Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: Please DROP KAIT Ch 8 in Jonesboro

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just saw an ad on this station asking us to call Dish to get them to keep the station in the Dish lineup.  Posting this here in hopes a DIRT member will see it and pass it along.

As far as I am concerned, if they want more money, DROP THEM!!!

First of all, I watch very little on that channel.  It was only by accident that the TV was on it this morning.

Second, I and almost everone else in the Jonesboro, AR DMA can get this station over the air with an indoor antenna, or in the really fringe areas maybe a modest outdoor antenna.  I have lived in the some of the most distant parts of the KAIT coverage area for the last 40 years, and have frequently used nothing but a folded dipole, and often even an indoor twinlead folded dipole.

Finally, and the big one to me, is that KAIT is the only local station that is provided in my DMA that does not have an HD signal being carried on the sats.  I have looked this up, and the three Memphis stations and the statewide PBS network are all carried in HD on the same satellites I receive, but because KAIT is not, I am not allowed to get CBS, NBC or FOX in HD (I get PBS OTA in HD, but the other networks have no stations close enough for OTA).  So, if dropping KAIT will get me the other networks in HD, I definately say DROP THEM!

So, just to summarize, in case it is not clear.  If KAIT Channel 8 in Jonesboro wants any more money, instead of paying them, I ask that Dish DROP THEM!!

Of course, this is only my opinion, and there may be others in this region who disagree.  But I see only Cons to giving in to any rate increase they want, and absolutely no Pros.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

KEEP KAIT8. We don't live in Jonesboro, and cannot receive it OTA.

#3 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Well, I don't live in Jonesboro either.  I see you are in Cherokee Village.  I grew up about 10 miles west of CV (farther from Jonesboro than you are) and we were always able to receive Ch 8 just on rabbit ears.  I know digital is a little more difficult, but as I was just watching ch 8 a few weeks ago with a twinlead dipole in a window, I don't think it is that much harder.

I just hate to see Dish give in every time a station wants more money.  I really have never understood why locals need to get any money from cable or sat companies.  Seems to me that more viewers=better ratings=better ad revenue.  My whole reason for going to Dish was to save money.  I realize that an increase in what they pay to my local won't specifically raise my rates, but the more Dish has to pay out the more they eventually have to raise rates.  Considering the number of "cord cutters" I keep hearing about, it looks like the local stations would get the idea that they aren't gaining anything by causing carriers to raise prices to the point that customers look to other sources.

A good example is the local cable company where I live.  They had a big price increase last year, and I would say that I know of at least 25% of their customers here dropped them, so many that in some areas they were taking down trunk cables to save money on utility pole charges.

The ONLY way that Dish should pay more for KAIT is if it gets KAIT on the satellite in HD, so that we can get all of the networks in HD.  A better solution would be if those of us in the western part of the DMA could get locals from Little Rock (getting them from Memphis is just ridiculous) but that is subject for a different post.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

We do value all of our customer’s feedback when it comes to channels and programming they want and do not want in their package. I will forward your thoughts and thanks for being a DISH customer!

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Drop 'em.  Drop any station that tries to get an increase.  Raycom is now running the same 'poor-poor-pitiful-us' begging scrawl.  Recently they were running one against Mediacom cable, but not I see one against Dish.

Drop 'em.  They'll be the ones losing viewers.  I still don't understand why locals are getting paid anything for carriage, they should be paying since they're getting so many more viewers.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I fully agree.  I just saw where WLBT, our NBC Raycom affiliate AND WJTV, our CBS Media General affiliate In Jackson, MS are BOTH "negotiating" with Dish and issuing the threats.  Nothing more than extortion. My opinion is that if an OTA station wants to get paid, SURRENDER the OTA spectrum completely FIRST!

#7 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPocahontas,Arkansas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

If you drop our local KAIT Jonesboro station we will drop you, we will be going with Sudden Link,we should be able to watch our local news and weather, we tried before with a digital antenna and it did not work, we live in Pocahontas..

#8 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

If you drop our local KAIT Jonesboro station we will drop you, we will be going with Sudden Link,we should be able to watch our local news and weather, we tried before with a digital antenna and it did not work, we live in Pocahontas..

We can certainly understand your frustration and we do not want to lose any of our customers. We hope to reach a fair agreement as soon as possible! Thank you for your feedback.

Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#9 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

The worst thing you can do is switch tv providers every time one of your local channels is having trouble negotiating a contract with one of the providers (cable, Dish, Directv). It just encourages the local channel to use that tactic every time they're looking for more money and if it works it just means your tv bill goes up even more. It's a pretty safe bet that next year or the year after this same channel will be having the same problem with the local cable company and will be telling you to switch to satellite and the year after that with Directv and so on. And they're counting on people just like you to jump from tv provider to tv provider every time so they can use it as leverage in negotiations against the providers to get more and more money and meanwhile you'll probably then turn around and call your tv provider and demand to know why your bill keeps going up.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Dish should drop any and all networks that try to extort higher fees.  Let the networks do with less viewers and suffer the financial loss for a while.

RayCom media is running the same big-meanie-Dish-poor-poor-pitiful-us crybaby crawls.

Dump'em

Bet the Dirts won't respond to that though.

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

And in the NYC market there is a dispute between CBS and TW cable. It happens everywhere with every provider, cable or Satellite. Jump every time and You'll always be jumping sooner or later. In my case I have basic cable (optimum) and Satellite.

http://www.northjers...ores__WCBS.html

Ultimately, the two agreed to a new cutoff of 5 p.m. Friday to reach an accord about how much Time Warner Cable should pay CBS to carry its stations' signals in markets such as New York, Los Angeles and Dallas.

I wouldn't care except is annoying to have these bid crawls telling me about it, I'm on satellite not TW cable.

As I see it these disputes are the new normal.

Cheers

TB

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Donna E:  Don't know if you are watching this thread, but wanted to say that unless you live in a canyon, you should be able to get KAIT with a pretty simple antenna.  Pocahontas is less than 30 miles from the transmitter, and I don't think there are any big hills in between.  You will have the added advantage of getting it in HD, and getting the local weather on KAIT-2.

I just wish there was the possibility of getting CBS, NBC and FOX OTA where I live, so I could get them in HD also.

Maybe a DIRT member could answer this:  If the loss of KAIT does become permanent,  since all the other locals I receive are actually in HD on the satellites I am pointed at, could we start getting them in HD in this LATA?  I say this because I have checked and found that WMC, WREG and WHBQ are all listed as available in HD in the Memphis LATA on one of the sats I am using (can't remember which one, but I double checked it at the time), and also the Arkansas PBS system, AETN, is in HD for the Little Rock LATA.  Only other local we get in the Jonesboro LATA is KVTJ which is not in HD at all.

So, KAIT is the only holdup for the "everything or nothing must be HD as far as locals" rule, so with KAIT gone can we get the rest in HD, since they are already there anyway????

#13 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

Donna E:  Don't know if you are watching this thread, but wanted to say that unless you live in a canyon, you should be able to get KAIT with a pretty simple antenna.  Pocahontas is less than 30 miles from the transmitter, and I don't think there are any big hills in between.  You will have the added advantage of getting it in HD, and getting the local weather on KAIT-2.

I just wish there was the possibility of getting CBS, NBC and FOX OTA where I live, so I could get them in HD also.

Maybe a DIRT member could answer this:  If the loss of KAIT does become permanent,  since all the other locals I receive are actually in HD on the satellites I am pointed at, could we start getting them in HD in this LATA?  I say this because I have checked and found that WMC, WREG and WHBQ are all listed as available in HD in the Memphis LATA on one of the sats I am using (can't remember which one, but I double checked it at the time), and also the Arkansas PBS system, AETN, is in HD for the Little Rock LATA.  Only other local we get in the Jonesboro LATA is KVTJ which is not in HD at all.

So, KAIT is the only holdup for the "everything or nothing must be HD as far as locals" rule, so with KAIT gone can we get the rest in HD, since they are already there anyway????

We were getting KAIT in full HD and the local weather with our dish sattelite, we should not be required to buy a converter box and antenna to get the local channels, we tried with an indoor antenna before and got nothing. Dish network has breached the contract, we signed with them because they offered KAIT in full HD. 

#14 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

We can certainly understand your frustration and we do not want to lose any of our customers. We hope to reach a fair agreement as soon as possible! Thank you for your feedback.

I called dish network about 2 weeks ago, I was told that an agreement had been reached and we would continue to receive KAIT as we always had. I do not appreciate being lied to..

