Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: Please DROP KAIT Ch 8 in Jonesboro

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Donna, where do you get your information on what is on the Satellites?  The list on this page:

http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

clearly shows that all locals in the Jonesboro DMA are in SD, and shows KAIT as SD on Sat 129.  KAIT is not listed as being carried in any DMA outside of Jonesboro.

Also, although you have an HD receiver, that does not mean everything you watch is in HD.  The signal from the receiver to the TV may be 1080, but that is not the same as the KAIT signal being HD on the satellite downlink.  I know for a fact (because I can receive it OTA directly to my HDTV) that KAIT only transmits a 720p signal, but even that is not carried on Dish (unless it was VERY recently changed and James' list hasn't been updated).

Edited by Lifesaver2000, 01 August 2013 - 02:42 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I just realized, I have been saying LATA where I should say DMA.  Sorry, too much going on.

Edit: once again tsmacro said what I was going to say.

Edited by Lifesaver2000, 01 August 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

tsmacro:  the stretch thing does go on a lot.  My inlaws have a small HDTV (about 37") and they keep it on zoom all the time, so the SD locals don't look much different than the actual HD channels.  It is quite obvious though on a bigger tv.

I will also mention that I know of at least four local dish users besides me, and they all have locals in SD.  I also know a bunch of people who use an address outside this DMA so they can get the Little Rock locals, and don't mind a bit that they don't have KAIT since all there locals actually are HD.

And on a final note. When I signed up for Dish, the plan I got clearly said that locals were a free bonus.  So, I don't see they owe me any kind of rebate, no matter what the TV stations want to say.

#24 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

tsmacro:  the stretch thing does go on a lot.  My inlaws have a small HDTV (about 37") and they keep it on zoom all the time, so the SD locals don't look much different than the actual HD channels.  It is quite obvious though on a bigger tv.

I will also mention that I know of at least four local dish users besides me, and they all have locals in SD.  I also know a bunch of people who use an address outside this DMA so they can get the Little Rock locals, and don't mind a bit that they don't have KAIT since all there locals actually are HD.

And on a final note. When I signed up for Dish, the plan I got clearly said that locals were a free bonus.  So, I don't see they owe me any kind of rebate, no matter what the TV stations want to say.

Actually streching the picture ruined HD for me in the early days of HD tv's. I was over someones house oh something like 12 years ago, never had seen an HD tv before and behold he had this big ol widescreen projection HD tv that took up a big chunk of real estate in his living room. He was bragging on his HD picture and I was looking at it because to me the picture didn't really look all that clear, sure it was big but the people looked "funny" kinda plump and "wide". I mentioned this and was told by Mr. Ohsoproudofhistv that the reason it looked that way to me was because that's what the people "actually looked like in real life" and it was just because I was used to seeing people "squished and grainy" on an "old fashioned tv" and thats why the people looked "funny" to me. So after leaving there i thought why the heck would i ever I want to spend all that money on an HD tv when the picture looked like that? Of course later on i realized what I had witnessed that day was a person who had an SD picture stretched on their HD tv and didn't have a clue. Funny how many people will still do that just to "fill up" their tv screen and think they're watching HD.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#25 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

to me, most of these disputes over local stations are being caused by sports greed, which is where sports get greedy with fees to broadcast a sporting a event on a network and the network in turns does the same to get back some lost money by asking their non-owned and operated affiliates to ask for an increase in their carriage fees on the new  contract after the old one expires. same with the network's owned and operated stations, they want that increase in fees too. so blame sports for most of the local channels disputes as sporting events get more and more expensive for their rights. and you wonder why ESPN is so expensive. 

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#26 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPocahontas,Arkansas

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hmmmm.....this is curious because all the research I do says that Dish doesn't deliver HD locals to the Jonesboro, AR DMA. I mean I suppose it's possible the info on Dish's website is incorrect as well as James Long's local list isn't up to date. Makes me wonder things like if there is an antenna hooked up to get an HD picture. I hope it isn't a case where a tech just stretched or zoomed the picture and said "there you go HD". On the other hand I do see where half the channels in this DMA are SV from Memphis so I can understand why KAIT would have above average loyalty as it is one of the actual channels local to Jonesboro. None the less pay tv customers still don't do themselves any favors regarding their bill when they change providers when a channel is having a dispute with one of the tv providers.

We do not have any kind of antenna hooked up, we were getting KAIT in full HD, when the news came on it even said in full HD, It was like being in the same room with the news casters, we have a 50" full 1080 HD flat screen television, it was awesome to watch the news on, we don't watch too many other KAIT programs but like keeping up with our local news and weather.  I don't understand why people keep saying we were not watching KAIT in full HD, why would anyone lie about something like that? I know quite a few people with Dish Network who had KAIT in full HD, WITH NO ANTENNA OF ANY KIND..

