Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 for Rain Fade issues during storms?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I live in Charleston, SC and we have had the 6th largest amount of rainfall since 1938 this June.  Needless to say more rain fade than normal also.  So my Dish is basically aimed South West, but most of our Broadcast Antenna's are to the North East.  Seems like watching the radar after the major storm moves to the East the Signal comes back.  So it looks like I could watch the locals most of the time when rain fade kicks in.  I have a new dish, LNB, and signals in 90 - 100's range.  I have HD, cinema connect kit and due to get an upgrade later this month.  So any ideas on is it worth getting the AM21??  And is this a viable option to consider??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Recommended yes.  I have a few AM21's.

But you need to have a separate coax run since you can't have WHDVR on the same coax.

#3 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

I agree. The AM21 is a good investment. As stated above you will need a separate coax run to the set top box. Choose an antenna that is for your area if you do not have an antenna. Antenna Web is a good source for over the air antennae.

With the transmission of over the air in digital format rain should not affect it. If you get 25% signal you will have picture.

Ed
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#4 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Do you have the ability to just plug ur OTA antenna into your TV? Thats what I do. Unless your worried about missing a recording,

you can save $50 by doing that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#5 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Much smarter to buy it at Amazon now at 45.00 so you will have OTA channels in the guide, many that Directv does not have on the SAT. Unless they have the channel in their database it will not come into the AM21. However there is a way I have discovered to bring most of the channels into the DVR that Directv does not seem to want to take the time to add and that is to use zip codes from other cities that have those channels. This will not work on the THR22 Tivo HDDVR but it gets several more channels than the HR24. Here in Dallas/Fort Worth I have ME TV 24/7, HOT TV, Retro TV, THIS TV, Bounce and Movies. 1st you scan your local zip code then enter 27612 for secondary. Then later you again do your local then add 90001 as secondary. This is for the Dallas area again but it gets more channels than most anyone else can into the DVR!

#6 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

OK:  Thanks for the quick replies.  I am ordering a AM21 this morning from Amazon.  Not sure of Antenna yet, but I will figure that out.  I have one enclosed in the attic from about 10 years ago I may check that one out again.   Now a wiring question?  Do I need to run a separate coax from the AM21 back to the 8 way splitter?  I am fixing to upgrade to the genie and they will be replacing it with a 16 but right now I do not have a empty slot on my 8 Way to put it.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I do have TV's capable of direct input of Antenna but sorta thought of Whole Home might be more desirable.

#7 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Keep the OTA coax isolated from the satellite coax.

Also if you have an HR34/44 it will scan for OTA channels. If you recieve any that aren't in D*s database, they'll shoe in the guide but will only say "Regular Schedule"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...