Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best Way to Record or Offload DVR Recorded Content?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sansabar

sansabar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOusley, GA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

I may need to change DVR boxes again but  I don't want to lose my recorded programming (again).

What is the best way to record this stuff off to a different dvr box?

If so, what is a good box and the way to do it?

Not planning on keeping them forever - just until I can get them watched.

Thanks for any help.

No matter where you go, there you are.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

First, DVR to DVR transfers is not possible. the only way is to do it in real time to a DVR-R or VCR or video capture hardware/software to a PC/Mac
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   sansabar

sansabar

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOusley, GA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Thanks. I figured this was the route I would need to take. Thanks for the confirmation.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Kinda a clunky route. Why not pay for one more month  with the old receiver, and watch the stuff you have recorded.

What DVR now, and what are you getting?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   sansabar

sansabar

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOusley, GA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

HR21-700. Starting to get some stalls, etc.

I'm in the protection plan and I'm eligible for the latest upgrade - which I believe would be The HR44.

If it will work out I may be able to drop the H23-600 in my shop 100 ft away and run one of those Genie extension boxes.

In the process of looking into the pros/cons.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Most likely if you simply detach the cable, you can watch your recorded material on your set of choice with out additional cabling. Just hook another HDMI cable to your TV. Ignore the "can't watch" or other admonitions and go to List. 

#7 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

HR21-700. Starting to get some stalls, etc.

I'm in the protection plan and I'm eligible for the latest upgrade - which I believe would be The HR44.

My HR23-700 died 10 days ago. I was hoping I'd get at least a HR24, but they sent me a perfect exact replacement - another HR23-700.

Admittedly, I don't have protection plan, so maybe that's the difference.... or maybe I should have haggled.

Still, I guess they could have sent me a HR20/21/22....  :-)

I knew that moving the recordings was near impossible, as detailed above. But I wondered if anyone has devised a way to at least get the other DVR settings out of the box. Channel lists, season passes, recording defaults, etc. There's the USB port right on the front panel (at least on the HR23). It would be sweet if we could plug in a flash drive, press a couple of buttons, and dump that stuff out as a back-up in case the HR ever dies....

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

just make full copy of old drive to new one (eSATA is a best route), then delete all recordings as meaningless bogger

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

My HR23-700 died 10 days ago. I was hoping I'd get at least a HR24, but they sent me a perfect exact replacement - another HR23-700.
Admittedly, I don't have protection plan, so maybe that's the difference.... or maybe I should have haggled.
Still, I guess they could have sent me a HR20/21/22.... :-)

I knew that moving the recordings was near impossible, as detailed above. But I wondered if anyone has devised a way to at least get the other DVR settings out of the box. Channel lists, season passes, recording defaults, etc. There's the USB port right on the front panel (at least on the HR23). It would be sweet if we could plug in a flash drive, press a couple of buttons, and dump that stuff out as a back-up in case the HR ever dies....

no way to copy settings using USB
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

just make full copy of old drive to new one (eSATA is a best route), then delete all recordings as meaningless bogger

I thought it was not possible to copy your internal drive contents to an external drive, only have the external drive supersede an internal drive. So I'd have to redo the channel lists, season passes, etc, if I plugged in an external drive to my HR23. And then that external drive with stuff on it (recordings or settings) is mated to the original HRxx only and can't be moved to a new one.

Or does all that only apply to recordings, not settings?

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yes, recordings (video/audio part) are "mated" to original DVR.

No limit to copy internal/external to other drive. You could do the XFS copy using Linux environment.

They are the same while not switching a drive between two families HR2x and HR3x/4x.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

You can copy the drives, internal or external doesnt matter, but the internal would have to be removed from the dvr to perform the copy.....that drive can then be hooked up to any other dvr on your acct, and all info is intact, just none of the recordings are playable.  But it does alleviate the need to redo all your SL's and settings.....

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I was under impression (too much reading the forums perhaps) SL would be available after moving the drive to other DVR ...

Hope someone who did that, will shine here, in the thread.

#14 OFFLINE   Kromagg73

Kromagg73

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

There is another option if you want to save those recordings to your computer, it's called the Genie GO. It just came out and you would have to purchase it, then it will prepare the download to the Genie Go from the Receiver. Once you do that, you can transfer it to the computer, etc. Direactv charges about $199 for the Genie Go, but you might be able to find it on Ebay cheaper.  That's another option you can try if you don't want to use a External Hard Drive which also will work for pulling the recordings off of the receiver and that might be a cheaper way to go, but you would have to get an eSATA cable to connect to your receiver on the back into the eSATA port.

Edited by Kromagg73, 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

or if your box have BCM7411/7412 chips, using R-5000HD board/SW

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Whoa! 

Way simpler to set up afresh. It really is probably less onerous then you fear. You don't have to enter all SLs in one go. You can build custom lists over time. 

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

There is another option if you want to save those recordings to your computer, it's called the Genie GO. It just came out and you would have to purchase it, then it will prepare the download to the Genie Go from the Receiver. Once you do that, you can transfer it to the computer, etc. Direactv charges about $199 for the Genie Go, but you might be able to find it on Ebay cheaper.  That's another option you can try if you don't want to use a External Hard Drive which also will work for pulling the recordings off of the receiver and that might be a cheaper way to go, but you would have to get an eSATA cable to connect to your receiver on the back into the eSATA port.

While with the GenieGo you can watch DVR recordings on your PC, it is by no means a way to save those recordings since they are encrypted by the GenieGo software and those recordings expires in 30 days 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

And they are down-rezzed to look good on an iPad mini.....

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

That's where R-5000HD shine. Full rez and does not encrypted !

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

The GenieGo was originally the Nomad, just rebranded.  And it's only $99 which is the purchase price, not a leased price.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...