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

We were getting KAIT in full HD and the local weather with our dish sattelite, we should not be required to buy a converter box and antenna to get the local channels, we tried with an indoor antenna before and got nothing. Dish network has breached the contract, we signed with them because they offered KAIT in full HD. 

You don't need a converter box, just plug an antenna into your Dish receiver. 

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Actually if you read the contract you'll see that Dish doesn't promise you any particular channels and that they're allowed to drop or add any channels at anytime. By the way Dish would like nothing more than to continue to bring you KAIT, they made the offer to the owner of that station to keep the station on the air while they continued negotiating but they refused and pulled the rights from Dish to rebroadcast it. Your best bet is to contact the station, of course they'll try to tell you Dish isn't offering them a fair deal but the truth of the matter just comes down to the fact that Raycom wants more money and that's why your local channel is off the air.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#17 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Ditto to what tsmacro said.  The "blame" here is not with Dish, it is with the TV stations wanting something they don't deserve.

Also Donna, some other stuff you said doesn't make sense.  How were you getting KAIT in "Full HD" from dish, when according to the channel listings I saw KAIT is not carried on the satellites in HD?  Also, is Pocahontas not in the Jonesboro LATA?  If so, then you should not be getting any locals in HD.  And finally, if you were seeing this in HD, then you don't need a converter.  You may not have an OTA tuner in your dish receiver (I spent the extra $35 for one a long time ago) but if you have an HDTV then you could just plug an antenna into the TV directly without any kind of converter.  I have put together antennas for KAIT for strong signal areas like yours for as little as a couple of dollars in the past, so not a big expense.

Of more concern for me now is the loss of WMC in Memphis, which is the NBC local, but sense there is only one NBC show I have watched in the past year on, and I can get it online the next day, that isn't too big a concern either.  From where I am at, getting locals other than KAIT and AETN OTA is just not possible without a super big antenna and tower (I have checked with TVfool, and would need about a 200 foot tower.  Not worth it).

Aereo, when are you coming to Arkansas?

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Dish network has breached the contract,

Wrong.

#19 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Ditto to what tsmacro said.  The "blame" here is not with Dish, it is with the TV stations wanting something they don't deserve.

Also Donna, some other stuff you said doesn't make sense.  How were you getting KAIT in "Full HD" from dish, when according to the channel listings I saw KAIT is not carried on the satellites in HD?  Also, is Pocahontas not in the Jonesboro LATA?  If so, then you should not be getting any locals in HD.  And finally, if you were seeing this in HD, then you don't need a converter.  You may not have an OTA tuner in your dish receiver (I spent the extra $35 for one a long time ago) but if you have an HDTV then you could just plug an antenna into the TV directly without any kind of converter.  I have put together antennas for KAIT for strong signal areas like yours for as little as a couple of dollars in the past, so not a big expense.

Of more concern for me now is the loss of WMC in Memphis, which is the NBC local, but sense there is only one NBC show I have watched in the past year on, and I can get it online the next day, that isn't too big a concern either.  From where I am at, getting locals other than KAIT and AETN OTA is just not possible without a super big antenna and tower (I have checked with TVfool, and would need about a 200 foot tower.  Not worth it).

Aereo, when are you coming to Arkansas?

When we went to Dish NetWork we were given an HD satellite, we have always gotten KAIT in full 1080 HD, and yes, KAIT is carried in full HD on satellite..

#20 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

When we went to Dish NetWork we were given an HD satellite, we have always gotten KAIT in full 1080 HD, and yes, KAIT is carried in full HD on satellite..

Hmmmm.....this is curious because all the research I do says that Dish doesn't deliver HD locals to the Jonesboro, AR DMA. I mean I suppose it's possible the info on Dish's website is incorrect as well as James Long's local list isn't up to date. Makes me wonder things like if there is an antenna hooked up to get an HD picture. I hope it isn't a case where a tech just stretched or zoomed the picture and said "there you go HD". On the other hand I do see where half the channels in this DMA are SV from Memphis so I can understand why KAIT would have above average loyalty as it is one of the actual channels local to Jonesboro. None the less pay tv customers still don't do themselves any favors regarding their bill when they change providers when a channel is having a dispute with one of the tv providers.

spam firewall