#27 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Actually streching the picture ruined HD for me in the early days of HD tv's. I was over someones house oh something like 12 years ago, never had seen an HD tv before and behold he had this big ol widescreen projection HD tv that took up a big chunk of real estate in his living room. He was bragging on his HD picture and I was looking at it because to me the picture didn't really look all that clear, sure it was big but the people looked "funny" kinda plump and "wide". I mentioned this and was told by Mr. Ohsoproudofhistv that the reason it looked that way to me was because that's what the people "actually looked like in real life" and it was just because I was used to seeing people "squished and grainy" on an "old fashioned tv" and thats why the people looked "funny" to me. So after leaving there i thought why the heck would i ever I want to spend all that money on an HD tv when the picture looked like that? Of course later on i realized what I had witnessed that day was a person who had an SD picture stretched on their HD tv and didn't have a clue. Funny how many people will still do that just to "fill up" their tv screen and think they're watchini 

I have also seen this, we actually have full 1080 HD, it is like being right where the action is, Dish Network has quite a few HD channels, why would anyone want to stretch an SD picture on an HD television?

#28 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Donna, where do you get your information on what is on the Satellites?  The list on this page:

http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

clearly shows that all locals in the Jonesboro DMA are in SD, and shows KAIT as SD on Sat 129.  KAIT is not listed as being carried in any DMA outside of Jonesboro.

Also, although you have an HD receiver, that does not mean everything you watch is in HD.  The signal from the receiver to the TV may be 1080, but that is not the same as the KAIT signal being HD on the satellite downlink.  I know for a fact (because I can receive it OTA directly to my HDTV) that KAIT only transmits a 720p signal, but even that is not carried on Dish (unless it was VERY recently changed and James' list hasn't been updated).

I know what HD looks like, also when KAIT news comes on it says in full HD, I never said that everything is in HD, I said KAIT is in HD, we have had full HD with KAIT since we got Dish Network a year and a half ago, I really don't care if you believe me, we know what we were getting..

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

when KAIT news comes on it says in full HD,

Their advertising logo doesn't mean Dish is rebroadcasting it that way.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#30 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Donna, please don't take things personally.  I never said you are lying, but I do believe you are mistaken, based on the available information here and from Dish, all of which says that local programming in the Jonesboro DMA is in SD.  And as SayWhat states, having the HD logo on screen does not mean things are actually in HD.

Here is something to look for.  When I watch KAIT over the air and with the TV screen aspect ratio set to normal, the news will fill the full 16:9 screen.  This is also true for ABC network programming.  But, when Wheel of Fortune comes on at 6:30, it will appear in a 4:3 aspect ratio box in the middle of the screen, filling the screen top to bottom but with black bars on the left and right.  This is because KAIT transmits most of their non-network programming other than news programs in a 4:3 format.

If you see both the News and Wheel of fortune filling the entire screen, then you have the aspect ratio stretched or zoomed as someone above mentioned, most likely because it is an SD signal being stretched to fill the HD screen.

I will say again that nobody accused anyone of lying, but I do know that in my 35 years of working with electronics, home entertainment and computers I have come across many non-technical people that don't really understand how these kinds of things work.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There are lots of things I don't know anything about.  But as I said above, all the available evidence states that KAIT is NOT available in HD on Dish Network.

And if you don't believe me, go to this web page:   http://www.dish.com/...vl=main-content

and enter your ZIP code.  Dish itself lists all of the local channels as being in SD.  Why would THEY lie?

#31 OFFLINE   Donna E

Donna E

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

All I know is that when we watch KAIT it is in HD, the picture is not stretched, that is why we went with Dish in the first place, they told us it would be in full HD..

#32 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Donna, please don't take things personally.  I never said you are lying, but I do believe you are mistaken, based on the available information here and from Dish, all of which says that local programming in the Jonesboro DMA is in SD.  And as SayWhat states, having the HD logo on screen does not mean things are actually in HD.

Here is something to look for.  When I watch KAIT over the air and with the TV screen aspect ratio set to normal, the news will fill the full 16:9 screen.  This is also true for ABC network programming.  But, when Wheel of Fortune comes on at 6:30, it will appear in a 4:3 aspect ratio box in the middle of the screen, filling the screen top to bottom but with black bars on the left and right.  This is because KAIT transmits most of their non-network programming other than news programs in a 4:3 format.

If you see both the News and Wheel of fortune filling the entire screen, then you have the aspect ratio stretched or zoomed as someone above mentioned, most likely because it is an SD signal being stretched to fill the HD screen.

