku.  As to "why" there is only speculation.

No timeline for it to be added.  May never be added. 

As to other premium apps -- haven't read anything about Roku support.  Perhaps someone else has.

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#38 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have directv and use hbo go and max go via iPhone 4S with a 3G connection it works pretty good,also works for AirPlay unlike showtime,starz/encore.its good for watching tv at night at pt job I have no wifi at home so I don't use it there.

Edited by REDSKINSFAN47, 26 July 2013 - 12:07 PM.

hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Back to the original question. I have some things via fios. Recently, I had authentication issues out the wazoo for espn3 and epix on line. It was all timeout issues with fios as it took forever to authenticate. Seems okay now.

#40 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I just don't understand the reasoning behind the fact that I can authenticate HBO GO with my iPad and my PC browser, but not the Roku...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...