I will say again that nobody accused anyone of lying, but I do know that in my 35 years of working with electronics, home entertainment and computers I have come across many non-technical people that don't really understand how these kinds of things work.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There are lots of things I don't know anything about.  But as I said above, all the available evidence states that KAIT is NOT available in HD on Dish Network.

And if you don't believe me, go to this web page:   http://www.dish.com/...vl=main-content

and enter your ZIP code.  Dish itself lists all of the local channels as being in SD.  Why would THEY lie?

She could be right, if you look up the following zip code: 13905 you'll find that they list the Binghamton, NY DMA as being in SD only. I happen to know from James Long's uplink report that a month or two ago that they added HD locals, that and I grew up in that area so I know some people there so I checked with them and sure enough they do have HD locals even though the Dish site says no, that and if you call Dish they'll tell you they don't have them even though they do. She seems to understand what the difference between an HD picture looks like and a stretched and or zoomed one so it's possible it really is in HD. I like you was trying to figure out how that was possible considering the evidence against it but ultimately she's there and we're not.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#33 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

tsmacro, I am in the Jonesboro DMA, just a few miles from Donna, and there are no locals in HD.

• tsmacro likes this

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

The named station in question, KAIT, is not carried in HD via DISH network satellites.

It is not there. One cannot receive via DISH something that they do not transmit.
  • tsmacro likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#35 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

If Aero prevails in all of their lawsuits, then maybe Dish will start integrating that technology in their receivers and these retrans battles will be a thing of the past.  I'm sure that will result in more lawsuits, but Charlie would welcome the challenge.  Heck, I'm surprised that Charlie didn't buy Aero so he could be involved in another lawsuit.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#36 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

James, thank you.  If anyone knows it would be you.  I was actually hoping I was wrong, because that would mean I could start getting my locals in HD.  Maybe some day.

I will say that this discussion brings up something else, namely the misinformation and impossible promises that are thrown out by some (hopefully very few) less-than-completely-honest installers, whether it be Dish, Direct or cable.  These bad ones surely make it hard on the rest.

I am lucky that my Dish installer is someone with whom I work in my normal public safety related job, and I could trust I would get what I was told.  If anything, my Dish service has exceeded my expectations (I know, not something you hear often).

In my area, I am "That Guy," the one people will call up at random with computer or electronics questions.  I have seen some pretty unbelievable setups.  Like the people who think that adding two speakers in the back of the room wired in to the same output channels as the front speakers gives them surround sound.  Or the guy who thinks that he is watching HDTV with a DVD player plugged in via a composite input.  Sometimes I almost hate to tell them what they really have, because they seem so happy just "knowing" that it is surround or HD.

More than once I have had to go in to someone's house, completely disconnect EVERYTHING and start wiring up the TV, Stereo and audio/video sources from scratch, sometimes changing things people have been using for a long time.  Of course, when they see what their system can really look/sound like, it is a mix of "wow, I didn't know it could be that good" and "you mean I have been missing out on this all this time?"

The point is, there are many good people out there that are lied to and taken advantage of when it comes to home entertainment, and that is why when I see this kind of thing I try so hard to set the record straight.  I hope nobody has been hurt or offended by anything I have said here.

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Its possible those that tried to get KAIT and couldnt were using a "digital" antenna, which is usually UHF only.  To get KAIT you need a VHF-hi antenna like this: http://www.winegardd...-(YA1713)&post=

Edited by Davenlr, 03 August 2013 - 05:45 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 OFFLINE   jrcart

jrcart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

We moved to the Jonesboro area from Woodruff Co. a couple of years ago. In Woodruff Co. We received the Little Rock locals in HD. When we moved to Jonesboro we had Dish installed here and of course could not get the locals in HD. Plus we were not able to get the Little Rock locals either. Very disappointed! It didn't take long for us to switch to Directv because the locals were in HD. The only problem with that was KAIT is the only Arkansas station we could get. The other stations are in Kentucky or in Missouri. What I would like to see is that somehow a law could get passed to allow us to get any local that is available in their spot beam that we wanted.

#39 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

jrcart, I agree on the law change.  Locals should at least stay within the state.  If you are in Jonesboro, the Memphis stations do include your area in their news and weather coverage.  Over here in the western part of the Jonesboro DMA, without KAIT we have NO local weather coverage.  That means nothing on Dish right now would cover us in the event of severe weather, unless The Weather Channel happened to mention it.  On the other hand, the Little Rock stations cover the entire state.

Seems kind of weird that when big news happens there will be two or three news vans from Little Rock stations, none from Memphis, but then we get Memphis stations.  Makes no sense to me.

Of course, as I've mentioned I have KAIT OTA.  And since I got a weather radio I really haven't depended on the TV for weather info.  But I know a lot of people that do.

• jrcart likes this

spam firewall